cruising with a 1 year old and 2 year old

volvo geek

haven't been on a cruise in 10 years. 2 kids in 2 years... a lot has changed! looking for advice from people who have cruised with young kids.

our last 4 vacations were trips to Hawaii. really don't want to put young kids on a plan at all if avoidable.

we are looking at NCL's breakaway leaving from nyc in dec 2014 to florida, Bahamas. we can reach this port with out getting on a plane, and our youngest will be over a year by then.

the forward facing suite would be at the very top of our budget, but i was thinking that the extra space and bath tub would be a huge advantage. if anyone has booked a suite before, we'd love to hear about your experience.

thanks in advance! :)

I have 2 girls 1 and 6. We have been cruising with both of them since they were 5 mos. I have tons of advice that I have picked up along the way. It may be easier to help you if you pose particular questions that you have. We have never travelled in a suite - some insides, many ocean views. Personally I don't do balconies anymore when I'm with my kids. I don't feel comfortable with that. There are many people who do though. A bathtub is useful but not required IMO. We conditioned ours to showers early on.

We booked a suite for our first cruise this past September on Grandeur of the Seas with our 4 y/o son. We used similar reasons as you - more space. Little ones can get tired and overwhelmed by too many people or too much stuff, so we wanted a room big enough to hang out in (just in case). Also, we were traveling during prime hurricane season, so no telling what kind of weather we would hit. You will be going in winter, so there will be a few cold days going out and coming back, so again having a bit more space will be nice. I am not sure what perks come with suites on NCL, but I hear they are very good. The ones that came with our suite, the ones that mattered to us - early embarkation and early disembarkation (little ones do not always have the most patience waiting), in room dining - we could order breakfast, lunch, and dinner off the MDR menu. This was a must because we had no idea how our son would do in the MDR. He hated it, but did like sitting outside the WJ, so we did not use this perk that much; however, it was nice when we did.

we do balcony with dd, space hasn't been an issue, but we've been on Disney which has bigger rooms. At 1 and 2, they pretty much turn anything into fun. Mine had a blast with a flip flop and a ball. One night she pushed chairs around an empty deck.

Best tip-go with the flow. Plan downtime, be aware they kids may need more sleep/rest or may eat more. DD was only on one nap last time, but needed quiet time before dinner or another nap.

On day one, get a few snacks, banana, boxes of cereal, whatever to keep in the room for I NEED A SNACK NOW moments. We also use prepackaged food for ports. Though if you have a suite I think they have snacks for you, depending on the ship.

I wish last time we had stayed on the ship rather than getting off in ports. This time, I have fun things planned, not just 'let's see what there is'. We have the butterfly farm and the zoo.

Room service is great. After bt, we'd order room service and hang out on the balcony listening to music and talking or reading.

Dh and I switch off in MDR and ALWAYS get early/main seating. He takes her after dinner, I enjoy dessert or 3 and coffee and chill. I took her a few times during the first course as I didn't order anything. We'd just walk or go take pictures.

We didn't use the bathtub, as dd showers with me (only way I get a shower, so might as well shower her too!)

I brought my 2 and 4 year old on the NCL Dawn last year and are going on the Gem in December. My sister travelled with us last year with her 18 month old. We each booked the 2 bedroom suite (SC on Dawn) and it was awesome. NCL has a designated under 3 playroom where you can go at almost any time to play and they have organized under 3 activities everyday too. We loved the suite because dining in the MDRs or specialty restaurants took to long for the kids so we just ordered in. The kids could eat early and you can have a nice dinner delivered after they are asleep. The 2nd bedroom is perfect for this. The 2 bedroom also sleeps 5 comfortably so we bring a sitter for the kids too.