Place to stay in the Keys???

curlymason

Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in the Keys? We'll be spending 2 nights in the Keys pre-cruise, and want to find somewhere affordable yet nice to stay. One possibility that we are looking at is the Lime Tree Resort. Has anyone ever stayed there before?? It looks nice on the net, but you know how that goes :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the help!

Heather:D

Heather,

We were there in May and stayed at a place called Simonton Court. It was wonderful. The hotel/b&b has several cottages and rooms to choose from and is in a great location. We parked our car on the first day and walked evrywhere from there. It is only about a block away from Duval street. Hope you have a great time in the Keys! I enjoyed it and can't wait to go back. (I think the website for simonton court is simontoncourt.com).

One of the important factors about lodging in Key West is being able to secure a room, period. It is quite hard if your trip should coincide with one of the big festivals such as Hemingway Days or Fantasy Fest. You may not be able to get the hotel or B&B you want on weekends or festival times.

Expedia.com has guest commentaries about many of the top hotels and guest houses in the city. As I recall, Key Lime House has received pretty good comments from guests. Another one that always looks pretty good from the outside and gets pretty good guest comments is The Banyan. It is close to down town (Old Town) too in a very pretty setting.

Curly

There are a bunch of places to stay here...can you narrow down your desires a little? Budget? Big Place, more intimate, unscale or more down home? Give me some more info and I will be glad to make recommendations.

Clay - a key west local

Thanks to all of the comments everyone!

Clay - thanks for the offer. We're really not picky as long as the place is clean. I would prefer to stay under $100 a night per couple. Beach front would be great, but not essential. I do prefer smaller, more intimate settings to large resorts (mainly because I like supporting locally owned businesses as opposed to large chains), but basically we'll stay where ever we get the best price! It will only be two nights, so we aren't too choosey...we're planning to spend all day at Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson the day before our cruise leaves, so we won't be in the hotel anyway. Just need a place to lay our heads!

Thanks,

Heather

I would prefer to stay under $100 a night per couple. Beach front would be great, but not essential.

Huh??? Have you looked at prices in Key West? If you're going in high season, you probably need to double your preferred price. If it's during hurricane season, you MIGHT get close.

Kal is right...when are you looking to be here?

The Days Inn's best rate is usually 89bucks..thats off season during the week. During seaon during the weekend its closer to 200 and thats for a pretty crappy room, location, etc.

Give us an idea of when you are thinking of being here.

C

As another option, think about Priceline.com. Two years ago I bid on a 3.5 Star room for Easter weekend for a friend. My bid of $85 was accepted and it was at the Hilton Marina Resort. Incredible price especially during High Season!! There are other sites that tell you what resorts are included in the various Star categories so it's not as if it's a crap shoot.

try key colony beach motel. it's not expensive and right on the beach. it's close to marathon key. it may be called key colony beach resort. it's a white 3 story bldg. with a pool on the beach......

It's only about 50 miles from Key West. A little over a one hour drive in good traffic conditions.

We stayed there on the way to Key West last November. It is a nice little place. People are very friendly, it was clean, right on the water with a little beach area. There was a nice place to eat next to it. It is in Long Key. I would stay there again.

Mid-September.....the lowest of low season. There won't be many tourists in town so you can probably get some cheap rates. HOT & STEAMY so make sure you get air conditioning.

and since its also the height of the hurricane season....be mentally prepared to deal with changes in plans...the good news is that not only are the hotel rates cheaper but most resturants have great specials..typically a fixed price menu that includes appetizer, entree and dessert for what just the entree costs in season.

Given the time of year you are goiing to be here, I would add the following to those that others have recommended....not sure if you will get a room for under a hundred, but it wll be close...just don't forget that no matter what you reserve, that 11% tax will be added to it.

Guesthouses:

The Alligator and the Mermaid

Red Rooster

The Grand

Small Inns:

The Almond Tree Inn

Paradise Inn - will likely be too expensive

Clay

Archived