Formal nights on Christmas Cruises

GACRUISER456

We are sailing on our first HAL cruise over Christmas to the Caribbean. I am wondering what the majority tend to wear on formal nights on Christmas cruises. I have been on other lines where the holiday weeks seem more relaxed than usual, but wondered if HAL was different. Will most men be in at least jackets or tuxes or will a dress shirt and tie be ok for men?

I'm bringing at least one tux, and suits. I don't like going to restaurants without a jacket at home, so it's tuxedo for formal nights for me, and suits or at least jackets on the casual nights.

One can never feel uncomfortable being overdressed, but always if underdressed.

Cheers!

We were on the Zuiderdam last Christmas (and will be again this year). My husband wore a suit and I wore dressy pants and a glitzy top and we fit in just fine. I don't think you'd feel very comfortable without a jacket. There will probably be three days you want to dress "formal": formal night (probably Dec. 21), Christmas Eve (formal night), and Christmas Day (will be announced as optional formal night). Have a wonderful time!

Good to know I should plan on an extra formal night! Thanks for the information. As we are actually driving to the port this time and don't have to worry about checking bags at the airlines, it looks like we will bring the tux and dresses! Looking forward to all the Christmas activities on board.

Sailing on the Amsterdam for Christmas and as a 15 day cruise, I know we can expect at least 4 formal nights. Should I expect another one for Christmas eve/day?

I believe the Christmas Eve dinner is called "formal optional" but my recollection was it was really the night to sparkle and the young people on board were especially done up in the cutest dress-up outfits, which made the whole dinner even more special and electric with Christmas Eve anticipation. After all, the captain was going to track Santa on the ship's radar so every one knew they had to be nice and not naughty that evening.:cool:

Since we get to drive to our departure port I get to put in the sparkly sequin top - my holiday coat of many colors -- that no longer gets to come along on other cruises because it is just too darn heavy under the new baggage limits.