Very short Radiance cruise!

Gnomey

Hello fellow cruisers,

As I sit and read I've just watched Radiance of the Seas make a very short cruise. From Sydney it has backed out into the harbour around 3-400 metres and come back in to the dock! This is at the start of her 600th cruise too. The family & I were just watching on a live web cam since we disembarked this morning after a lovely trip to Queensland, so imagine our surprise to see her back out, then come back in! I only hope it is not another medical emergency like at the start of our cruise.

Gnomey.

Hello fellow cruisers,

As I sit and read I've just watched Radiance of the Seas make a very short cruise. From Sydney it has backed out into the harbour around 3-400 metres and come back in to the dock! This is at the start of her 600th cruise too. The family & I were just watching on a live web cam since we disembarked this morning after a lovely trip to Queensland, so imagine our surprise to see her back out, then come back in! I only hope it is not another medical emergency like at the start of our cruise.

Gnomey.

How was the cruise and how is the ship? We are looking forward to being on her in 41 days!

Edited by susie2shoes

Hello Susie2shoes,

It was our first Royal after two Princesses. Radiance is a beautiful ship, the crew are super and the whole ship rocks, as in rock & roll! Ours was a short sampler of 5 days Sydney to Brisbane, there were plenty of first timers and boy did they party! We found Bernadette in Schooner Bar very attentive and friendly, ask her if she remembers Connie! With your experience you should already know that the balcony cabins are a good size, it was our first Balcony and we loved it. The ports, Newcastle was great. It is a pretty city to visit now. The local shuttle was expertly run with friendly and helpful ambassadors. Watch for the cannon firing at Fort Scratchley. Brisbane is a lovely city but the big ships dock way out near the river mouth and it is a pricey and long bus trip to town. The terminal is as ordinary as Sydney's "International Tent" was too! We can't wait to "do" Alaska as our next big trip, hope you have good weather. Enjoy your upcoming cruises on Radiance, oh and if he is still cooking, cheer on the break dancing Chef!

Gnomey.

Hello Susie2shoes,

It was our first Royal after two Princesses. Radiance is a beautiful ship, the crew are super and the whole ship rocks, as in rock & roll! Ours was a short sampler of 5 days Sydney to Brisbane, there were plenty of first timers and boy did they party! We found Bernadette in Schooner Bar very attentive and friendly, ask her if she remembers Connie! With your experience you should already know that the balcony cabins are a good size, it was our first Balcony and we loved it. The ports, Newcastle was great. It is a pretty city to visit now. The local shuttle was expertly run with friendly and helpful ambassadors. Watch for the cannon firing at Fort Scratchley. Brisbane is a lovely city but the big ships dock way out near the river mouth and it is a pricey and long bus trip to town. The terminal is as ordinary as Sydney's "International Tent" was too! We can't wait to "do" Alaska as our next big trip, hope you have good weather. Enjoy your upcoming cruises on Radiance, oh and if he is still cooking, cheer on the break dancing Chef!

Gnomey.

Thanks so much for your quick response! We will look out for Bernadette and say hi for you.

Yes I was looking at Newcastle today and it seems like a lovely city. We plan on doing a walking tour if it is not too hot but I am sure we could find a few places to have a drink to cool us down! Does the shuttle in Newcastle take you from the ship into town. Any cost involved? How far is it into town?

I did read about where Radiance will be docked in Brisbane. I guess we will take the ship's shuttle into the city. We know lovely Irish pub that does a great steak pie that my husband loves, and a good drop of ale.

Glad you had a terrific cruise! We are looking forward to our Alaskan cruise on Radiance in August next year. We have planned a pre cruise tour to Denali and then a self drive tour in the Rockies. Then we take Millennium across to Asia, visiting Japan, Korea and China. It will be a big trip!!

Hello Susie2shoes,

We found Bernadette in Schooner Bar very attentive and friendly, ask her if she remembers Connie! With your experience you should already know that the balcony cabins are a good size, it was our first Balcony and we loved it.

Gnomey.

We were served by Bernadette on our Radiance Hawaii-Syd cruise last year. Though she working in the Atrium then.

Yes I was looking at Newcastle today and it seems like a lovely city. We plan on doing a walking tour if it is not too hot but I am sure we could find a few places to have a drink to cool us down! Does the shuttle in Newcastle take you from the ship into town. Any cost involved? How far is it into town?

Hi Susie, the shuttle in Newcastle is both compulsory and free. It is classed as a working port so thats the compulsory bit, it is about a 10 minute run and drops you in the waterfront area that has bars & cafes and is very pleasant. There is a bridge that takes you over the railway & road to the infamous Hunter Street for more cafes & shops. We strolled up Hunter Street, through the park to the beach, then across to Fort Scratchley for the 1pm gun firing then back down through the streets to waterfront park and the bus back to Radiance. These days Newcastle reminds me a little of Freemantle. A hard working area that has been washed & polished into a very pretty place to visit. I hope the weather is kind to you.

Steve.

Hi Susie, the shuttle in Newcastle is both compulsory and free. It is classed as a working port so thats the compulsory bit, it is about a 10 minute run and drops you in the waterfront area that has bars & cafes and is very pleasant. There is a bridge that takes you over the railway & road to the infamous Hunter Street for more cafes & shops. We strolled up Hunter Street, through the park to the beach, then across to Fort Scratchley for the 1pm gun firing then back down through the streets to waterfront park and the bus back to Radiance. These days Newcastle reminds me a little of Freemantle. A hard working area that has been washed & polished into a very pretty place to visit. I hope the weather is kind to you.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the info about Newcastle. When I was looking at the walking tour I thought it had a similar feel to it like Fremantle. I like free shuttles, that doesn't happen very often! We are looking forward to our day there. I hope the weather is kind to us too!

I know your cruise was short but did you try any speciality restaurants?

I know your cruise was short but did you try any speciality restaurants?

Sorry Susie we didn't. I didn't even try the Mexican which I wanted to do. I have heard that Chops is good though. We did have hot chocolate & cookies room service and that was good. Odd though, we had to make the drinks ourselves with the hot water & ingredients supplied. The chock chip cookies were lovely!

Steve.