Picking up friends at the Port

lindy sails

I'm picking up friends at Port Everglades following their cruise. Can I enter the port from 17th St? Will I need to bring ID like my passport? Have not done this before,

You will need a picture ID. You can enter from 17th St. Here's a map:

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/Port-Map-2009.pdf

You can enter from 17 St or either of the other entrances to the port. Just show ID to security (DL is fine) and tell them which ship, they will direct you to the correct pier. Best to have your friends wait for you near the taxi/limo pickup area which will either be on a traffic island across from the baggage claim exit or just around the corner from their particular pier. Only cruiseline or port shuttles are allowed to stop at the curb in front of each terminal; if you pause there even briefly you will endure the loud wrath of port security.

Edited by fishywood

I was picked up curbside Thursday and no one was yelling at anyone.

When I disembarked Maasdam at Pier 25 in October I was walking to the area where the taxis queue up when I saw a car pull up to the curb right in front of the exit. Within seconds two security guards ran up to the car and were going completely apespit ordering the driver to move. Though it could easily have been a driver from a car service with a history of confrontations with security...??

And just a reminder to the OP: if looking for the quickest exit DO NOT follow a taxi if you don't want to be driving in circles a few times around the port. Unless like a taxi you are also charging your friends by the mile to pick them up :rolleyes:

Right. You can't just pull up to the curb and wait for your friends to come out. There is a cell phone waiting lot or you can wait in a parking lot on 17th St for your friends to call. Tell them not to call you until they are outside at the curb.