Parent and child with different last names

I need some advice on what documents are needed for a parent and child who have differnt last names. I am happily married to my kids father for almost 20 years so no possible custody issues. I kept my maiden name for work purposes and it seemed like a good idea until now. My concern is of course getting on the ship but what about if there was an incident in one of the ports? My kids are 12 and 14 and we all have passports. We will be on the Explorer of the seas 9 night cruise. Thank you in advance for any advice!

I need some advice on what documents are needed for a parent and child who have differnt last names. I am happily married to my kids father for almost 20 years so no possible custody issues. I kept my maiden name for work purposes and it seemed like a good idea until now. My concern is of course getting on the ship but what about if there was an incident in one of the ports? My kids are 12 and 14 and we all have passports. We will be on the Explorer of the seas 9 night cruise. Thank you in advance for any advice!

You can bring a certified birth certificate as a linking document since it will show the parents names but if both parents are cruising, you shouldn't have an issue.

Edit to add link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5

Click where it says family legal documents, it addresses your exact issue.

Edited by reallyitsmema

I assume that the kids have your husband's surname. Will your husband be on the cruise with you?

If your husband is NOT cruising with you, I'd get a notorized letter authorizing you to take the kids out of the country. You will rarely be asked for this letter, BUT it might happen and the kids would not be allowed to embark. [Actually this applies even if you have the same surname, but only one parent is present.] There are lots of people who will say don't bother with the letter as they were never asked for it, BUT you may be asked and then you'll be standing on the pier watching the ship sail away.

enjoy

Thom

My husband will not be with us . Poor guy gets seasick. Just a letter from him is acceptable ?(notorized of course). Would the letter and birth certificate be good enough for hospital treatment in one of the ports?(would rather know beforehand) Thank you for the quick responses !

This is from Royal Caribbean's website regarding family legal documents.

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation. Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa or the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

My husband will not be with us . Poor guy gets seasick. Just a letter from him is acceptable ?(notorized of course). Would the letter and birth certificate be good enough for hospital treatment in one of the ports?(would rather know beforehand) Thank you for the quick responses !

Since you are the parent and you will have their birth certificates to prove that, you will be able to make emergency decisions for them.

To be safe, you might want to consider packing a second notarized/certified copy of the birth certificate, and getting a notarized letter authorizing the travel and medical decisions to carry in port. Notarized stuff can be done at any bank and most local gov't clerk buildings, and is some cheap peace of mind in the event something unexpected happens.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and have a great trip!

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a quick additional question to the OP's post:

We will be taking my two kids (age 7 and 11) on their first cruise next August. I was going to get my ex-wife (my kid's mother) to sign a notarized letter that she is ok with me taking the kids out of the country. I haven't decided if I want to get them passports or just take birth certs.

Is that all I will need since they have my last name and I am their father?

Edited by shaggyofwv

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a quick additional question to the OP's post:

We will be taking my two kids (age 7 and 11) on their first cruise next August. I was going to get my ex-wife (my kid's mother) to sign a notarized letter that she is ok with me taking the kids out of the country. I haven't decided if I want to get them passports or just take birth certs.

Is that all I will need since they have my last name and I am their father?

Get your ex wife to sign a letter stating that she authorizes you to take the children (list names and ages) on a cruise (give information) on specific dates (provide them). If you are flying, include that information as well. Include that she authorizes you to make medical decisions (if you are not the one that has primary custody) and take a copy of their medical insurance card with you as well. Have her sign and have it notarized.

That, along with their BCs should be fine. I have custody of my kids, my last name is different (changed it back) and I got my ex to sign the letter. They never asked but I had it. As for medical, I carry the insurance so I'm always the one to make decisions so that wasn't an issue.

You never know when you'll be asked and if you can't provide it, they can deny boarding.

Get your ex wife to sign a letter stating that she authorizes you to take the children (list names and ages) on a cruise (give information) on specific dates (provide them). If you are flying, include that information as well. Include that she authorizes you to make medical decisions (if you are not the one that has primary custody) and take a copy of their medical insurance card with you as well. Have her sign and have it notarized.

That, along with their BCs should be fine. I have custody of my kids, my last name is different (changed it back) and I got my ex to sign the letter. They never asked but I had it. As for medical, I carry the insurance so I'm always the one to make decisions so that wasn't an issue.

You never know when you'll be asked and if you can't provide it, they can deny boarding.

Great! Thanks for the info.

We are in a similar situation in that my wife had her boys with her ex-husband, so they have his last name, then their mom took my last name when we got married. So their last name is completely different than ours! As we travel with the boys a lot, we ended up getting them passports. The ex (biological dad) had to do some paperwork before they were issued, but it really was not very difficult or expensive.

And SO much easier to travel now! The boys also now have a picture ID that can be helpful at times (not that they carry them around with them, but we can pull them out when needed).

We've also done the passport/notarized letter route, which has worked fine, but the passports are just easier. So that's my recommendation if you are going to be doing more traveling.

We are in a similar situation in that my wife had her boys with her ex-husband, so they have his last name, then their mom took my last name when we got married. So their last name is completely different than ours! As we travel with the boys a lot, we ended up getting them passports. The ex (biological dad) had to do some paperwork before they were issued, but it really was not very difficult or expensive.

And SO much easier to travel now! The boys also now have a picture ID that can be helpful at times (not that they carry them around with them, but we can pull them out when needed).

We've also done the passport/notarized letter route, which has worked fine, but the passports are just easier. So that's my recommendation if you are going to be doing more traveling.

Sorry, AFTER I posted, I read the OP again. And realized I answered the wrong question (and you already have passports)! My apologizes.

I also have a different last name than my children. My husband (their step father) and I have cruised with them several times. They do not have passports, just birth certificates. I have always gotten the motorized letter from their biological father, which is not exactly convenient. I have never been asked for the letter nor has anyone even flinched that we have different names. I still take it every time because I would hate to think what would happen if they asked and we didn't have it, but I think these family/name situations are fairly common and they see it every day so don't stress.

For those of you in these situations frequently, my step-daughter had her lawyer draw up a legal document stating that she could take their daughter out of the country at any time(her current husband travels out of country for work a lot). She had the ex-husband sign and notarize the document and never needed another one, or to bother him about it again.