Snorkeling in Barbados?

shipfriend_max

If you take one of the catamaran coastal tours

I'm sure they do snorkelling when they stop for lunch..

Cat279.jpg

..but to be perfectly honest with you

our immediate-offshore fringing reefs are not in great shape

(except for the spots previously indicated and maybe some more remote and inaccessible spots)

so Snorkelling Tours, per se. are not to be had as a snorkelling tour and nothing-but.

Snorkellers-1291.jpg

Other islands with less human population will not have suffered the same environmental degradation

but don't let that stop you from trying those areas North of Holetown I spoke of, earlier! ;)

Hi,

In April 2014 we are doing a caribbean cruise with Barbados.

Do you have specific recommendations to snorkel there?

I agree with the above about near Holetown. Specificly we have snorkeled at Folkestone. My son and I saw a huge scool of blue tangs there, I have heard there is construction there, but maybe that is over now?

...Are there any local tour operators who offer snorekling tours?

I think we will not book a Celebrity tour...

We've done one of the catamaran tours that stops for swimming with the Turtles and then snorkeling over a reef every year for the past 8 years. It is overall one of our favorite excursions in the Caribbean. There are a few catamaran operators that make this into a really nice day sail with lunch and who limit the number of people on board to a small group. We've sailed with Silver Moon in the past and are trying Calabaza this year. You can find nice reviews of these Catamaran operators here and on trip advisor.

Celebrity offers a nice tour or two but they tend to be fairly crowded on board and don't have quite the nice relaxing day that the nicer private operators have.

As far as snorkeling: The conditions vary considerably. We've usually had OK but not great, conditions as far as water clarity for snorkeling. Only once have the waters been what I'd consider really clear and a couple times it has been pretty cloudy. All of this was off the west coast beaches going up the coast north of Bridgetown.

if you go to my photo site (link in my signature) I have photos from these excursions on nearly every Caribbean cruise listed there and most of them have underwater photos of the snorkeling.

Edited by Lsimon

• 2 weeks later...

For a less expensive option than the all day catamaran sails, you can go the the boatyard on Carsile beach for $12, which included a chair, umbrella, drink, and taxi ride back. Then for $15pp (they start at $20, but took $15) you can have a local take you out to snorkel with the sea turtles and over shipwrecks. I loved snorkeling over the shipwrecks! They would be close enough for me to swim from shore (decent swimmer), but I'm not sure how you would find them. It's a sandy bottom, so while the sunken ships are filled with life, the fish are sparse between them.

While you can snorkel in Barbados, it's not bad but not great. Doing something like a seeing the turtles on a catamaran is good for a "snorkel tour".

We love going to beaches and out on catamarans there ... just saying snorkeling is better elsewhere.

Barbados is one of our favorites. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Ive been to Barbados numerous times but this time was the first to snorkel. We initially chose Gina with Calabazza for a catamaran snorkel but she was full. She was kind enough to suggest a few of her friends....we chose Bolodor. Our day was amazing, the cat is huge and only takes 14 people, we left the ship with a Bolodor driver right to the beach. The staff were super helpful, we were oriented to some safety tips and on our way. Geoff is the owner and onboard, he is also in the water the entire time when we snorkel guiding anyone who wants assistance. We put the sails up and up the coast we went. The area we snorkeled in was amazing. Now the turtles.....I say turtle because there was one but the rest made up for that. There were several areas and I think we were in the water for over an hr or maybe more. Huge schools of fish all over. Of all the snorkeling I have done this is by far the best to date. You never know what weather you will get and what sea life will be hanging out but for us it was a beautiful sunny day with pretty calm waters and plenty to look at. Lunch was great, drinks were good and the ride back beautiful with the winds sailing us along. 5 stars to Bolodor!

Took the Silver Moon Twice, 3 years ago and again last winter, when on two different cruise lines.

Easy to find on the Internet.

They take out only small groups. wonderful crew, great service. Food is wonderful. Saw and touched many sea turtles. They accommodate people of all ages and ability.

Definitely the best tour I have taken after taking 25+ cruises!

Worth every penny!

• 2 weeks later...
Ive been to Barbados numerous times but this time was the first to snorkel. We initially chose Gina with Calabazza for a catamaran snorkel but she was full. She was kind enough to suggest a few of her friends....we chose Bolodor. 5 stars to Bolodor!

How can you contact Geoff? A Google search reveals nothing, and I can't find any info. Help!