shhhhh coming soon

Host Star

great news for the roll call boards!!

there will soon be dedicated web pages for each roll call where you can keep track of planned activities, shore excursions, etc etc... coming soon to Cruise Critic :) as soon as I receive more news I will pass it on... that's all the info I have now... from looking thru the peekhole at the construction site :)

Edited by Host Star

Not all of us belong to FB...some of us highly guard our right not to FB, so we appreciate any CC improvement to roll calls! Yay!

Right On ... FB is the work of satan .:D

Also a reformed FB'er ..

HooRay to the new upgrades ..

• Administrators

Here's some interesting FB info:

- FB is aging :) 68% of FB users are over the age of 50.

- Cruise Critic does have a presence on FB; we have pages for our site, our UK site and an AU FB page as well.

- The reason we don't like FB for Roll Calls is really simple: FB is not an anonymous community. People use real names etc and we don't think anyone should be joining groups (even private ones) that shout when you'll be away on vacation. That's how WE feel. Of course, anyone is free to do as they please; they just cannot promote those groups here. We think that is fair.

Laura

simple... we will be providing something right here on CC for the conveinence of our members....we have had instances on the roll calls where members were using FB to organize on board activities, shore excursions, etc. and some members did not want to use FB which caused a split and rifts and a lot of unhealthy atmosphere on the roll call boards...... hopefully this will alleviate that... reading the roll call boards the reason fb was being used for organizing on board activities was because we did not offer a place to accommodate it... personally as a board moderator I received many emails from members asking why they couldn't do it on CC....

Edited by Host Star

- Cruise Critic does have a presence on FB; we have pages for our site, our UK site and an AU FB page as well.

- The reason we don't like FB for Roll Calls is really simple: FB is not an anonymous community. People use real names etc and we don't think anyone should be joining groups (even private ones) that shout when you'll be away on vacation. That's how WE feel. Of course, anyone is free to do as they please; they just cannot promote those groups here. We think that is fair.

Laura

Like the idea of change/improvements to the roll calls!

Interesting that 68% of FB users are over the age of 50. Any info on the average age of CC members?

Laura

Pressing the LIKE button!:)

Why would this be any different from allowing Facebook "roll call" pages? :confused:

it will be different in the effect that we will have web pages for you to use.. the situation was that some folks were going over to fb and others didn't want to use fb and it was creating a split... that will no longer be necessary to divide up the roll call...the purpose of the roll call boards is to meet others on the same cruise, maybe share shore excursions, plan some onboard activities , make new friends, etc... some of you may recall what started out as a happy group ended up being a divided group.... and after having several requests for this,,the suits listened and have worked diligently on developing the web pages... we will still be active on fb and welcome our members who like to visit us on fb but you will be able to do all of your tour planning, slot pulls, fun stuff,, all on CC without ever leaving 'home' I will be glad to answer any questions and if I don't know the answers I will get them from those that do

Edited by Host Star

Interesting that 68% of FB users are over the age of 50. Any info on the average age of CC members?

no but I will find out.. I'm sure Laura will be checking this thread .... if she doesn't answer the age question I will send her an email or IM and ask her... hmmm let me see if sh'e on line now... nope, can't find. her.. she might be avoiding me.lol. I'm not sure I was supposed to leak the news but I'm looking forward to this new project as I have a couple of cruises booked and am active on some roll calls

Laura

This is exactly why I left FB early in the build up - I realized not only that I was telling people where I was going, but when I would be gone from home:eek: I know that there are "filters" etc, but it got to be very annoying and how do you tell a neighbor that you don't want an email every day from them telling you to "be careful out there?" It was too consuming.

I did briefly create a new FB account to save $500 on a car by "liking" the dealer. I gave it a month and canceled it again;)

Thank you CC for outlawing the FB connection - I think it is more excluding than including.

• Administrators

no but I will find out.. I'm sure Laura will be checking this thread .... if she doesn't answer the age question I will send her an email or IM and ask her... hmmm let me see if sh'e on line now... nope, can't find. her.. she might be avoiding me.lol. I'm not sure I was supposed to leak the news but I'm looking forward to this new project as I have a couple of cruises booked and am active on some roll calls

Avoid you, Star? No way! lol

The honest answer is we haven't done an official survey of our membership for age in a long time.

But I can tell you from info the age range is from teenagers (over 13 of course) all the way up to early 90's! I received an email a few weeks ago from an elderly gentleman aged 93 -- it was SO lovely -- thanking me for all the years of enjoyment he had cruising and on Cruise Critic, but sharing that he was going into a nursing facility and wouldn't be cruising any longer. Touched my heart greatly!

Laura

... I received an email a few weeks ago from an elderly gentleman aged 93 -- it was SO lovely -- thanking me for all the years of enjoyment he had cruising and on Cruise Critic, but sharing that he was going into a nursing facility and wouldn't be cruising any longer. Touched my heart greatly!

Laura

That is deeply touching, and so heartbreaking at the same time.