Staying at the Sheraton and walking to the pier

NCTribeFan

Just some info for those of you who may stay at the Sheraton OSJ pre or post-cruise. I stayed there two nights, 11/14 and 11/15 before my 11/16 sailing on Carnival Conquest.

The morning of 11/16, MSC Divinia was docked right across from the hotel. The street was packed with taxis and tour buses.

11101753683_43824d6856.jpg

This was taken the day before, from the rooftop pool, looking down toward the pier. It's an easy walk, even when you're solo and dragging two suitcases and carrying a heavy carry-on and large purse! It was warm, though! Note that there is virtually nowhere to sit and no shade, so there's no point in heading down there super early.

11101749653_8d5b87859c.jpg

And this is from in front of the pier, looking back toward the hotel (yellow building with red letters on top).

There are a series of park style benches all along the seawall. They are visible in yournice photo.

You could sit and rest there, couldn't you? :confused: My memory is you also could sit or at least lean

and rest against the seawall for a rest.

Edited by sail7seas

Just wanted to note to others that only CCL ships, or ships making port day stops rather than turnaround stops, use the OSJ piers.

RCCL brands use the Pan Am pier, which is NOT within walking distance. In fact, if you look very closely at the top photo, you can see a ship docked on the other side and very far down.

Here's a map:

sanjuanportmap.jpg

Yes, there are benches. I sat there at various times.

I was referring to the fact that if you drag your bags down to the pier super early, you may be able to check your bags, but you'll have to stand in line before they begin the actual check-in procedure. Then you'll be standing out in the sun. And if you're like me, that carry-on will be heavy thanks to my allowed bottle of wine. ;)

And, yes, I certainly hope that people sailing RCI and Celebrity realize that they dock at the Pan Am pier and not at Pier 4. I meant to include Carnival in the thread title.

11101607786_41999c11f1_z.jpg

In this photo, on the left over Conquest's bow, you can see Summit (I think) docked over at Pan Am.

Edited by NCTribeFan

• 6 months later...
Just some info for those of you who may stay at the Sheraton OSJ pre or post-cruise. I stayed there two nights, 11/14 and 11/15 before my 11/16 sailing on Carnival Conquest.

The morning of 11/16, MSC Divinia was docked right across from the hotel. The street was packed with taxis and tour buses.

11101753683_43824d6856.jpg

This was taken the day before, from the rooftop pool, looking down toward the pier. It's an easy walk, even when you're solo and dragging two suitcases and carrying a heavy carry-on and large purse! It was warm, though! Note that there is virtually nowhere to sit and no shade, so there's no point in heading down there super early.

11101749653_8d5b87859c.jpg

And this is from in front of the pier, looking back toward the hotel (yellow building with red letters on top).

Thank-you for the pictures...we are staying at the Sheraton...so these are so helpful :D

Just booked a cruise out of San Juan for March of 2015.

We have cruised out of San Juan three times, but the last time was in 2010.

I looking at a map of hotels in the area, I see the Sheraton Convention Center, I think I remember that being built the last time we were there.

Does anyone know if that Sheraton is within walking distance of the Pan Am Pier?

Also what else is around that Sheraton???

Just booked a cruise out of San Juan for March of 2015.

We have cruised out of San Juan three times, but the last time was in 2010.

I looking at a map of hotels in the area, I see the Sheraton Convention Center, I think I remember that being built the last time we were there.

Does anyone know if that Sheraton is within walking distance of the Pan Am Pier?

Also what else is around that Sheraton???

We could see the Sheraton Convention Center from our balcony. It is not that far but there is not a straight route to get there, plus there are no sidewalks. We were watching to see if anybody walked to the port but did not see anyone.

We also passed the Convention Center on a city bus, I remember thinking it was pretty isolated and that I was glad not to be staying there. We chose the Hilton Condado Plaza, also not far from the port, but at the ocean and within walking distance of all the bars and restaurants of the Condado.

I would highly recommend it for a pre/post cruise stay.

• 5 weeks later...

I arrived at around midnight last time so the ride to the hotel was quite quick. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Yes, the Carnival pier has a VIP lounge.

But here's what happened in November. You realize boarding in San Juan has a nice, big window in which to do so, since sailing is so late.

Silly Carnival sent out emails telling people to start arriving EARLY for boarding. So, not only were the Platinum people and FTTF people there even before they'd emptied the ship, but other people were arriving, too.

It was utter chaos. Dropped off bags, went upstairs, and the VIP lounge was already overflowing. They were using the VIP lounge as a regular check-in desk (although the others weren't supposed to use the seating area when finished), and VIP were asked to just get in the regular line. Well, I didn't much like that idea, so the handsome young check-in agent I talked to ;) moved me up and checked me in. THEN we were told boarding wouldn't begin until 2 pm.

Sigh. Here I was, solo, with my carry-on bags (in which was a bottle of wine) and I couldn't board and drop them off then head out for more sightseeing for another 2-1/2 hours! Are you kidding me!?! :mad:

We did actually begin boarding at 12:30. Thank goodness!

Now, we were on a non-regular sailing (2nd leg of Conquest repo), and I'm also on a similar cruise this coming November. I really hope they don't recommend that people arrive early. They should be trying to spread the arrivals out over that 8-hr check-in window rather than encourage them all to arrive at the same time!

I arrived at around midnight last time so the ride to the hotel was quite quick. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Yes, the Carnival pier has a VIP lounge.

But here's what happened in November. You realize boarding in San Juan has a nice, big window in which to do so, since sailing is so late.

Silly Carnival sent out emails telling people to start arriving EARLY for boarding. So, not only were the Platinum people and FTTF people there even before they'd emptied the ship, but other people were arriving, too.

It was utter chaos. Dropped off bags, went upstairs, and the VIP lounge was already overflowing. They were using the VIP lounge as a regular check-in desk (although the others weren't supposed to use the seating area when finished), and VIP were asked to just get in the regular line. Well, I didn't much like that idea, so the handsome young check-in agent I talked to ;) moved me up and checked me in. THEN we were told boarding wouldn't begin until 2 pm.

Sigh. Here I was, solo, with my carry-on bags (in which was a bottle of wine) and I couldn't board and drop them off then head out for more sightseeing for another 2-1/2 hours! Are you kidding me!?! :mad:

We did actually begin boarding at 12:30. Thank goodness!

Now, we were on a non-regular sailing (2nd leg of Conquest repo), and I'm also on a similar cruise this coming November. I really hope they don't recommend that people arrive early. They should be trying to spread the arrivals out over that 8-hr check-in window rather than encourage them all to arrive at the same time!

I hope its not like that for the Splendor repo but no matter what time they tell me to get there, I'm checking out of the Sheraton at 11am and headed over. I want on that ship as soon as they open the doors.

• 5 months later...
We could see the Sheraton Convention Center from our balcony. It is not that far but there is not a straight route to get there, plus there are no sidewalks. We were watching to see if anybody walked to the port but did not see anyone.

We also passed the Convention Center on a city bus, I remember thinking it was pretty isolated and that I was glad not to be staying there. We chose the Hilton Condado Plaza, also not far from the port, but at the ocean and within walking distance of all the bars and restaurants of the Condado.

I would highly recommend it for a pre/post cruise stay.

I would not recommend walking to Pan Am pier from anywhere. It is very industrial and no side walks. Take a cab.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just bumping this up to the top to get some new input?

Has anyone recently stayed at the Sheraton Convention Center and walked to the Pan Am pier??

Sidewalks the whole way? Good area?

Google shows it as a 17 min walk

Thanks for the info. This is good to know. We'll be sailing on RC in July and I strongly considering staying at Sheraton OSJ since it was right across from the pier. Even though we've been to many ports that have multiple piers, I didn't even think that there were multiple piers in San Juan. Knowing that Sheraton OSJ isn't within walking distance of RC's pier, I'm more open to other hotels. Which hotels are close to the RC pier?

Thanks!!

Edited by cruisePAC

Thanks for the info. This is good to know. We'll be sailing on RC in July and I strongly considering staying at Sheraton OSJ since it was right across from the pier. Even though we've been to many ports that have multiple piers, I didn't even think that there were multiple piers in San Juan. Knowing that Sheraton OSJ isn't within walking distance of RC's pier, I'm more open to other hotels. Which hotels are close to the RC pier?

Thanks!!

Sheraton Convention Center is the closest to the Pan Am Pier that RC uses.

But it was just being built the last time we were there. Trying to find out if within walking distance.

Sheraton Convention Center is the closest to the Pan Am Pier that RC uses.

But it was just being built the last time we were there. Trying to find out if within walking distance.

You could walk, but it is not close. At least a half mile. Also, it is an industrial area. Not sure if there are sidewalks or not. I remember the road being bumpy with huge pot holes. I, personally, would not walk. I like to save a buck or too, but it seems to be too much trouble and or not safe enough for me. There are plenty of cabs. We took a cab from Sheraton Old San Juan to the pier and it was $15. It would be cheaper form the convention center.