Question for Ruth C

tjcletsgo

We were very surprised when we discovered we had the cabin next to the lovely RuthC. As 4* Mariners we were looking for a change from HAL. Our cabin and the ship were very lovely. Actually every cabin we visited was far superior to any we've had on HAL. The beds and linens were better than we've found on HAL. Our cabin steward was from Bali and did an excellent job. As non-smokers being able to enjoy our verandah was wonderful. Not having to deal with photographers was a relief. We always refuse the opportunities on HAL to have our pictures taken. It was very nice not having to do even that.

Our overall impression of Oceania wasn't great though. The food was underwhelming. While the service could be great, it was at times pitiful. We got to the point when being seated in the Grand Dining Room my wife would specify that we didn't want to be seated in a certain waiters station. She also sent back food probably more than she did in all of our cruises on HAL combined. The Waves burger place was great. HAL could learn a thing - or 10, 20, 30 - from there.

The last few days of the cruise my wife felt she was just killing time, waiting to go home. Will we take another cruise on Oceania? Maybe, but that is a BIG maybe. We will not have the high expectations we did when booking this cruise on the Riviera.

There are threads from 'DavidtheWanderer' about this cruise on the Oceania forum. We share many (but not all) of his opinions.

Edited by rogerthornhill

……..

The last few days of the cruise my wife felt she was just killing time, waiting to go home. Will we take another cruise on Oceania? Maybe, but that is a BIG maybe. We will not have the high expectations we did when booking this cruise on the Riviera.

There are threads from 'DavidtheWanderer' about this cruise on the Oceania forum. We share many (but not all) of his opinions.

Thanks for the link to further info about Oceania. We get inundated with glossy Oceania brochures and have been tempted sometimes, so reading the full "DavidtheWander" reports have been helpful to get the full picture …beyond their marketing allure.

Thanks for the link to further info about Oceania. We get inundated with glossy Oceania brochures and have been tempted sometimes, so reading the full "DavidtheWander" reports have been helpful to get the full picture …beyond their marketing allure.

His wife, Wendy The Wanderer also wrote a review.

Wendy the Wanderer sounds very familiar to me. I seem to recall they have a very full travel website. If I am thinking of the same couple, they have done a great deal of worldwide travel and have written lots about it.

Keep in mind, though, that David and Wendy were comparing all their Oceania experiences with Regent, their favorite, which is really "top of the line." I'm waiting with baited breath for Ruth's comments too. Really looking forward to comparing my just taken Prinsendam TA with my booked TA on Oceania in April.

Keep in mind, though, that David and Wendy were comparing all their Oceania experiences with Regent, their favorite, which is really "top of the line." I'm waiting with baited breath for Ruth's comments too. Really looking forward to comparing my just taken Prinsendam TA with my booked TA on Oceania in April.

Yes, they did make it clear in all candor they were comparing this Oceania ship to their prior Regent experiences. Overall impression however was a mixed bag, like all ships appear to be. Even Regent, if this is more of an experience than some people want. :cool:

Yes, they did make it clear in all candor they were comparing this Oceania ship to their prior Regent experiences. Overall impression however was a mixed bag, like all ships appear to be. Even Regent, if this is more of an experience than some people want. :cool:

I totally agree!