Gem Boarding Delay 12/4 Noro?

Brighton Line

Start of boarding announced delay at least 130pm. The ship is being cleaned. Letter handed to all states past 2 cruises had higher then normal gastrointestinal issuses. Letter reinforces proper hygiene and free medical care if you get symptoms as well as offering a full credit if you do not want to sail.

I am still going :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Same thing happened with our sailing. We were given a letter and told the previous sailing had an outbreak. They left all the public restroom doors open.

We were not able to serve ourselves in the buffet for the entire voyage. (Even water, coffee, ect.) lines all over the place.

They even removed the coffe makers from our staterooms. (???) I'm not certain about the suites.

We finally sailed away at approximately 6pm or so.

But I hope you have a great time.

Just returned. Get ready for lines! Grab a few extra salt and pepper packets to pocket at the start because they will be hard to come by later on or you'll wait on them.

Hopefully they'll get the virus under control, it did slightly hamper our experience!

Yes, I have 39 days before I board this ship. I hope they do get some kind of control over this. When they offer full credit was that prior to boarding or you knew about it prior to going to the ship. Once you're there you really don't want to turn around.

We were in the terminal when we received notice of GI illness, stating we could receive a cruise credit. You can monitor the virus outbreak on the Gem via the CDC vessel sanitation report online. It gives virus, percentage reported affected, and steps to stop the spread.

I am a little nervous about sailing on CTN 12/13/2013 after this outbreak. Not sure if it worth the hassle... I wonder if they will cancel the sailing to clean sanitize for a full day.

I hope not! My daughter is looking forward to celebrating her 30th birthday on the Gem.

We were on the November 16th cruise where the Noro started. I have come to the conclusion it takes at least 2 full sailings to get rid of it. The CDC does not list anything but the 11/16 cruise so it is possible that there were not as many outbreaks and they are just being overly cautious.

Edited by mommyto2girls

IF the number of cases on subsequent cruises continues to rise, after the initial reporting threshold is reached, USPH will visit the ship to check the mitigation procedures, and probably ride the ship for a couple of days. Only if USPH decides that the company's mitigation procedures are not working will they tell the company to stop sailing and clean the ship. The company will most likely never cancel a sailing on their own.

Spoke to a few friends who were on this cruise that just got home and they say there was very limited cases onboard. I am assuming that they now have it under control like I said it it usually takes 2 cruises. I think this week will be fine. Just my cruse experience opinion.

I am a little nervous about sailing on CTN 12/13/2013 after this outbreak. Not sure if it worth the hassle... I wonder if they will cancel the sailing to clean sanitize for a full day.

I doubt they will cancel the CTN. CDC was onboard today and they are running tests. They don't even know if it is NORO or not. The ship remains on Code Red as a precaution. Hopefully, this cruise they can lower the code to at least yellow. It seems like the first week people were throwing up and had diarrhea, this past week there were most cases of diarrhea only.

I am hoping all is clean this sailing and no sickness will be onboard.

So far this is what CDC has reported...

Causative agent: unknown

Edited by pixiedustdawn

I am guessing that they will cancel the one day sailing......that would give them the opportunity to fully clean/sanitize....

I am nervous as we sail on the 14th...........

I wonder if they would provide any sort of accommodation for anyone that is doing a B2B from a one day CTN, to the next full cruise in such a case?

Like picking up their hotel tab if they are coming from out-of-town......

Just curious, as it doesn't apply to myself....

My DD is part of the entertainment staff on the Gem, and she said they've been doing a complete scrub down after pax leaves for each port before they're allowed off for the day. They're also not allowed in guest dining venues until it clears up. All that aside, she said the numbers are getting fewer and fewer as far as sick people go, and last cruise the total was less than 30. Considering how many people are onboard, that's a small percentage. Which of course matters little you're one of them.