Bringing Wine On Board

Jozy92

I have read that you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

How do you bring it? I guess it can't go in your luggage - so do you just bring it as a carry-on?

Also, my sister has two connected staterooms booked. One for her and her husband and one for their 3 kids.

Is the room with the 3 kids in it - still able to bring 2 bottles of wine or not because there are no adults in that room?

Thanks for your help

How do you bring it? I guess it can't go in your luggage - so do you just bring it as a carry-on?

Also, my sister has two connected staterooms booked. One for her and her husband and one for their 3 kids.

Is the room with the 3 kids in it - still able to bring 2 bottles of wine or not because there are no adults in that room?

Thanks for your help

you must bring it in a carry-on.....you cannot check it. It is (1) 750ml bottle per person.

I would "assume" your connected room has the name of at least one adult on it. I would not think any minors would fall under the wine allotment.

But others on here may know more about that.....

Thanks for your help

You can bring on the wine in carry-on or checked bags. However, it makes more sense to use a carry-on, as delivery of checked bags could be delayed because of the bottles. Not to mention the possibility of the wine bottles breaking inside luggage.

Only staterooms with drinking age adults are allowed to have wine brought on board.

you must bring it in a carry-on.....you cannot check it. It is (1) 750ml bottle per person.

I would "assume" your connected room has the name of at least one adult on it. I would not think any minors would fall under the wine allotment.

But others on here may know more about that.....

actually it is 2 per stateroom, not one per adult. there is some debate about the official stance on staterooms that have no adults booked in it.

carry on is preferred although a few ports will allow checked.

Thanks for your help

As others have already stated:

(2) 750ml wine bottles per state room

Tips:

Keep your wine in checked bags through to the port. Prior to boarding and/or handing the luggage to port workers, put the wine in your carry on. This isn't mandatory, but, some cruisers have said it reduces the possibility of having to claim your luggage later in the security office. YMMV

If you have multiple rooms purchased, assign an adult to each room and that multiplies your wine allowance by a factor of 2. You can figure out the details regarding keys and sleeping arrangements at your discretion.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Brig

you must bring it in a carry-on.....you cannot check it. It is (1) 750ml bottle per person....

GTO-Girl, sorry but actually both of these statements are incorrect and I hope you come to know this soon so that you comply with the rules (and tell others the same) and do not run into problems when you cruise. :)

As stated it is 2 x 750 ml. bottles per stateroom, not per adult. Also, there is no condition that it has to be in your carry-on, simply that members here have reported this is the best, most efficient way to bring wine onboard so as to not end up in security explaining yourself. :o

Best to you.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

I have always brought it in my carry-on, but I see no written policy anywhere stating either way.

GTO-Girl, sorry but actually both of these statements are incorrect and I hope you come to know this soon so that you comply with the rules (and tell others the same) and do not run into problems when you cruise. :)

As stated it is 2 x 750 ml. bottles per stateroom, not per adult. Also, there is no condition that it has to be in your carry-on, simply that members here have reported this is the best, most efficient way to bring wine onboard so as to not end up in security explaining yourself. :o

Best to you.

My apologies to you.......

I was confusing RCI's policy with Carnival's policy which is now carryon only for any wine brought onboard.

I think your response could have been a bit more tactful. I would never "correct" someone in such a manner.

My apologies to you....... I was confusing RCI's policy with Carnival's policy which is now carryon only for any wine brought onboard.... I think your response could have been a bit more tactful. I would never "correct" someone in such a manner.

You don't have to apologize to me, specifically. I was hoping to help you in explaining the policy to others on this board, in future. I'm sorry if you misread my comments to be anything but helpful and gracious. Sometimes it's difficult to convey the heart using text.

You don't have to apologize to me, specifically. I was hoping to help you in explaining the policy to others on this board, in future. I'm sorry if you misread my comments to be anything but helpful and gracious. Sometimes it's difficult to convey the heart using text.

Apology accepted and let me also send my apology to you for misreading your intent. I agree sometimes the written word can be misunderstood. I am truly sorry I jumped to a conclusion.

I honestly do appreciate you correcting my "boo-boo"...... Sometimes these different cruiseline policies just run together.......:p

Happy Sailing!!!

Thanks for your help

We packed ours in bubble wrap and no problem. As to the kids room if they are underage -21- an adult has to be listed in that room. We took our nephews 14 and 18 at the time, one was listed with me and the other with my husband. We had adjoining cabins and we had the doors between the 2 unlocked by the room steward. We took 4 bottles, 2 in my luggage and 2 in my husbands. I marked each bag with a label stating 2 bottles of wine .

Edited by Alamogirl

I have personally had no problems with my wine in checked baggage, but did have a couple of friends have their wine ($100.00 a bottle, too rich for my blood) taken out of their luggage and it was NOT returned at the end of the cruise this last April!

I would definitely put it in my carry on, at least that way if there is some reason they won't let you take it with you, you can go back to your car and put it in your trunk!

We packed ours in bubble wrap and no problem. As to the kids room if they are underage -21- an adult has to be listed in that room. We took our nephews 14 and 18 at the time, one was listed with me and the other with my husband. We had adjoining cabins and we had the doors between the 2 unlocked by the room steward. We took 4 bottles, 2 in my luggage and 2 in my husbands. I marked each bag with a label stating 2 bottles of wine .

An adult does NOT have to be booked with the children in the original post. The family is in two CONNECTED cabins. That fulfills all of RC's requirements.

Your nephews were not YOUR children; that is the difference.

Where in the check in process do they check the wine? If I am carrying two bottles of wine in my carry on and 20 mins later my friend (staying in the same room) brings two with him, how are they to know how many bottles are for that room?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

An adult does NOT have to be booked with the children in the original post. The family is in two CONNECTED cabins. That fulfills all of RC's requirements.

Your nephews were not YOUR children; that is the difference.

That fulfills all RC's requirements for booking. BUT, if one of the rooms has 2 minors booked in, can you bring 2 bottles of wine for that cabin in addition to the adult cabin?

That fulfills all RC's requirements for booking. BUT, if one of the rooms has 2 minors booked in, can you bring 2 bottles of wine for that cabin in addition to the adult cabin?

No...thus the "reasoning" behind many people "booking" an adult in the room with the minors...it isn't required by the cruise line...but get's an extra 2 bottles of wine onboard...;)

Where in the check in process do they check the wine? If I am carrying two bottles of wine in my carry on and 20 mins later my friend (staying in the same room) brings two with him, how are they to know how many bottles are for that room?

Integrity. you either have it, or you don't. Policy is very clear. 2 bottles per stateroom. doesn't matter who goes through Security when or in what line.

Interesting question. I would love to know the answer to that as well. Any experience cruisers know?

I've always put my wine in my checked baggage and have not had any problems. I take a large roll of bounty paper towels and gut out the center. Then I slip the wine bottle into the paper towel roll. The hollowed out roll of paper towels makes a nice cushioned sleeve. Then I just use the paper towels in the cabin for any necessary clean-ups.

Integrity. you either have it, or you don't. Policy is very clear. 2 bottles per stateroom. doesn't matter who goes through Security when or in what line.

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean that they are going to do something. Sometimes it's just a theoretical question. I found the question interesting and asked if anyone knows the answer - that does not mean that I plan to bring 4 bottles of wine per cabin.

Why is it that some people just want to make an issue out of simple questions?

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean that they are going to do something. Sometimes it's just a theoretical question. I found the question interesting and asked if anyone knows the answer - that does not mean that I plan to bring 4 bottles of wine per cabin.

Because this is Cruise Critic!:p

it was a simnple answer.. and I care beciuase the more people try and scam the system the more the honest consumers end up paying when the cruise line has to come down hard on the abuse.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. if you can live with yourself by justifying sidestepping the rules or exploiting loopholes then that's your prerogative. I choose to abide by stated policy without trying to find workarounds.

it was a simnple answer.. and I care beciuase the more people try and scam the system the more the honest consumers end up paying when the cruise line has to come down hard on the abuse.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. if you can live with yourself by justifying sidestepping the rules or exploiting loopholes then that's your prerogative. I choose to abide by stated policy without trying to find workarounds.

First, I have to say that I usually avoid the "confrontations" on this board. However, it's really been getting bad lately (maybe it's always been this way and I just didn't notice).

You completely missed my point. I can't speak for the original posters question, but I can speak to my point.

I followed up a question to his original post because I had wondered the same thing in the past and just wondered if there was some sort of computer program where they recorded who brought what. I am not/was not looking for a way to sidestep the rules or exploit loopholes. You made an egregious, arrogant assumption that just because a question was asked that someone is trying to break the rules. :mad:

I honestly believe that if people would hold their "holier than thou" opinions to themselves, this board would be a much nicer place.

I am not saying that people should not make others aware of the rules - there are many people that post questions on this board that honestly don't know the answer to their question or know each cruise lines policy. In that case, posting the policy can be helpful - but that is not what you did. You simply came on here and called into question people's integrity. I don't find that polite or helpful in anyway. I was taught as a child that if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

There are a lot of new cruisers or CC visitors that find all this very off-putting - me included. This is the first time that I have responded to something in this manner but I have felt this way for a long time about a lot of different threads. :confused: Maybe next time, you should simply try to educate people about the rule instead of jumping to conclusions and calling people's motives and integrity into question!

Edited by hgmizzou

I am very sorry to have "hijacked" your thread. :o You asked a legitimate question and, as I said above, I don't usually allow myself to get dragged into these conversations. However, I do not appreciate having my motives questioned by someone who has no idea what they are talking about. :eek:

In response to your original question, as I understand it, you can only have 2 bottles of wine per cabin - in those cabins with an adult listed in the room. Therefore, if one adult is listed in each of your rooms you can bring 4 bottles, if your second room only has kids listed (even though it is connecting) you can only bring 2 bottles for the cabin with the adults. If I am incorrect, someone please reply with the correction.

I hope you enjoy your wine and your cruise!! :)

Edited by hgmizzou