No more Sunshine-ing ships?

RyanDMB99@aol.com

In another thread it was mentioned that new CEO Arnold Donald would not be giving anymore ships the "sunshine" treatment. One of the responses was that 'maybe he's a quick learner...'

My question is, taking the old vs. new argument aside, What exactly would he have learned from the Sunshine? Is there in fact something not right with the vessel?

Just curious...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

In another thread it was mentioned that new CEO Arnold Donald would not be giving anymore ships the "sunshine" treatment. One of the responses was that 'maybe he's a quick learner...'

My question is, taking the old vs. new argument aside, What exactly would he have learned from the Sunshine? Is there in fact something not right with the vessel?

Just curious...

There have been some reports of problems, but few from first hand accounts. You always have to factor in the rumor mill.

Freedom was/is a fine ship....her refurb will be some 2.0 upgrades and probably regular drydock issues

but...Sunshine was the Destiny - a ship with a lot of design flaws IMHO...

mainly 1000 more passengers added with the same size buffet as the former Fantasy class ships

Carnival learned from that and added 2nd buffet/stretched and upstairs fish and chips etc to the next ship Conquest

Also Destiny had other problems...so they really totally gutted it and redid it as Sunshine

I am sure somewhere the cost effectiveness of this was taken into consideration and they may just find it more profitable to sail older ships with just some minor and 2.0 upgrades and/or sell them off and build new ships

Of course some will rush in here to rave about Sunshine but my guess is that it is not all that cost effective - the ship seems to have little deck space, open space - tho more places to eat (some at an additional fee)

Apparently the plumbing wasn't "upgraded" to handle all the additional cabins, and there are problems there. As noted above, they added LOTS of additional cabins, but took away open deck space, and even some dining room space, and common passenger space in order to add the cabins. (and additional passengers) I personally, don't enjoy most of the 2.0 "upgrades". Poor design in where the "Serenity Deck" is now located. (NOT serene anymore because of very close proximity to the BIG SCREEN and noise from the Lido Pool area.) New ships, like "Breeze" are far superior to the "Sunshine".

"SKY"

Apparently the plumbing wasn't "upgraded" to handle all the additional cabins, and there are problems there. As noted above, they added LOTS of additional cabins, but took away open deck space, and even some dining room space, and common passenger space in order to add the cabins. (and additional passengers) I personally, don't enjoy most of the 2.0 "upgrades". Poor design in where the "Serenity Deck" is now located. (NOT serene anymore because of very close proximity to the BIG SCREEN and noise from the Lido Pool area.) New ships, like "Breeze" are far superior to the "Sunshine".

"SKY"

Have you been on the Sunshine?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I have been on Glory... which is in the Conquest class, I didnt find anything amiss with the Lido buffet setup (or is this something fixed after Destiny?)

I have not been on Sunshine and dont have current plans to sail her. But I am fascinated with what goes on behind the scenes with regard to designs and building new vs fixing old... and I seem to find over and over again people have strong opinions of the sunshine.

Just curious...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5543

I have been on Glory... which is in the Conquest class, I didnt find anything amiss with the Lido buffet setup (or is this something fixed after Destiny?)

I have not been on Sunshine and dont have current plans to sail her. But I am fascinated with what goes on behind the scenes with regard to designs and building new vs fixing old... and I seem to find over and over again people have strong opinions of the sunshine.

?? Conquest "fixed" the problems of Destiny....Conquest and her sisters have the same number of cruisers just about with a buffet double the size of old Destiny plus they have the fish/chips which Destiny lacked

The lines, the seating, the mess of the buffet was truly not fun on Destiny

Destiny was actually a class by itself...it added 1000 passengers to the basic buffet design of Fantasy Class ships...with no room....Conquest was the solution

In addition - Destiny had other flaws - the aft pool design was 'fixed" on subsequent ships (fixed bar overhang etc on Destiny was bad for sunbathing)....Destiny had cabins by disco that had to be sold as hardship cabins....etc

It also seemed to have a series of bad luck over the years....I was on it 2x and thought it the worst ship I ever was on - it had air cond problems , it had plumbing problems and so forth.....also various mechanical problems

and anyone who disputes this - please go back and read old Destiny reviews....

Poor design in where the "Serenity Deck" is now located. (NOT serene anymore because of very close proximity to the BIG SCREEN and noise from the Lido Pool area.)

"SKY"

Jimbo I doubt Sky has been on the Sunshine just from this copy cat statement from many others. I was on her last week and The Serenity Deck is perfect. If you want the comfort of the serenity deck with the action of the lido deck, the first deck is for you. If you want peace and quiet there are 2 more decks the get you away from the lido deck. Its huge. By the way, guess which section of the serenity deck filled up first every morning? Yep, the one closest to the lido deck. I do agree too many cabins were added which took away some valuable space. Overall, beautiful ship!

Jimbo I doubt Sky has been on the Sunshine just from this copy cat statement from many others. I was on her last week and The Serenity Deck is perfect. If you want the comfort of the serenity deck with the action of the lido deck, the first deck is for you. If you want peace and quiet there are 2 more decks the get you away from the lido deck. Its huge. By the way, guess which section of the serenity deck filled up first every morning? Yep, the one closest to the lido deck. I do agree too many cabins were added which took away some valuable space. Overall, beautiful ship!

Many off the wall opinions out there with those who have not been on the Sunshine. For those that have been on her, it's overwhelmingly (but not all) positive.

It's not perfect but a very nice ship and I wish they would upgrade more of their ships like this.

We "Sunshine" homes, work buildings, roads, bridges, etc.. and all of them are a better value than building new.

Edited by fuddrules

Many off the wall opinions out there with those who have not been on the Sunshine. For those that have been on her, it's overwhelmingly (but not all) positive.

It's not perfect but a very nice ship and I wish they would upgrade more of their ships like this.

We "Sunshine" homes, work buildings, roads, bridges, etc.. and all of them are a better value than building new.

And the topic here is that that apparently Carnival does not plan to "sunshine" any more ships.

The article states that he has ruled out, but Arnold does not say anything of the sort. He says nothing planned of that magnitude. If they made major changes to another conquest ship it would not be to the magnitude of the destiny-sunshine.

Destiny was never a "Conquest" ship

Triumph and Victory are more like Destiny but with some of her problems fixed

then they brought in the Conquest design which "fixed" the problems

The 2 ships that they might have reason to "sunshine" would be Triumph and Victory.

Not to the magnitude?? well they will just add 2.0 updates to ships is my guess..that is nowhere near the "magnitude" of what they did to Destiny

My guess is that it is just not that cost effective to go to that much expense and effort on these older ships. The "Sunshine" did some major major structural chances far more extensive than adding burger and burritto stands

Destiny was never a "Conquest" ship

Triumph and Victory are more like Destiny but with some of her problems fixed

then they brought in the Conquest design which "fixed" the problems

The 2 ships that they might have reason to "sunshine" would be Triumph and Victory.

ds

Those 2 ships already have the additional deck, when they were built, as well as all the other fixes you infer.

I keep hearing a lot of complaint about the destiny. Let's not forget the destiny was the first ship to be over 100,000 tons. Well yes there was some design flaw issues with the buffet as well as some other things. It still served as the basic concept for most of carnivals fleet. Carnival followed similar layouts for the conquest class of ships. As for cost effective you do the math the Vista is costing over 500 million to build from the ground up. The sunshine/destiny was 150 million to over haul. Thus once again the destiny has served it's purpose as being the first. I can not wait to sail on her.

We were on the ship for the naming ceremony in New Orleans. It exced my expectations. I asked the question of Sky for the reason you mentioned. I cannot comment one way or the other on the added cabins as I did not sail on her. I am sure that more people are just that, more people.

?? Conquest "fixed" the problems of Destiny....Conquest and her sisters have the same number of cruisers just about with a buffet double the size of old Destiny plus they have the fish/chips which Destiny lacked

Destiny was actually a class by itself...it added 1000 passengers to the basic buffet design of Fantasy Class ships...with no room....Conquest was the solution

In addition - Destiny had other flaws - the aft pool design was 'fixed" on subsequent ships (fixed bar overhang etc on Destiny was bad for sunbathing)....Destiny had cabins by disco that had to be sold as hardship cabins....etc

It also seemed to have a series of bad luck over the years....I was on it 2x and thought it the worst ship I ever was on - it had air cond problems , it had plumbing problems and so forth.....also various mechanical problems

This is the type of information that fascinates me... thank you!!

Actually, the Triumph and the Victory were originally in the Destiny class. In fact, I still have brochures that state such. And then I have later brochures that state the two latter ships were all of a sudden the Triumph class.

We did cruise the two newer ships first, followed by the Destiny, and saw all the difference, starting with how sterile the decor of the Destiny was. And although the swim up bar was a cool idea, it always seemed to have a drink floating in it.

"SKY"

Have you been on the Sunshine?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

My wife sailed for 28 days aboard "Sunshine". She did the last Med Cruise, B2B with the Trans Atlantic. That gave her plenty of time to see both the good, and the "not so good" of the ship. Also, we are "Diamond", and have sailed most of the Carnival ships, so it's an easy comparison for us. What I posted above, was only a "bit" of her comments. Would I sail "Sunshine" again. YES, but I'd prefer most of the other ships in the fleet.

"SKY"

As noted in the post above, you're right, I've never been aboard "Sunshine", but my wife has done 28 days aboard, and the comment about the location of the Serenity Deck, was the very FIRST thing she told me. Did it ever occur to you that you may be hearing this from so many people, because IT'S TRUE? ;) Oh, and by the way,,,yes there are two more decks to the Serenity, but they aren't much bette,r as far as the blaring NOISE from the BIG SCREEN, or the Lido D.J. goes. :mad: At least, that's what the lovely Mrs. Jones tells me. ;)

"SKY"