Questions in the case of cancellation

We have a cruise planned for March, and our final payment is due Dec. 23. We may have to cancel because of health problems of our son. We did purchase insurance. I would appreciate so much if someone would explain what happens if we cancel now - do we get our deposit back? What happens if we go ahead and pay and then need to cancel just a few weeks prior (and we do have the insurance- does it cover that?). I read on the website about the penalties, but I don't understand if the insurance will cover cancellation for this reason.

We have a cruise planned for March, and our final payment is due Dec. 23. We may have to cancel because of health problems of our son. We did purchase insurance. I would appreciate so much if someone would explain what happens if we cancel now - do we get our deposit back? What happens if we go ahead and pay and then need to cancel just a few weeks prior (and we do have the insurance- does it cover that?). I read on the website about the penalties, but I don't understand if the insurance will cover cancellation for this reason.

If you cancel before final payment date, you will get all your deposit back.

If you cancel after final payment date, you would have to check your insurance policy to see if the cancellation reason is covered.

No one can answer whether insurance will cover any amount Royal doesn't refund. Is it Royal's insurance or third-party insurance? Is your son booked on the cruise or a non-traveler? Will there be any pre-existing condition issue with regard to his illness? These are some of the key questions--there may be others.

Personally, I wouldn't take Royal's Caribbean word on anything but confirmation of your applicable penalty deadlines per the schedule on this page on Royal's website.

Instead, I'd get the policy out, read it carefully and then call the insurance company in question to review all facts and potentially applicable provisions. Be sure to document all calls!

So sorry about your son--I hope his health improves and you don't have to cancel.

Edited by Artemis

Specifically what Insurer/Policy do you have? Is your son (a) booked to travel with you or (b) is he already staying home and you'd be cancelling to be with (care for) him?

As mentioned above, if you're cancelling prior to your Final Payment you should be refunded all your cruise costs. If you're cancelling after your Final Payment, see the Cruise Contract for the cancellation penalties (which increase the closer to the cruise you cancel); as long as you're cancelling for a reason covered in the Insurance Policy (which you're pretty likely to be), you should be reimbursed by the Travel Insurance for any non-refundable charges (you'll get your Govt Fees and taxes and any pre-paid gratuities refunded by the cruiseline, regardless of insurance).

ken

Edited by Ken076

We purchased the insurance that RCI offers. I don't have the policy. Our son is not a passenger, and we would be missing the cruise to care for him.

" Royal Caribbean International will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*).

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or
members of either of your immediate families
which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated.
"

*the indicated restriction is that your son cannot have had this condition in the 60 day window preceding your purchase (payment) of the RCI Policy - unless he had the condition before the 60 days and the condition was under continuing medication with no hospital/physician visits or changes in Rx. A downside of the RCI policy is that it does not include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions".

Also note that you purchase (activate) the Policy the day you actually paid for it, which would then be the date you start counting 60 days back to determine the lookback window.

ken

Edited by Ken076

" Royal Caribbean International will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*).

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or
members of either of your immediate families
which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated.
"

*the indicated restriction is that your son cannot have had this condition in the 60 day window preceding your purchase (payment) of the RCI Policy - unless he had the condition before the 60 days and the condition was under continuing medication with no hospital/physician visits or changes in Rx. A downside of the RCI policy is that it does not include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions".

Also note that you purchase (activate) the Policy the day you actually paid for it, which would then be the date you start counting 60 days back to determine the lookback window.

ken

Just want to make sure you understand this... there have been reports that the policy is purchased when you make final payment - not when you booked the cruise, even though added to your total at that point. If this is in fact true, your son's illness would probably be excluded because of the 60 day look back period. I would call and get clarification on your particular situation and make sure that you write down names, dates and times.

HTH

Just want to make sure you understand this... there have been reports that the policy is purchased when you make final payment - not when you booked the cruise, even though added to your total at that point. If this is in fact true, your son's illness would probably be excluded because of the 60 day look back period. I would call and get clarification on your particular situation and make sure that you write down names, dates and times.

HTH

Yes - the RCI Policy clearly states that the policy is "activated" ONLY when RCI has received payment for the policy[/i]; that date establishes the date that the 60-day lookback window "begins". Any condition that "started" during that look back window (or a previously controlled condition that "changed" during that look back window) would be excluded from coverage. The OP needs to establish this "timeline" and see where the son's condition falls in it.

Third party policies that include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and that are purchased within the required 14-21 days of booking, preclude these situations.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Thank you. You went above and beyond with helping me understand what it is that we should do. I do appreciate your time and effort.

So...if you ordered RCI'S Trip Insurance at booking but did not pay for it then, you might be looking at some pre-existing Condition problems with the RCI Policy. You might well be better off canceling before your Final Payment date and getting all your money refunded.

With the RCI Policy, ecven if you are turned-down for 100% cash reimbursement, due to a pre-existing condition, you can still cancel pretty much up to sail away and get a 75% future cruise CREDIT reimbursement.

One option is to look at CSA Freestyle and Freestyle Deluxe Trip Insurance policies (you can google the Policy and Sources) which I believe still include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if purchased up to Final Payment. You'd want to clearly confirm that you're getting the Waiver when purchasing either of these Policies. IMO these are excellent policies, better coverages than the Cruiseline Policies, and probably less expensive the younger you are! (Be careful - I believe the more easily obtainerd CSA Custom and Custom Deluxe policies do NOT include the Waiver!)

Ken

My recent experience with RCI's Cruise Care having to cancel when my husband went into the hospital unexpectedly.

We booked a b2b in November of 2012 for October of 2013. We added Cruise Care insurance in January of 2013.

When you fill out the forms you will be asked when you added insurance and when you made final payment.

When I canceled it was one week from departure. I submitted the claim forms and received every penny back with the exception of the Cruise Care Insurance that was added to each booking. I was extremely pleased.

Edited by cruisenfever

If you cancel before your final payment date you will get your deposit back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I was going to tell them that after reading all the other stuff. It does shock me at times when the OP gives all the info and some of the other things we see from people.

This information was provided early on (post 3), but the OP did also ask what would happen if they went ahead and paid and then had to cancel before the cruise:)

Another option

Cancel the cruise get your deposit and when you have a clearer picture in a couple of months book the cruise or not-save the cost of insurance (if you did not pay for it yet).

disclaimer-I do not have experience with insurance-I usually do not buy it.

Edited by harry0