Oasis - Stuck on the Zip Line?

FordCapri

RCCL does a lot with the Make-A-Wish foundation. Additionally RCCL works very hard in trying to assess any person with special needs, whether they are part of Make-A Wish Foundation or cruising separately of the foundation , with regards to their ability to ride the zip line.

If you noticed the person in the yellow shirt is much smaller than the other. Also the person that is smaller their legs are disproportionate to their torso. So I'm guessing the person in the white T-shirt is from RCCL's zip line crew and is riding tandem to help fulfill the individual's wish as that person might not have full use of their legs. Of course their combined weight must not exceed the safety limit and this is not done for able body passengers.

Basing my guess on what I experienced on the Allure back in 2011. Regularly cruise with a group that many aare disabled due to MS . RCCL's team worked very hard to help one in the group fulfill a bucket list dream to ride a zip line. Since the individual did not have use of his legs and could not raise his legs which is required for the landing one option considered ,provided the weight load was not exceeded, was to tandem the individual to a RCCL's zip line staff member.

Just HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS CONCLUSION JUST BY LOOKING AT THAT PICTURE?????????? I mean really! What goes on in your head to come up with this just by looking at that picture.

Really I just have so much to say, but I can't, you make it too easy and I actually can't stop laughing.

i did find a video on youtube of a zip line rescue on Oasis

OMG, He was scared to go at first, now, he'll never go again! Why was he kicking his legs like that, that's what made him go back!

Only on cruise critic could a photo of two people on the Oasis zipline turn into an argument over how many people are actually in the photo and what they are doing in said photo. LOL

:D:D It's funny because it's true! :D:D I think they are making the Gold Members go two at a time to make room for the Pinnacle Members!

I doubt if he is just stuck. If you look at the video posted it seems that RCI has a pretty good system for getting people "unstuck". It looks like they have done it before and it didn't include putting a second man out there. However, I wouldn't venture a guess as to what is really going on there.:confused:. It does look as if at least one person's hand is on the cable.

I happened to came across this pic on the morning of December 3rd, 2013 at around 10:30am. Do you think the guy is stuck on the Zip Line? But it's nice to know the steel wire is strong enough for two full sized adults!:)

vr3p0p.jpg

My take on the photo is that an employee is assisting a "special needs" guest with a ride on the zip line. I am not sure if the riders are stuck, as the spectators are watching in a relaxed position. Especially one of the people on the on the upper deck. The two people standing on the upper deck, are standing where guests would stand waiting for their friend/family member to exit the zip line. I am concerned with the "dip" in the zip line, but the camera angle could provide an illusion. I am also concerned with the placement of the hands of the riders - I can't get a clear enough image to see if they are holding on to the line, or waving. Only time will tell. In addition, there is not a crowd gathering; a person stuck on the zip line would be certain to bring a crowd.

This is a web cam photo from the Oasis, and the web cam does take still photographs. It is hard to for any of us to know exactly what is happening here. But, it is sure fun to guess.

Edited by sleepless

Keep in mind too that the people in the photo are coming TOWARDS us - not away. To me it almost looks like there was a problem, and the staff member went out to help the guest reach up and pull themselves along the rope hand over hand. If you had come to a complete stop and for some reason the pulley system we saw in the video cannot get you in, maybe this was the only recourse? I know that since I am short - 5'2 - there is no way that my arms would be long enough to reach up and grab that wire.

We leave on Oasis tomorrow - I will ask what happened!!

I'm not sure how often the webcam changes, but isn't it is every 20 seconds or so? Did the OP look at the cam long enough to see the shot change? If so, were these people in the next shot? I would think if someone was stuck they would be visible in the webcam for quite awhile.

There are a few people in the picture watching so somebody will come back from the cruise and let us know.....hopefully. Let's keep this near the top so those on the ship now will come back and see this thread to provide an answer.

I was watching this also, hoping for the same thing. Not sure what the odds are of a CC member from this sailing being there, or knowing anything about this pic, but ......

Just to confirm what was previously mentioned by cello56, this was a training exercise and they practiced multiple rescues that morning. My wife and I were eating breakfast outside at Johnny Rockets while they were training. We asked one of the cruise members what was happening and they told us that the zipline team was practicing. A view of the "rescue" from below:

zipline100.jpg.88a6ac07d62365ff2852c4fd5fb1bab4.jpg

zipline101.jpg.e3a491be593f99c53aae5fc83c5cd537.jpg

It is interesting that it turned out to be a training run for the staff. Facing sideways as they are, you would think the handled device on the size line would be in the way.

I was on a real zip line once and they gave us heavy duty gloves to wear to slow ourselves down and to pull ourselves along the wire if we stopped too soon. It does not look like they are even wearing gloves.

The zip line on the Oasis and Allure is much more user friendly with a handled device in front of you. It is over so quickly, that it is hard to imagine there is time to get stuck, but there must be.

It is interesting that it turned out to be a training run for the staff. Facing sideways as they are, you would think the handled device on the size line would be in the way.

I was on a real zip line once and they gave us heavy duty gloves to wear to slow ourselves down and to pull ourselves along the wire if we stopped too soon. It does not look like they are even wearing gloves.

The zip line on the Oasis and Allure is much more user friendly with a handled device in front of you. It is over so quickly, that it is hard to imagine there is time to get stuck, but there must be.

How much time does it take for the roller mechanism to break?

I just spoke with the zip line staff here on Oasis. They were doing a training exercise for a rescue! Both people in the photo were RCI staff!

Oh, what a letdown! I was on a cruise, so, I couldn't come back to this until today! I expected something much more dramatic. :p