After Diamond Head then what?

Grammyluvs

We are arriving by cruise ship to Port 2 in Feb for the day. Would like to take a bus to Diamond Head and do the hike to the top. After that, we are conflicted. Does anyone know a resort on Waikiki that offers day passes. Our ship doesn’t leave until 11 PM. We thought we would enjoy Waikiki or any other beach with nice facilities for the rest of the day and dinner. Not sure where to go or how to get there. Have already been to Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl and Cultural Center twice. Any help out there? Thanks

I agree with the others - I don't think Hotels in Waikiki offer day passes to cruisers

The beach at Waikiki is excellent for a nice swim, however, do walk along the pathway close to the water.

Fort Derussy is well worth a visit.

If you want to sit back & enjoy a light meal/or coffee walk one block back from the water & you will find plenty of cafes to relax in. Beachwalk is my favourite.

We are arriving by cruise ship to Port 2 in Feb for the day. Would like to take a bus to Diamond Head and do the hike to the top. After that, we are conflicted. Does anyone know a resort on Waikiki that offers day passes. Our ship doesn’t leave until 11 PM. We thought we would enjoy Waikiki or any other beach with nice facilities for the rest of the day and dinner. Not sure where to go or how to get there. Have already been to Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl and Cultural Center twice. Any help out there? Thanks

Not sure about hotel day passes, but we're planning to do a morning hike up Diamond Head and then an afternoon visit to Doris Duke's Shangri La residence. This tour starts from and ends at the the Hawaii Museum of Art. The trip to the residence is via 25 passenger museum bus. We visited the Duke residence at Rough Point and enjoyed the tour.

Bob

All beaches in Hawaii are public. There are rentals of surfboards, kayaks, etc right on the beach in Waikiki. There are restaurants that line the beach with outdoor patios. Hanauma Bay is best for snorkeling in the morning when the water is less rough. But honestly after you hike Diamond Head, you may be too tired to go snorkeling. Waikiki is very walkable and has tons of shops, restaurants, the beach, surf lessons, etc. If you are not renting a car, I would probably just relax there. If you have a car, that will open up your options a little more.

Also you will be going during the height of whale season, so maybe a whale watching cruise? Or if you still have energy hike to the top of the Makapu'u lighthouse it's a pretty easy 2 mile round trip to the top, but it's a good place to see the humpback whales. Also Maui (if you're going there) has my very favorite whale watching cruise.. http://www.pacificwhale.org/

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan on renting a car, drive the Pali Highway for a memorable scenic tour. If you are foodies, look up some local fare and places to find it. Waikiki is soooo commercial and doesn't represent the beauty that Oahu has. We drove to the Northshore and visited the Dole Plantation. We didn't do the tour but there are gardens to walk, a large general store, and hello....try the pineapple!! We also hit the Aulani Disney Resort to snoop and check out the grounds. We enjoyed a cold ice cream while walking around.

Hawaii is so magical - I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did!!

I didnt care for this area to be honest. There were high end shops there and it was VERY commercialized. Im ok with growth, dont get me wrong, but why a Cartier and other high end shops. Kinda reminded me of Time Square in NYC.

You're just talking about Waikiki. The area gets tons of tourists from the Far East, very label-conscious and willing to spend large sums of money to buy said items. US Capitalism at it's best. There are lots of folks from somewhere in the US who love to wait in line for hours to get into The Cheesecake Factory and Margaritaville on Kalekauna Ave. Also remember, Honolulu is a large city and Waikiki is just one area. You gotta get out and about to see more!!!

Oahu has a great public transportation system.. Takes you nearly everywhere you'd want to go. Everything is open Sunday with the exception of some businesses in Laie which is where the Mormon temple is. Everything in the touristy areas will be open.

Oahu has a great public transportation system.. Takes you nearly everywhere you'd want to go. Everything is open Sunday with the exception of some businesses in Laie which is where the Mormon temple is. Everything in the touristy areas will be open.

Can you walk to the bus from the port in Oahu?