Insurance debacle - help!

Birdnutty

I always buy travel insurance. Thank the good lord, never had to use it. But this year, with 4 elderly parents in a fragile but stable (for now) situation, I'm concerned that there's a reasonable chance we may need to forego our b2b starting at the end of Jan.

Here's the scoop. Final payment was made a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure up till the day we paid whether we'd go thru with it. We too frequently change our minds up to the very end. That's why I don't pay for insurance until the last minute.

My primary reason for buying insurance is med evac. We've seen one out in the middle of nowhere, and it must have been outrageously expensive. Trip cancellation is a minor force. Generally, we feel if we can afford to buy the cruise, we can afford to lose the money. (But nowhere near as much fun) But this year, even tho we got great prices on our 4 day + 10 day, it amounts to a significant sum that I really would hate to lose if we had to stay home, or come home in the middle of.

Delved into reveiws, and realized those 5 star ratings meant nothing. Out of several thousand reviews, 9/10ths of them gave 5 stars and never had to file a claim. Not a useful review. Go to the other end of the spectrum, and read the 1 and 2 stars. Those were all folks that had filed claims and were denied. So the star system means nothing until the survey starts to eliminate those that did not have to file a claim.

In reading reviews of the various insurance companies, I became increasingly discouraged, as people reported on actualities as opposed to the bill of goods they were sold by the agents. They told of lack of communication, suddenly liberal and contradictory interpretations by the insurance companies of the limitations and the like. Some claims were denied on the basis that having an elderly parent is a pre-existing condition(???) and that sickness or death of said parent was excluded from coverage.

So I guess that's my question: Since it's obviously too late to get pre-existing conditions covered, is it even worth getting more than med evac coverage? Or are there still companies that will cover the unforeseen potential events even at this stage of the game?

Or does anyone know of some insurance agencies being better than others for coverage? From the reviews I read, one can't even trust what the agents say on the phone. So confused and discouraged....

Please don't tell me what I SHOULD have done. That horse is out of the barn and FAR away. Please give me advice - what would you do now?

And what company is most likely to be trustworthy?

Sorry for all the questions. I've really got my knickers in a twist over this.

Here's my first-hand experience with TravelGuard. In a word - exceptional.

I had to cancel my cruise 48 hours before sailing, due to the imminent death of my sister who was in the end-stages of cancer. Not only were the claims staff amazingly professional and compassionate - I had my payment of the entire cruise fare refunded to me in about two weeks.

Recently I have started using TravelEx, because the medivac coverage is considerably more substantial. Fingers crossed that if I ever have to use the coverage, they are as good as TravelGuard was.

Meanwhile, hoping it all works out well for you. We're of that age when this is a continual concern for us as well - with all but my mother now gone - so I totally understand where you're at. Wishing well for you. ;)

Travel Guard is the old work horse of the travel insurance industry. When I worked for years as a travel agent, it was the only insurance I would sell. I still buy it for our own travel insurance needs. Luckily, I have not had to use it....but I like that it is there if needed. I am sure there are others that are just as good, but Travel Guard has a good record.

I always buy travel insurance. Thank the good lord, never had to use it. But this year, with 4 elderly parents in a fragile but stable (for now) situation, I'm concerned that there's a reasonable chance we may need to forego our b2b starting at the end of Jan.

Here's the scoop. Final payment was made a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure up till the day we paid whether we'd go thru with it. We too frequently change our minds up to the very end. That's why I don't pay for insurance until the last minute.

My primary reason for buying insurance is med evac. We've seen one out in the middle of nowhere, and it must have been outrageously expensive. Trip cancellation is a minor force. Generally, we feel if we can afford to buy the cruise, we can afford to lose the money. (But nowhere near as much fun) But this year, even tho we got great prices on our 4 day + 10 day, it amounts to a significant sum that I really would hate to lose if we had to stay home, or come home in the middle of.

Delved into reveiws, and realized those 5 star ratings meant nothing. Out of several thousand reviews, 9/10ths of them gave 5 stars and never had to file a claim. Not a useful review. Go to the other end of the spectrum, and read the 1 and 2 stars. Those were all folks that had filed claims and were denied. So the star system means nothing until the survey starts to eliminate those that did not have to file a claim.

In reading reviews of the various insurance companies, I became increasingly discouraged, as people reported on actualities as opposed to the bill of goods they were sold by the agents. They told of lack of communication, suddenly liberal and contradictory interpretations by the insurance companies of the limitations and the like. Some claims were denied on the basis that having an elderly parent is a pre-existing condition(???) and that sickness or death of said parent was excluded from coverage.

So I guess that's my question: Since it's obviously too late to get pre-existing conditions covered, is it even worth getting more than med evac coverage? Or are there still companies that will cover the unforeseen potential events even at this stage of the game?

Or does anyone know of some insurance agencies being better than others for coverage? From the reviews I read, one can't even trust what the agents say on the phone. So confused and discouraged....

Please don't tell me what I SHOULD have done. That horse is out of the barn and FAR away. Please give me advice - what would you do now?

And what company is most likely to be trustworthy?

Sorry for all the questions. I've really got my knickers in a twist over this.

Stay away from TripMate, I paid for the upgraded insurance and I am fighting them now because of my broken foot on the Breakaway last May. They denied my copays because "you weren't covered once off the ship". (Even though I have referral letter from NCL Doctor to go to an orthopedic surgeon) I pointed out if someone had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital, they are no longer on the ship either. I am in the process of reporting them to ripoff report, the attorney general, the BBB, My local senator, my councilman and the CEO of the Chamber of Commerce who are all neighbors of mine as well as plastering my situation all over social media/cruise forums. I hope they read this too so they know what is coming their way. My few dollars in copays will cost them a lot more then that in lost revenue.

Travel Guard is the old work horse of the travel insurance industry. When I worked for years as a travel agent, it was the only insurance I would sell. I still buy it for our own travel insurance needs. Luckily, I have not had to use it....but I like that it is there if needed. I am sure there are others that are just as good, but Travel Guard has a good record.

Me too and I did have a client that had to use it when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer about 3 weeks before her sailing. It was to be a 50th wedding anniversary celebration: she and hubby were taking all the kids and grandkids. All that had to be done was a few papers filled out, signed by the doctor, and they had their entire cruise purchase back in less than a month.

I know you don't want to be told what you should have done, but you need to be aware that the time frame in which you buy the insurance could have an influence on what is covered.

We have primarily used TravelGuard. I never take the "standard packages" offered. I like to talk to an agent at the 800#. They are able to customize some components such as raising coverage amounts for only a few dollars more.

Tell the agent your situation with the parents and ask if that coverage is possible or impossible at this point and what package you need to buy. They are very helpful in explaining how different situations would be handled.

OP, I feel the same way about warranties. I still buy the trip insurance. The one time I didn't buy it was the one time I needed it!

I know there is at least one insurance company out there that allows you to get pre-existing conditions coverage as long as you buy it within a time frame after final payment. What I don't remember is the name of that company nor that time frame.

I suggest you post your question on the insurance board here on CC. There are some great folks who monitor it regularly with lots of experience.

Stay away from TripMate, I paid for the upgraded insurance and I am fighting them now because of my broken foot on the Breakaway last May. They denied my copays because "you weren't covered once off the ship". (Even though I have referral letter from NCL Doctor to go to an orthopedic surgeon) I pointed out if someone had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital, they are no longer on the ship either. I am in the process of reporting them to ripoff report, the attorney general, the BBB, My local senator, my councilman and the CEO of the Chamber of Commerce who are all neighbors of mine as well as plastering my situation all over social media/cruise forums. I hope they read this too so they know what is coming their way. My few dollars in copays will cost them a lot more then that in lost revenue.

You go girl!

Another TravelGuard advocate here. We purchased it for our land trip that was to happen last Thanksgiving. We bought it before my dad died, and he was the named insured on the trip.

Dad died in April, we decided in OCTOBER to cancel the trip and we had our check in less than a week, along with a hand-signed condolence card from our rep.

First, thanks for your suggestions and help. I didn't even know there Is an insurance forum, despite my many years on CC. Will need to check it out

For those that sold it, do you think there's a TravelGuard policy that will cover me at this point in time? 7 weeks out?

I want to be able to trust the agent I talk to, but realize that the one who eagerly sells me the insurance is vastly different than the one who deals with claims if they occur.

You *may* be able to get a policy with a cancel for any reason rider which would get you 50-75% of the cost back.

My best suggestion is to get a notarized letter from each of your parents' physicians stating that on the date that you plan to buy your insurance that they are medically fit.

My primary reason for buying insurance is med evac.

I know a co-worker had to have his wife airlifted off the side of a mountain when she fell and hit her head, the bill just for helicopter flight was $70,000 that did not include all of the medical personnel onboard/medical attention or anything additional (once they got her to the hospital) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently I have started using TravelEx, because the medivac coverage is considerably more substantial. Fingers crossed that if I ever have to use the coverage, they are as good as TravelGuard was.

We've gone with TravelEx since we began purchasing travel insurance - didn't the first two cruises, but then because of a close call on that second one, we've purchased ever since. We take TravelEx over others primarily because the medical coverage is primary and not secondary as most others and the cost is pretty much the same. Luckily we haven't had to use it, but seeing the stories of what happens when things go wrong, or even just a simple visit to the ship's doctor, I prefer to travel with a clear head and not be concerned with it. I just consider it part of the cost of the trip - not a big deal or extra cost in my mind.

Howard

Guest maddycat

You might also want to report them to your state insurance commissioner.

Guest maddycat
We've gone with TravelEx since we began purchasing travel insurance - didn't the first two cruises, but then because of a close call on that second one, we've purchased ever since. We take TravelEx over others primarily because the medical coverage is primary and not secondary as most others and the cost is pretty much the same. Luckily we haven't had to use it, but seeing the stories of what happens when things go wrong, or even just a simple visit to the ship's doctor, I prefer to travel with a clear head and not be concerned with it. I just consider it part of the cost of the trip - not a big deal or extra cost in my mind.

Howard

I also used to buy TravelEx. However, for the last few cruises I have purchased Travel Safe. It's also primary coverage but costs less than TravelEx for more coverage.

I had also had bad luck with getting 1 ins agency to pay a claim. I have since been referred here.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/

and plan on buying it from them.

Use them to purchase all our trip insurance coverage. They are very knowledgeable and helpful in getting you the best coverage for your situation whatever it maybe.

Good luck;)

Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, I just spoke to Kim at Travel Insurance Store dot com and told her of my needs, what I cared about, what I didn't, etc. She went thru the 6 companies that they deal with (proven to be reliable and honest) and found the one that best suited my situation.

I do not qualify for any waiver of pre-existing conditions, as our final payment was a considerable time ago. My biggest concern was family members who are elderly, in good shape at the moment, with only advanced age as a concern. She found a policy that had no look back on family members that are not traveling with us but whose sudden change in health could influence our ability to travel. The policy also had more than I even was looking for in other coverage (interruption, med evac, and primary medical coverage) for a very reasonable price.

I can get my insurance now, feeling confident that the insurance company is a trusted one and that I should be well taken care of if anything happens.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Stay away from TripMate,

I am in the process of reporting them to ripoff report, the attorney general, the BBB, My local senator, my councilman and the CEO of the Chamber of Commerce who are all neighbors of mine as well as plastering my situation all over social media/cruise forums.

As another poster said, you'd be better off reporting them to your state's insurance commission, which is the agency that can actually solve the problem. I'm not quite sure why you would mention it to your councilman and CEO of the Chamber of commerce other than as neighbors since they can't do anything about it under the best of circumstances. Ripoff report is a barely-legal blackmail scam that will not remove false postings without payment by the business (It costs $2,000 to have a false report removed. Even if the original poster is successfully sued for defamation, the post still will not come down without payment.) The BBB has no enforcement powers at all, and the larger companies simply ignore them entirely.

Edited by sirwired

Well, people are more likely to post a review about a bad experience than a good one. I've personally had four claims processed by TravelGuard and had no problems worth mentioning with any of them. ALL insurance companies will have negative reviews out there; finding one that does not is like trying to find a cruise line with no negative reviews.

As far as the "elderly parent is a pre-existing condition". Yes; that's a real complaint, but the original post concerns specific language in some Australian policies (as in, it's not a "gotcha" afterwards, and is about policies you can't buy here), and is a fairly common, for better or worse, insurance clause there. (The policies are cheaper as a result.)