What does "Signature of Excellence" mean?

OlsSalt

I think the Princess tag line of Escape Completely is miles ahead of any of the other mass market lines.

It leaves HAL's 'Signature of Excellence' in the dust and subject to ridicule.

IMHO HAL should belly up to the bar and hire a good outside marketing consulting firm to overhaul their message and their tag lines.

We got off a 42 day cruise on the Maasdam today. I was going to write a short review of our cruise and call it your "Signature of Inconsistency". I will give details later.

But I may have coined a new cruise term; we have "chair hogs"' now we have "food hogs"; hoarding of food by both staff and passengers!

Looking forward to your views and review. Food hoarding is an interesting idea, so let us know!

Hope you had a great cruise.

Personally.....and I'm putting on my flame-resistant clothing....in retrospect I now consider the advent of the Signature of Excellence (SOE) program as a smoke screen for what I think have turned out to be the gradual degradation of the HAL experience. Sure, some aspects were good and, like the new beds that were introduced early on in the program, some were actually outstanding. Maybe it's nothing more than coincidence but the SOE program came about around the same time they made what for us turned out to be terrible changes to venues like the Crow's Nest and the slow but sure loss of first crew bands then contract bands that used to perform nightly. Probably unfair to blame SOE but it marked the beginning of the end for us and things have not been as excellent as they once were.

Yeah, they hired an ad agency and said, "We're going to be cutting back on service to save money. How can we present it?". The answer was, "Signature of Excellence! We'll send you the bill." :D

I am having a real hard time understanding why some think "Signature of Excellence" sets up expectations that disappoint HAL guests. As one of our regular posters would say ... ;) a quick trip to HAL's website provided what I copied/condensed below. I see no false advertising or false marketing. While my first HAL cruise was in 2004, I clearly remember the excitement when this program was announced ... new comfy mattresses and the addition of Pinnacle Grill.

Holland America Line launched Signature of Excellence in 2003, designed to enhance all aspects of the guest experience: elegant accommodations, sophisticated five-star dining, gracious, award-winning service and extensive enrichment programs and activities. To date, Holland America Line has invested more than $500 million in Signature of Excellence. Its one-of-a-kind programs and enhancements include:

• (each bullet condensed by me)
    • Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine magazine
    • New “Dancing with the Stars: At Sea” experience
    • An Evening at Le Cirque takes place in the Pinnacle Grill one evening on each cruise
    • New alternative, vegetarian-only menu, as well as 30 new vegetarian dishes
    • A new 20-dish Master Chef’s International Dinner in the main dining room
    • Taste of De Librije
    • A sustainable seafood program
    • Greenhouse Spa with exclusive signature treatments
    • Digital Workshop powered by Windows®
    • Explorations Café powered by The New York Times
    • New spa and lanai stateroom categories
    • New stateroom amenities highlighted by the plush Euro-top Mariner’s Dream Bed, refined bathroom appointments, flat-panel TVs, pillow menus, new soft goods and bedding and more
    • Club HAL® for kids and tweens
    • The Collections of Holland America Line — specially chosen shore excursions to further enhance guests' appreciation and understanding of the places they visit