Advise for Pre-Cruise Stay

gracie65

I am booked for the Carnival Valor 11/16/14 sail date. I know it's a long time out but love to plan early. I can't set any of this in stone until the airlines open their booking dates out that far but here is what I'm thinking, any advise on a different hotel location etc. is appreciated.

Would like to fly in on Thursday the 13th. Based on current air times should be able to get there by mid afternoon. Would like to rent a car and stay either at

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach or El Conquistador closer to Fajardo.

Wyndham + car is 742.00 for 3 nights, El Conquistador is 881.00 with car for 3 nights. Is the El Conquistador worth the difference? I do want to be near the ocean and have some nice pools but mainly want to stay this way to do The Rainforest one day and Bio Bay one evening. Are there any other resorts I should consider? I also looked at Vieques but just think with Ferry times it would be time taken away from other things we could do.

Stayed at the Wyndham back when it was a Westin. I really enjoyed it - good beach!!! I've heard that it is a little tired now and is scheduled for renovations. Also, unless you have a car, your only food choices are the expensive resort options. Keep that in mind.

The El Conquistador is a Waldorf-Astoria hotel. It's not beachfront, but on a cliff overlooking the water. You take a boat to their private island, Palomino, to do the beach thing. At the hotel itself, they have lots of pools, so unless you need the beach, you're good. I think the property's original purpose was some new-age guru's "university"…

Both hotels have a "resort fee" that is not part of the room charge - be sure that you include that in your pricing. Also, check for parking fees - even the Wyndham charges for self-parking…

I'm looking at a potential vacation to Puerto Rico next November, also. I'm looking at dividing my time at the St. Regis resort and the W on Vieques. I've had friends stay at both places and loved them both. The W is supposed to be amazing!!!

Stayed at the Wyndham back when it was a Westin. I really enjoyed it - good beach!!! I've heard that it is a little tired now and is scheduled for renovations. Also, unless you have a car, your only food choices are the expensive resort options. Keep that in mind.

The El Conquistador is a Waldorf-Astoria hotel. It's not beachfront, but on a cliff overlooking the water. You take a boat to their private island, Palomino, to do the beach thing. At the hotel itself, they have lots of pools, so unless you need the beach, you're good. Again, if you don't have a car, you don't have many dining choices.

Both hotels have a "resort fee" that is not part of the room charge - be sure that you include that in your pricing. Also, check for parking fees - even the Wyndham charges for self-parking…

I'm looking at a potential vacation to Puerto Rico next November, also. I'm looking at dividing my time at the St. Regis resort and the W on Vieques. I've had friends stay at both places and loved them both. The W is supposed to be amazing!!!

Thanks Slidergirl. I looked at the W but thought it was a bit overpriced for what we want to do. We have been at the one in Fort Lauderdale before and loved it. I mainly wanted to be in that area to do some of the things we have never taken advantage of like Bio Bay and The Rainforest. I don't need a expensive resort because we may not be there very much. I also don't want anything really cheap either though!!! LOL.

I am glad you pointed out about the beach for El-Conquistador. It does look beautiful by all the images I have seen.

The rates I listed in my first post actually included the car rental from SJU. I will also have to compare the parking rates at each location.

Thanks for your input!!

The El Conquistador is a Waldorf-Astoria hotel. It's not beachfront, but on a cliff overlooking the water. You take a boat to their private island, Palomino, to do the beach thing. At the hotel itself, they have lots of pools, so unless you need the beach, you're good. Again, if you don't have a car, you don't have many dining choices.

Love the suitcase quiz!!

We stayed at El Con for 3 nights pre-cruise and absolutely loved it. Great place!

Good location for Bio Bay and rainforest trips. We didn't rent a car, and for 3 days that was fine. Any longer, and I'd want to have transportation.

We enjoyed the quick boat ride to the beach at Palomino Island, and didn't find that it detracted from the resort. Palomino is just beautiful and well worth a whole day on its own, what with the snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, and restaurants.

We stayed at El Con for 3 nights pre-cruise and absolutely loved it. Great place!

Good location for Bio Bay and rainforest trips. We didn't rent a car, and for 3 days that was fine. Any longer, and I'd want to have transportation.

We enjoyed the quick boat ride to the beach at Palomino Island, and didn't find that it detracted from the resort. Palomino is just beautiful and well worth a whole day on its own, what with the snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, and restaurants.

Did you just get a cab from the airport and back or do they have a shuttle? The rental car is only 137.00 of the total I listed so was thinking it would come out less for the car then taxi/shuttle etc.

We booked the shuttle, and took a cab back to SJ. The total was more than a rental car would have been, but it was worth it to us not to have to drive in PR. I've done that -- not anxious to repeat the experience if I can afford a driver.

The rental car parking lot at El Con is a bit of a hike from the hotel. You will definitely save money using a rental car, but it will be less convenient. Your call whether the savings are worth the inconvenience.

We booked the shuttle, and took a cab back to SJ. The total was more than a rental car would have been, but it was worth it to us not to have to drive in PR. I've done that -- not anxious to repeat the experience if I can afford a driver.

The rental car parking lot at El Con is a bit of a hike from the hotel. You will definitely save money using a rental car, but it will be less convenient. Your call whether the savings are worth the inconvenience.

Do you recall how much the shuttle and taxi's were?

This was two years ago - the shuttle was $37 pp (free water, soda, and rum), and the taxi was $100.

El Con charges up front for the round trip shuttle, but readily credited back the return trip when we checked out.

Ok so you booked thru the resort for the shuttle. That's really not too bad considering as you said you don't have to drive. Are the roads there any crazier then Miami and DC area?

Haven't been in those areas. Of the places I've been, I'd say the northern part of PR is like Manhattan during the day, or Chicago at rush hour. Not insane, but not stress-free. A lot of cars on the road, and they don't always use turn signals and sometimes cut in front of you.

Haven't been in those areas. Of the places I've been, I'd say the northern part of PR is like Manhattan during the day, or Chicago at rush hour. Not insane, but not stress-free. A lot of cars on the road, and they don't always use turn signals and sometimes cut in front of you.

Thanks for all your input!!