I know nothing about Florida

TacomaJ

I'm from California and will be coming to Ft. Lauderdale Jan. 3 to cruise on the Princess Ruby. I am meeting a friend who is coming in from Ohio to cruise with me. Hotels for that night are very expensive. We won't have time to enjoy the hotel, we basically just need a safe, decent place to stay and have a good breakfast. We will also probably need a late dinner the night before.

I looked up Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place, which seem to be the most popular hotels talked about on this forum as great places to stay. They are already booked for Jan. 3.

We just booked this cruise today, so now I'm panicking because we don't have a decent hotel. Help! Please! It's going to be kind of stressful not knowing the area and trying to get from airport to hotel to port. A friend also to me Ft. Lauderdale is not a very nice city and the people that drive taxi's and shuttles are pretty rude.

I'm from California and will be coming to Ft. Lauderdale Jan. 3 to cruise on the Princess Ruby. I am meeting a friend who is coming in from Ohio to cruise with me. Hotels for that night are very expensive. We won't have time to enjoy the hotel, we basically just need a safe, decent place to stay and have a good breakfast. We will also probably need a late dinner the night before.

I looked up Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place, which seem to be the most popular hotels talked about on this forum as great places to stay. They are already booked for Jan. 3.

We just booked this cruise today, so now I'm panicking because we don't have a decent hotel. Help! Please! It's going to be kind of stressful not knowing the area and trying to get from airport to hotel to port. A friend also to me Ft. Lauderdale is not a very nice city and the people that drive taxi's and shuttles are pretty rude.

No worries the airport is very close to the port. try looking at some of the hotels around the airport. Last month we stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport on 12th ave. not a whole lot there but was a neat sports bar called Slackers across the street which we enjoyed very much.

The also have a shuttle to the port for a small fee........and free breakfast. We would definitely stay there again.

Coming back the cheapest thing to do is just grab a cab to the airport. You will not have any problems......

Look here:

http://www.lastminutetravel.com

There are lots of hotels avaliable for your date. The first one listed is 3.5* for $162 and it is the Doubletree and has green bedspreads if you look at the pictures. If you call they will take a few dollars off that price.

Don't believe what you have heard. Ft Lauderdale is a wonderful city!

I appreciate the recommendation GTO-girl!

Edit: darn, it's booked!

Go on http://www.tripadvisor.com and do a search for Fort lauderdale hotels and look for those either around the airport or the 17th street area. I have only been to FLL twice so I can't remember all the chains.

Also check http://www.stay123.com

If that doesn't work Royalcruz (Sharon) our local expert will be on the boards soon and she can tell you everything you need to know....

Hope this helps!

Also in the same neighborhood as Embassy and Hyatt Place are Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Extended Stay 17th St, Renaissance, and Hilton Marina. Or book Doubletree Gallery One per Marie51's advice. These hotels are all in very low-crime neighborhoods.

The taxi rides that you are taking are very short so don't worry if the driver is rude...you'll be done with them soon enough. Expect to pay about $15 FLL to 17th St (about $10 to port from there), $25 FLL to Doubletree(about $20 to port from there), about $15 from port to FLL. It can all run a little more in traffic.

I've lived in the city for 25 yrs and it is a very nice place to live. Just don't expect southern hospitality, as people here are from everywhere in the world with different customs and social behaviors. :)

Check LaQuinta FLL Airport using the Promo Code: H O M E D L without the spaces.

Also check the Hampton Inn-Plantation since they have both an airport shuttle and a port shuttle.

Thanks everyone. I went with La Quinta. It came to $176.00 after taxes. It looks like a decent place!

Within reasonable walking distance into Oakwood Plaza Mall is Red Lobster, Sweet Tomatoes, Sal's Italian Ristorante, TGIFriday's, Dave and Buster's, Wendy's, Hollywood Ale House and the Moonlite Diner. A little farther away is K-Mart where you can get you last minute supplies and even a decent selection of popular wines.

Edited by Florissouri