Luggage transfer question

alipali

We have flights booked with r/c. Flying from Newcastle upon Tyne-Heathrow-Miami overnight stay in Miami. Following morning Miami-San Juan. Our flights are with Flybe, American Airlines, American Airlines.

Return San Juan-New York-Heathrow-Newcastle upon Tyne no overnight stay, flights with American Airlines, Ba, Flybe. What happens with the luggage? Please forgive my ignorance never flown multiple airlines before.

The question is two fold. First, you will have to claim your bags in Miami to clear Customs. If you are staying overnight, I would probably keep them, and check them the next day. But, if you don't, there should be someone present after Customs to re-check to San Juan.

Second, between airlines is all about interline agreements. Most airlines will interline the bags- that is, give them to the other involved airline. I don't know anything about Flybe, but most low cost airlines don't interline.

Is the Flybe flight a codeshare with BA? On the way to San Juan how long is your layover in Miami?

Most likely Flybe will be able to tag your bags all the way through to San Juan. When you get to Miami, you will go through immigration, then baggage claim, then customs. After that, there will be a place to drop your already tagged bags back off. Note if your layover here is more than 12 hours Flybe may only be able to tag your bags to MIA, in that case you would have to get your bags retagged here.

On the return, AA will tag your bags all the way through to Newcastle and you won't see them again until there.

Thank you people. My main concern is flybe ex Newcastle- Heathrow about one and a half hours between flights no time to collect then check in luggage The rest of the family reassure me that it is checked in all the way but what do they know lol I don't know but Ithought flybe had some sort of tie in with ba but now not so sure.

Hmmm, there seems to be some confusion in the OP's message, which mentions Heathrow and Flybe.

As I recall Flybe are on the Newcastle-Gatwick route, it is BA that fly the Newcastle-Heathrow route.

Yes you are right terry2 thank you what a dummy I am. I was a bit confused because the flight codes are all aa for whatever reason. Message to myself check I have got things right before posting

So are you flying BA to LHR? If so, then no worries on checking through as BA will definitely check all the way through to AA. If it's Flybe to LGW, then the bags will only be tagged to LGW and you'll have to retrieve your bags and then recheck in at LHR with AA (hope you've got at least 4 hours for this connection).