Cost Cutting in full Swing

jayisgerman

For taking the mats, being made to put them back is sufficient, I think. But on one of my cruises, a group of teenagers carved their names in the elevator button panels. That was an offense worthy of being put off at the next port.

Mischief, taking the mats, is one thing. Destruction is another.

HAL is definitely on the cheap train. Now serving Andre bubbly (cheapest in the World) and Tisdale white and red (what's a Tisdale?) (not good, BTW) for their events. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. Food is poor quality, dressed in thick sauces to disguise the cheap meat and fish. Their so-called environmental sensitivity is a mask for cost cutting. Just returned from 28 days on Oosterdam and the on-board experience was not stellar.

Food is poor quality, dressed in thick sauces to disguise the cheap meat and fish.

I spent a week on the Westerdam the first week this month - I have to say that the meat and fish we were served in the MDR were very good. The prime rib was some of the best I've had (and served med-rare as ordered). The Filet was tender and the fish fresh and cooked nicely.:) The rest of the menu items were cooked well.

I'm sorry your ship provided you such a poor experience.:(

Originally Posted by whogo View Post

As teen pranks go, this one seems pretty harmless. I don't know the extenuating circumstances, but hope they did not end up with a 10 year sentence in a Haitian prison.

Posted by cruz chic

Really? Why do they need to do that? You sound like someone that might be used to making excuses for others.

"Really ?", indeed. About as harmless a teenage prank as possible. I was hoping the next line said that they also had other days and were switching them out randomly. Did not think she was making excuses, but even if so, in this case I'm on their side, but a bit disappointed they were not creative enough to switch them out. Kids these days just seem to have lost their creativity :D

Maybe some of you just need to unbunch your panties, and see a bit of harmless fun for what it is.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

Originally Posted by whogo View Post

As teen pranks go, this one seems pretty harmless. I don't know the extenuating circumstances, but hope they did not end up with a 10 year sentence in a Haitian prison.

Posted by cruz chic

Really? Why do they need to do that? You sound like someone that might be used to making excuses for others.

"Really ?", indeed. About as harmless a teenage prank as possible. I was hoping the next line said that they also had other days and were switching them out randomly. Did not think she was making excuses, but even if so, in this case I'm on their side, but a bit disappointed they were not creative enough to switch them out. Kids these days just seem to have lost their creativity :D

Maybe some of you just need to unbunch your panties, and see a bit of harmless fun for what it is.

I'm sorry you see making extra work for the crew as funny. That's really, really sad. Time to update my ignore list.

Edited by cruz chic

For taking the mats, being made to put them back is sufficient, I think.

Nope. That just makes it even. Not a great lesson for kids who are still developing judgment.

There have to be consequences for the teens. At the very least, they should be confined to their cabin for a period of not less than24 hours.

For taking the mats, being made to put them back is sufficient, I think. But on one of my cruises, a group of teenagers carved their names in the elevator button panels. That was an offense worthy of being put off at the next port.

Mischief, taking the mats, is one thing. Destruction is another.

Agree here. There is a big difference between a harmless kids prank vs. the destruction of property or setting some sort of booby trap that could possibly cause injury.

So, the take-away for the teens should be "It's ok to take things that don't belong to you"?

Nope. That just makes it even. Not a great lesson for kids who are still developing judgment.

There have to be consequences for the teens. At the very least, they should be confined to their cabin for a period of not less than24 hours.

Why should there be consequences for anything? It's all just fun after all:rolleyes:.

Almost all fish on cruise ships is frozen with very rare exceptions.

My head really knows this, and I eat a lot of fish when on board, but somehow seeing it in print makes it feel unappetizing. I'll still eat it anyway, because it's healthier than some of the other choices.When Innlady was talking about freezing her fresh lobsters to eat at another time, I wanted to shout out that she should freeze something else and eat those yummy lobsters before freezing them.

Edited by mamaofami

Why should there be consequences for anything? It's all just fun after all:rolleyes:.

Gee, with such a crisis outlook about this trivial thing, I'm shocked that you would even allow yourself to type the word "fun". ;). The mats were left in their cabin. I would have a different opinion if they had stolen them, or thrown them overboard, or in some manner damaged them.

But then again, maybe a good keel hauling would set them straight.

No harm, no foul. Adios on this for me.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

My head really knows this, and I eat a lot of fish when on board, but somehow seeing it in print makes it feel unappetizing. I'll still eat it anyway, because it's healthier than some of the other choices.When Innlady was talking about freezing her fresh lobsters to eat at another time, I wanted to shout out that she should freeze something else and eat those yummy lobsters before freezing them.

I have never found the lobster on HAL ships to be all that great, although it is sometimes quite nice, however, on our recent Rotterdam cruise, having found the MDR food to be as good as on any previous cruise, the exception was the lobster, which was really very unpleasant (the steak was good though!).

I've stopped eating the lobster on board, but I do eat lots of the always available salmon. Lately, when I buy salmon at home, I have it cut into individual portions and freeze it. It doesn't affect the taste at all. Now, I wonder what kind of salmon HAL uses.

It must be the ship you was on.We just got off of the Eurodam and there was no cut back there,in fact we got more than we planned for.Had a wonderful time and the best food I have ever had on a cruise and that includes the buffett.

Gee, with such a crisis outlook about this trivial thing, I'm shocked that you would even allow yourself to type the word "fun". ;). The mats were left in their cabin. I would have a different opinion if they had stolen them, or thrown them overboard, or in some manner damaged them.

But then again, maybe a good keel hauling would set them straight.

No harm, no foul. Adios on this for me.

I don't think it harmless or of no consequence that selfish, bratty teens think it okay to remove the mats and deny others the opportunity to enjoy seeing them as they enter the elevator. They have been placed there for a nice novelty for guests and when removed, someone's pleasure is reduced. Crew had to spend time searching for and retrieving them.

I've stopped eating the lobster on board, but I do eat lots of the always available salmon. Lately, when I buy salmon at home, I have it cut into individual portions and freeze it. It doesn't affect the taste at all. Now, I wonder what kind of salmon HAL uses.

A big Ditto for me.

I eat lots of the always available salmon and usually enjoy it more than the other fish offerings on the menu. I've found they coat so many of the 'white' fish with bread crumbs and load with butter, neither of which I want to eat.

They grill the salmon nicely. I like it. :)

Carol...I hate to freeze the lobsters but we bought a $107 beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner yesterday...so I don't have much choice! On the other hand, we may have them Thursday for dinner.

That beef tenderloin sounds delicious. Whatever you eat, enjoy it. Maybe a midnight snack on Wednesday of lobster. I finally found a restaurant in Newark that served me a steamed 2 pound male lobster that was wonderful.I will be returning there.

Speaking of bratty kids, reminds me of a recent mystery. We have had the experience before, on Visa ships during school holidays, of kids thinking it is fun to remove or swap the 'do not disturb' cards on cabin doors or breakfast order cards, (annoying). However, recently on the Rotterdam, our 'do not disturb' card disappeared about six or seven times. We had to ask our steward for a new one each time. Now I can understand some selfish person stealing one to replace their missing card, but seven times in one 21day cruise! There were no kids around, bratty or otherwise. Bratty adults? Kleptomaniacs? :confused:

The mats were left in their cabin. I would have a different opinion if they had stolen them, ....

Er, taking something that doesn't belong to you (the mats), without the owner's (HAL) knowledge or consent, and keeping them in your (the teens) possession (the cabin), IS the very definition of stealing. :rolleyes: