Emily and the CB(Caribbean Princess) on 7/17

matward

I posted this under my post as the CP which of course is wrong so I tried again under a new thread so anyone involved will know what I am talking about. Sorry for the screw up!:p

All CB's going west(?) this weekend will now know that Emily has become a Hurricane.:( At this point it all depends on where she goes and how fast. My guess is that it will go just south of Jamaica which is not good. My understanding of Hurricanes(which is not much) is that the worst place to be is just north of the eye. Still too early to tell. I think we all need to hope that Emily continues on her westward track as long as possible and stays south of all our ports of call.

If not, two factors come into play:

1) How much damage does Emily leave behind and

2) How fast does she clear the area

If she moves fast enough, we could follow her at about a 2 days lag and if there is not too much damage, we still could make our western trip.

Question is this:

1) Would you all like to follow Emily and deal with what she leaves behind?

2) Would you all like to just do the Eastern route and not worry about it?

I would like to hear your thoughts....

Matward

We would rather do the eastern route if some damage to the ports in the Western Caribbean happen. We did the Eastern Caribbean last year and enjoyed it very much. Hope people in the line of this hurricane are safe.

Jackie and Maggie

Actually, with hurricanes, it's not really the "northern edge" that's the most dangerous. Hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise with the worst of the winds and rain on the northerly and/or westerly side. Any land to the East of a hurricane in the Caribbean will be affected.

It looks as though Emily is going to head through the Caribbean on a northwesterly direction, hitting the Yucatan Peninsula. http://skeetobite.com/weather/maps/MAL052005_15.gif. So, don't be surprised if you go on an Eastern Caribbean cruise instead of Western.

Archived