Help on Tane Charters, Raiatea and Marc's Huahine

RayL

Has anyone done a sunset cruise with Tane on Raiatea or a Marc's moto picnic on Huahine.

My wife has just had an op and has a dicky knee which may or may not be a problem.

How do you access the boat?

Do you see any problems?

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Ray

I took Marc's Huahine tour. The boat is a 12 person power outrigger canoe. You board initially at a dock, shouldn't be a problem with a helping hand. You make a stop at a pearl farm boutique, again at a dock. The snorkeling might be a problem since you just jump off the side of the boat, and you climb back in via a metal (and often slippery!) ladder. You stop for lunch at a motu, just climbing off the side of the boat into the shallow water and wade in a few feet. Again, with a helping hand, it shouldn't be a major problem. They also stop at a shark feeding viewing location, essentially a floating dock. If you can manage a ladder you can get in the water with the sharks and watch it up close, otherwise you can stay on the platform and watch from above.

Hopefully none of that will pose a serious obstacle for your wife. I do highly recommend this tour, it was one of the best I've had in French Polynesia.

JulieMac

JulieMac,

Thanks for the info, We are not snorkellers do you think we will still enjoy the tour.

Regards

Ray

I took Marc's Huahine tour. The boat is a 12 person power outrigger canoe. You board initially at a dock, shouldn't be a problem with a helping hand. You make a stop at a pearl farm boutique, again at a dock. The snorkeling might be a problem since you just jump off the side of the boat, and you climb back in via a metal (and often slippery!) ladder. You stop for lunch at a motu, just climbing off the side of the boat into the shallow water and wade in a few feet. Again, with a helping hand, it shouldn't be a major problem. They also stop at a shark feeding viewing location, essentially a floating dock. If you can manage a ladder you can get in the water with the sharks and watch it up close, otherwise you can stay on the platform and watch from above.

Hopefully none of that will pose a serious obstacle for your wife. I do highly recommend this tour, it was one of the best I've had in French Polynesia.

JulieMac

I think you would still enjoy the tour, even if you don't snorkel. That was just a small portion of the tour. If you're content to hang out on the boat for a half hour while everybody snorkels, then you will be fine. The rest of the tour is still worth it!

JulieMac

We did Marc's Motu picnic three weeks ago - it was fantastic but we are snorkelers. We didn't go to a shark feeding platform. We boarded at the dock as mentioned, then cruised for about 20 m -1/2 hour then did a snorkel for about 1/2 hour - lots of fish. We boarded and cruised another 1/2 hour, then did a drift snorkel at a coral garden, for about 1/2 hour - then went to the picnic. After the picnic it was up to the people if we wanted to head to the pearl farm - which we did - it wasn't too far from where the tender dock was. Fantastic tour, great picnic - they had plenty of food, beer, and very friendly atmosphere. If you don't mind floating about while people snorkle you'll have fun - if you snorkel, it was even better.

So it sounds like Marc plays part of his tour by ear. We are booked in Aug.

How long did the tour last?

How many were on your tour?

Does he split you up in groups?

Do you meet up with the people who did the 4x4 for the picnic?

thanks, L:) ri

It was about 6-7 hours. There were two outrigger canoes (motors) that held 10-12 people each. At the picnic area we met up with the people who had been on another tour - they came by a Bayliner type boat - but I think it was the Jet Ski tour - but it could have been the 4x4 - I'm not positive. Probabaly 26 - 30 people total at the picnic. It was a lot of fun.

we had less than half that may people when we did it! we had a total of 14 people on our trip. one of our couples did the 4 X 4, the rest of us were split between two boats. we did not do a shark or ray feeding, just a couple of snorkeling spots, which were by the way very good.

Monte (from California) - collected the money at the dock - explained the day and off we went. Actually we left about 10 minutes early. Monte did another tour (I think Jet Boats) and met up with us at the picnic.

Archived