Angry of Lancashire

moomoocow

On Sunday my husband gave me permission to book the 19 day repo in July 2014 from Rio to Miami. :D

I was exceptionally excited and immediately emailed MSC to get a quote.

I then went on a well known MSC approved website where the price was displayed at a very reasonable rate including flights which I naively assumed I would use as a guide price. The only downside was it didn't illustrate who the flights would be with. Myself and husband prefer BA for a few different reasons.

Yesterday I was dismayed to see that the cruise had increased a further £300 per person in price.

Today I was perturbed to learn that:

a) MSC UK can only book this as cruise only and can't/won't let me book flights through them and;

b) Aforementioned TA has added a further £300 onto the original Sunday price. An increase of £600 - possibly due to me having the temerity to enquire about the package they are providing. Which they haven't got back to me about despite promising to. Plus they played dumb about a MSC Club discount being applied.

All in all I'm not happy. I doubt the football I am currently watching will improve my mood.

PS For our American brethren we do not enjoy the ability to receive reductions from our TA's if cruise prices lower between booking and sail away.

That is somewhat perturbing.

Was looking at flights to Rio to, just out of interest to price up the TA from SA back to Europe. There were no direct flights from the UK to Rio which was a bit of a pain.

Saying that though, if you're flying that far you need to be flying in at least the day before and staying in a hotel the night before, or maybe 2. This should cut down on the massive need for booking flights with the cruiseline to be safe.

You would enjoy the ability to receive price reductions and various other perks if you booked with a US travel agent rather than a UK based one.

We book several of our last cruises with them as it has worked out a much better deal (RCI & Carnival).

It may be MSC though, Poesia was roughly the same price UK vs US TA's and comparing for next August Divina was actually much more expensive booking in the US than in the UK for us (believe because kids free is not an expectation there where it is normal here).

They obviously aren't ABTA so if they go bust you do not have the same protection, but as I say millions of Americans book and have no problems and neither have we (yet). It might make it cheaper and more doable for you.

Get a 'compete quote for your cruise' or google that and it may or may not help you.

Edited by NathUK

It`s that uneven playing field once again! i wonder if those who live elsewhere in Europe can book flights and cruise for this one ?

The one goal did not improve my mood .... :mad: if that was the game you were watching.

It`s that uneven playing field once again! i wonder if those who live elsewhere in Europe can book flights and cruise for this one ?

The one goal did not improve my mood .... :mad: if that was the game you were watching.

It was. I can't remember a time I felt so deflated about the team. Well I can. I think it was when Millwall beat us 5-1 or something similar and I was about 6 :rolleyes:

That is somewhat perturbing.

Was looking at flights to Rio to, just out of interest to price up the TA from SA back to Europe. There were no direct flights from the UK to Rio which was a bit of a pain.

Saying that though, if you're flying that far you need to be flying in at least the day before and staying in a hotel the night before, or maybe 2. This should cut down on the massive need for booking flights with the cruiseline to be safe.

You would enjoy the ability to receive price reductions and various other perks if you booked with a US travel agent rather than a UK based one.

We book several of our last cruises with them as it has worked out a much better deal (RCI & Carnival).

It may be MSC though, Poesia was roughly the same price UK vs US TA's and comparing for next August Divina was actually much more expensive booking in the US than in the UK for us (believe because kids free is not an expectation there where it is normal here).

They obviously aren't ABTA so if they go bust you do not have the same protection, but as I say millions of Americans book and have no problems and neither have we (yet). It might make it cheaper and more doable for you.

Get a 'compete quote for your cruise' or google that and it may or may not help you.

Hi Nath(an?)

Thanks for this. There are a couple small flies in the ointment here though.

The US TA's don't seem to want to provide a quote if the flights do not originate out of the US. Plus the ones I've looked at advise in a disclaimer that they won't book MSC for non-US citizens as they are requested not to by MSC.

All I want is to book a legitimate fly/overnight stay/cruise package for this repo (preferably from MCR) at a reasonable price. A price that doesn't go up by £600 per person when a website registers my interest. And also with someone that will recognise and apply my meagre MSC Club discount.

I can't understand why this is so difficult for me to do.......:confused:

I have to cope with mother's addiction to football so I have some sympathy for your condition.

Onto your other problem, I will refer you to my 'ways and means' department. What are your requirements MooMoo? You can email me if you prefer.

Don't be hasty - a fare that goes up by £600 can very easily come down again by more.

Relaxed of Yorkshire.

Thanks for this. There are a couple small flies in the ointment here though.

The US TA's don't seem to want to provide a quote if the flights do not originate out of the US. Plus the ones I've looked at advise in a disclaimer that they won't book MSC for non-US citizens as they are requested not to by MSC.

Oh well that is annoying. I would expect the flights were like that (but to be honest on most packages and incl MSC offering them when I've broken them down, at least within Europe, if you priced up cruise and independent flights it comes out much cheaper).

Didn't know about the non-US citizens thing with MSC though. Works with other lines, although that's not what you're trying to achieve.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.