HELP needed/ Rome to Venice transfer and Venice hotel

travelinmama

Earl is a long time poster here and is absolutely correct, that's a great idea if you are going straight to the cruise ship.

There are many, many hotels that are on canals and have water views; you are not limited to just one area. One that I have read of that gets great reviews and has its own dock is Locando Orseolo, check it out on Trip Advisor. You will find that in general,hotels in Venice are very expensive, so it pays to shop around!

Thanks again everyone. Please believe me when I say that I am in no way doubting Earl. I just wanted to confirm because I have never been there as I indicated before. And I agree, we should most definitely at least learn some basic words/phrases but unfortunately not everyone has positive experiences. I am hoping that we will -I think I will totally understand once I arrive as I often have to see things to understand them.

So, maybe I can ask for a tad more help since everyone here has been so wonderful. It sounds like we will be taking the train from Rome to Venezia Mestre. Do they announce the stops?

Then I will hire a cab and go directly to the ship. When I return from the cruise and end at the pier, I need to get to San Marco (we have decided to stay in that area). Are there water taxis and vaporettos in that area as well or do I need to walk from the pier to somewhere else to get those?..

Also, when we depart Venice I need to get back to Marco Polo airport. Does anyone have suggestions as far as the best/quickest/most direct way for that?

Thanks again everyone. Like I said I am probably worrying for nothing but I am the type of person that I like to have everything written down so I know what I'm doing.

So, maybe I can ask for a tad more help since everyone here has been so wonderful. It sounds like we will be taking the train from Rome to Venezia Mestre. Do they announce the stops?

Yes, they announce the stops. Also, the name of the station is usually prominently displayed in several places on the building and near the tracks, so you can look for it to confirm.

Then I will hire a cab and go directly to the ship. When I return from the cruise and end at the pier, I need to get to San Marco (we have decided to stay in that area). Are there water taxis and vaporettos in that area as well or do I need to walk from the pier to somewhere else to get those?..

You can get a water taxi from the port that will take you directly to San Marco (and if your hotel has the facilities, they can take you directly to it. It's a good idea to look at your hotel's website online; they will likely give you detailed instructions on how to get to the hotel by different methods and should confirm if they have a dock for water taxi. If not, you can email and ask them.

Also, when we depart Venice I need to get back to Marco Polo airport. Does anyone have suggestions as far as the best/quickest/most direct way for that?

Best, quickest and most direct way again would be water taxi. (Of course, not cheap but you are paying for the convenience.) You can ask your hotel to arrange it. They may even be able to find someone to share with you, if desired.

Thanks again everyone. Like I said I am probably worrying for nothing but I am the type of person that I like to have everything written down so I know what I'm doing.

See my answers above.