Syringes

ch27088

This might sound a little strange asking this question, but is it necessary to point out to security that I have syringes in my carry-on bag? I take medicine once a week for arthritis and will have two syringes with me. They are packaged carefully, but this is the first time I've traveled using this medicine and I don't know the protocol when traveling with syringes.

Thanks for your help! :confused:

I would save the trouble and not tell the port's security people unless they ask. Once aboard ask for a sharps container from Guest Services / the medical center.

Good advice.

If they don't ask then I won't tell. They might decide to confiscate them, then you'll be "up a creek without a paddle":rolleyes:

I would save the trouble and not tell the port's security people unless they ask. Once aboard ask for a sharps container from Guest Services / the medical center.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Won't they see it on the scanner, maybe the scanners don't pick up everything (I'm thinking).

Good advice.

If they don't ask then I won't tell. They might decide to confiscate them, then you'll be "up a creek without a paddle":rolleyes:

But I do have a prescription for it (I guess I'll have to bring the script) just in case they find it.

Thanks!

Thank you, I appreciate it. Won't they see it on the scanner, maybe the scanners don't pick up everything (I'm thinking).

THey might / might not notice it or care if they do see it.

But I do have a prescription for it (I guess I'll have to bring the script) just in case they find it.

Thanks!

For sure bring the prescription.

Always, Always, Always bring a copy of the prescription for all medications when traveling.

Sometimes just to show proof, other times in case of emergency and the emergency responders need to know your current med history and you can't respond, someone will find the scripts.

This might sound a little strange asking this question, but is it necessary to point out to security that I have syringes in my carry-on bag? I take medicine once a week for arthritis and will have two syringes with me. They are packaged carefully, but this is the first time I've traveled using this medicine and I don't know the protocol when traveling with syringes.

I have to travel with at least 4-6 Epi Pens due to a bee/wasp sting allergy. I always put this information in my notes (as a special needs) on my Carnival account and they have a sharpie container in my cabin. Thankfully, I've never had to use either on a cruise. As far security. I always put my pens in the original RX boxes and take it out of my carry-on bag and run through security in the same container as my purse. I have never had any problems at airports or cruise ports. Hope this helps.

I have to travel with at least 4-6 Epi Pens due to a bee/wasp sting allergy. I always put this information in my notes (as a special needs) on my Carnival account and they have a sharpie container in my cabin. Thankfully, I've never had to use either on a cruise. As far security. I always put my pens in the original RX boxes and take it out of my carry-on bag and run through security in the same container as my purse. I have never had any problems at airports or cruise ports. Hope this helps.

Woah...4-6 epi pens? Why so many? Are some of them old? Epi goes bad after a while and loses its potency. Old ones may not do much at all if needed.

Hi ch27088 :)

I have multiple sclerosis and have been traveling with syringes and

my own sharps container for many, many years. I bring my spent

syringes home with me and dispose from there.

However you can request a sharps container from your cabin

steward and they will dispose of them for you.

No you do not have to point out to security that you have

syringes with you in your carry-on bag; just be sure to

have the (script label) from the med along with you. That's

all you need.

:)

We always travel with syringes and diabetic insulin meds. We fly frequently, and have never, ever been questioned about the syringes. We keep them in an insulated lunch container, and just put it in the carryon.

We look like a pharmacy, with all the meds in there!

Also, the cruise ship always supplies a sharps box for disposals. Just ask your room steward when you arrive at your room.

Diabetic, so always have syringes and lancets and insulin pump supplies. I keep a plastic water or coke bottle for the used ones any time I travel.

They make travel sharps containers> Please don't put the health and safety of others in danger.

Woah...4-6 epi pens? Why so many? Are some of them old? Epi goes bad after a while and loses its potency. Old ones may not do much at all if needed.

2 shots per sting are recommended, so in warmer climate (and out of the country) the doctor recommends 2-3 doses x 2. Yes, they are all dated differently. Scariest moment of my life was when I was stung and didn't have a pen close by. I couldn't believe how fast my throat could swell shut. :eek:

They make travel sharps containers> Please don't put the health and safety of others in danger.

Using a see through plastic bottle is an acceptable method in the event of not having a proper sharps box. Also, remember that the needles have a thick plastic sheath, they arent going to burst through the plastic and injure anyone. Besides, im guessing that the poster transfers the sharps from a plastic bottle to a proper sharps bin at the first opportunity. I have jad to do this on a few occasions (when I fully click closed my box by mistake, having to inject in the car in a traffic jam etc).

I'm glad that people aren't pulled up at the airport, i was worried about that and having to explain everything with every man and his dog listening in :D