Can you recommend a restaurant in French Quarter N.O

lovescarborough

We will be in New Orleans in March for a couple of nights just before our cruise staying at Maison DuPuy in the French Quarter. As it's my husbands 70th birthday then,I would like to take him out for a really nice meal but really have no idea where to start as we have never been here before. Any suggestions please. He likes his steaks etc but won't eat really spicy stuff! Thanks for your help.

Crescent city brew house. It is right on Decatur and has excellent food. Depending on your opinion of fine dining it may not qualify because they don't use tablecloths. (Just a dig at the current debates in the carnival forum)

I like Crescent City Brew House too (excellent microbrewery, if you like beer) but it is pretty informal.

Best steak (in my opinion) is at:

http://www.dickiebrennanssteakhouse.com

My wife and I usually split one.

Another good choice would be:

http://www.muriels.com

Both are within walking diatnce of your hotel

We've been to NO many times and it is hard to find a bad restaurant. I like Crescent City Brew Pub, but it is casual.

One of our favorites is Galatoire's. It's one of the long established fine restaurants located on Bourbon St. But don't be turned off by the location. Once you're in it is elegant and old world with a menu that is eclectic and reminiscent of days gone by. The waiters have been there forever and can help you with your choices. This is where the locals dine and you dress appropriately.

Acme Oyster house, Nola's ( Emeril Lagassei ), Red Fish Grill ... You can get a good steak just about anywhere in the country. These places are very unique to New Orleans. During the day why not have a muffuletta sandwich at Central Market and then go to the world famous Cafe Du Monde for Beignets and coffee. :)

We've been to NO many times and it is hard to find a bad restaurant. I like Crescent City Brew Pub, but it is casual.

I know it is, I was making a joke regarding the dining changes Carnival is making.

There are too many places to eat in New Orleans, and usually when you find a place you love, you make every attempt to eat there again and that means you try fewer places!

One of our favorites is Galatoire's. It's one of the long established fine restaurants located on Bourbon St. But don't be turned off by the location. Once you're in it is elegant and old world with a menu that is eclectic and reminiscent of days gone by. The waiters have been there forever and can help you with your choices. This is where the locals dine and you dress appropriately.

Galatoire's is our absolute favorite. Amazing food. :)

LuLu

~~~

• 3 weeks later...

Whether it's in the French Quarter or not, Commander's Palace is an icon.

We loved Byanna's. (sp? ) Is it still there? I got the sense that it was one of those little secrets that the locals didn't like to share.

Emeril's flagship is also in NO but I don't think it's in the French Quarter. I also wasn't all that impressed.

While Ruth Chris is a fine steakhouse it's also a national chain & you can probably dine in one close to home. IMO, in certain food cities, like NO, NYC, LA, Chicago & Miami it's a sin to eat in any chain. (I have learned to forgive DH because heaven knows the man is incapable of passing a Dunkin' Donuts without getting a coffee but that's the only exception. :p)

Whether it's in the French Quarter or not, Commander's Palace is an icon.

We loved Byanna's. (sp? ) Is it still there? I got the sense that it was one of those little secrets that the locals didn't like to share.

Emeril's flagship is also in NO but I don't think it's in the French Quarter. I also wasn't all that impressed.

While Ruth Chris is a fine steakhouse it's also a national chain & you can probably dine in one close to home. IMO, in certain food cities, like NO, NYC, LA, Chicago & Miami it's a sin to eat in any chain. (I have learned to forgive DH because heaven knows the man is incapable of passing a Dunkin' Donuts without getting a coffee but that's the only exception. :p)

Your very right I am amazed when people go to the cities you mentioned and look for the same places they can eat the same exact thing back home.

Your very right I am amazed when people go to the cities you mentioned and look for the same places they can eat the same exact thing back home.

The exception to this is a chain that exists in many parts of the country, but not one you live in.

For example, we'll go to Kansas City for day shopping trips about every two months. We will do the obvious Jack Stack or Arthur Bryants, but we will also throw a Cheesecake factory in once in a while because we don't have those in my area.

We do have a Copeland's, which keeps me from eating Copeland's in New Orleans though.