NCL cruise mardi gras 2015

spandance

we are going to visit new orleans to go on our cruise. We would like to also see the mardi gras parades, and stay 3 or 4 nights in advance or after the cruise. the year we will coming is either January for February 2015 ,( my daughter 40th birthday present) Can you advise best date and hotel for the visit? many thanks in advance cruisers!:)

Try to be in NOLA by Feb. 13th and cruise on Sunday the 15 th 2015. As for hotels we like JW Marriott, Intercontinental and Wyndham Whitney.

Most hotels have a 4 and 5 day minimum for the weekend of Mardi Gras. There are plenty of parades the weekend prior. Personally if you have never been then Feb 14/15, 2015 will be completely overwhelming, not to mention trying to get a taxi to take you to the cruise terminal will be difficult.

I would plan on going the weekend prior, there will still be plenty of festivities and parades, but not crushing crowds and traffic jams. Here is the 2014 schedule, so look at how many parades are Feb 21/22/23.

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

• 3 weeks later...

Just something to keep in mind when booking a cruise the week of Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday, always on a Tuesday). The cruises that leave from New Orleans that weekend right before Mardi Gras Day will be loaded with local kids, teens and families because all of the area schools (both Northshore and Southshore of New Orleans) have off the entire week. Our family has actually taken Mardi Gras cruises several times, along with many other families we know. Just something to consider. Also, if the price for the cruise is higher for that one week, that is why. There is a high local demand and the cruise lines figured that out years ago.

Thanks for the advice! Didn't know the schools were out too. I was there 1983 to 1989 and didn't remember that but....I was young, in the Navy, without kids. My wife and I have decided to go the following weekend. We should be able to get good rates and see the city without the crowds.

• 4 weeks later...
I am also looking. Anyone ever get a hotel in downtown for just Friday and Saturday before the cruise on Mardi Gras weekend? We can't go the week before.

Try hotels that are in the Central Business District. Some of them do not insist on the 4 night minimum. While the Wyndam Whitney is a nice choice as it is on the parade route by the grandstands at Lafayette Park they insist on 4 nights. We settled on the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Centre and they do not have a minimum stay requirement during Mardi Gras. The parades go nearby anyway. The parades don't go into the French Quarter and originate miles out. From there you can walk to the French Quarter in about 15-20 minutes or take the streetcar along the Mississippi which keeps running because the parades do not go there.

• 3 weeks later...