Just back from the Summit, 12/7/2013 Southern Caribbean

Ron_L

No problem. I just got the friend request today. Only one more day of work to suffer through before cruising this Saturday! Let me know if there's anything specific you want to see pictures of! I'll be happy to post! Thank you!

Nothing that I can specifically think of. Have wonderful trip! Actually, can you get a picture of the main pool deck? I can't wait for your review!

First, we sailed Celebrity last April, did the drink package thing, saved about $200. More convenient to pay ahead, then pay later. You can find out more by visiting Celebrity`s website.

Second, to each their own on formal nights. Some men wear tuxedos, some wear suit/ties. Some ladies wear formals, some wear nice dresses.

And some don`t even dress up, it`s basically for those eating I believe.

So, is the 123 go! Promo I just enter myself? Thanks for letting me know about the formal nights. That seems the same as Royal Caribbean. I like the formal nights but didn't want to look ridiculous being the only ones dressed up. :o

Edited by BlondeNSgirl

So, is the 123 go! Promo I just enter myself? Thanks for letting me know about the formal nights. That seems the same as Royal Caribbean. I like the formal nights but didn't want to look ridiculous being the only ones dressed up. :o

The 1,2,3 Promo is for oceanview cabins or higher, I think I read you are in an interior cabin.

Yes, I am, my inlaws have a balcony so I will let them know about this promo.

You might want to look at upgrading to an oceanview, on most dates it's only $50 more pp and even if you don't drink beer, wine or alcohol, the savings on sodas, coffees, waters would likely be worthwhile.

That being said. If I had an infant or young child I would absolutely take a balcony. Once child is sleeping at night or even having an afternoon nap, I'd be outside on my balcony enjoying the air and ocean and sipping my 123 promo beverage :D. There is still time to change.

The railings are high and you can lock the door. I would not be worried. I didn't cruise when my child was that age but certainly stayed in many, many hotels with balcony and never had a problem. In fact we always looked for hotels with balconies. When my dear son woke up early, he and I could read or play on the balcony while my husband slept a little longer.

You might want to look at upgrading to an oceanview, on most dates it's only $50 more pp and even if you don't drink beer, wine or alcohol, the savings on sodas, coffees, waters would likely be worthwhile.

That being said. If I had an infant or young child I would absolutely take a balcony. Once child is sleeping at night or even having an afternoon nap, I'd be outside on my balcony enjoying the air and ocean and sipping my 123 promo beverage :D. There is still time to change.

The railings are high and you can lock the door. I would not be worried. I didn't cruise when my child was that age but certainly stayed in many, many hotels with balcony and never had a problem. In fact we always looked for hotels with balconies. When my dear son woke up early, he and I could read or play on the balcony while my husband slept a little longer.

Hi! We debated that, but, the balcony with an almost 2 year old did concern me and at 10 months now she is already a climber. My in laws are right across from us. The plan was for when we put her down for nap or bed that we would go to inlaws room. We will have her monitor on for when we do this. This way don't have to stay in room while she sleeps.

If we weren't sailing with my inlaws I would probably consider your suggestion. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by BlondeNSgirl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ron. I am just getting back to looking at this review, after reading your excellent posts about Levi Baron's tour. I do have a question about that: I wear glasses, and unfortunately can't see much unless it's right in front of me. At Champagne Reef, were there any folks on your tour that wore glasses, and did you get any feedback as to whether they could see anything much? Also, I guess you just leave things on the rocks, but Levi mentioned that "guides" had a bag we could put things in. I was thinking that Levi himself (or someone else he hired) would be with us at Champagne, so we'd just leave stuff on the rocks. Did you see any evidence of a guide with a bag? I have no problem with leaving an old pair of glasses (not my most recent ones) on the rocks, but after that point, is there much to navigate without them - the rubber mat, for example?

Also, I went looking in this excellent review to see if you had pictures from Dominica. There were SO many posts that I kind of gave up. I'm only a few days away from leaving for San Juan, and I'm starting to feel I need to turn this computer OFF and start pulling clothes and other stuff....SO, were you able to post your Dominica pictures here, and if so, approximately how far into the thread would they be?

Thanks for your great info, pics, and help!!

Hi Ron. I am just getting back to looking at this review, after reading your excellent posts about Levi Baron's tour. I do have a question about that: I wear glasses, and unfortunately can't see much unless it's right in front of me. At Champagne Reef, were there any folks on your tour that wore glasses, and did you get any feedback as to whether they could see anything much? Also, I guess you just leave things on the rocks, but Levi mentioned that "guides" had a bag we could put things in. I was thinking that Levi himself (or someone else he hired) would be with us at Champagne, so we'd just leave stuff on the rocks. Did you see any evidence of a guide with a bag? I have no problem with leaving an old pair of glasses (not my most recent ones) on the rocks, but after that point, is there much to navigate without them - the rubber mat, for example?

Also, I went looking in this excellent review to see if you had pictures from Dominica. There were SO many posts that I kind of gave up. I'm only a few days away from leaving for San Juan, and I'm starting to feel I need to turn this computer OFF and start pulling clothes and other stuff....SO, were you able to post your Dominica pictures here, and if so, approximately how far into the thread would they be?

Thanks for your great info, pics, and help!!

Hi Roothy! Thanks for the kind words.

All of my pictures from Dominica are here...

That's easier than wading through the thread :)

I don't remember anyone specifically with a bag, but anything that is valuable can be left in the van and it will be locked. Other stuff it left on the rocks and can be put into the bags that the snorkel gear came in. There were a few groups there and there were quite a few guides all around. Levi did go snorkeling with us and took us around the reef and dove down to show us different fish, coral, etc.

As far as being able to see, I wear glasses, but I'm not too bad with out them and I had no problems. You could look at adding a corrective lens to a mask. You can get ones that stick onto a regular mask. I think they are around $40 - $50. Not cheap, but not as bad as a custom prescription mask.

Once you get to the point where you would set your stuff down you would have to go across 10 feet or so of dirt and rocks, and then another 10 feet or so of the black mat.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the excellent review with photos. Very well done, and detailed. My fiancee and I will be sailing the same ship and itinerary Nov. 22, 2014 for our honeymoon. We can not wait.

Thank you! Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy the honeymoon cruise!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
While we were eating they announced that the cabins were ready (around 1:00pm) so we went down to check out our cabin and drop off our carry on bags. We booked cabin 3112, which is one of the new OV cabins that were added when the Summit went through Solticization (is that right?). This bank of cabins have larger windows and because of the layout 3112 is a little larger than the rest. The door is perpendicular to the hull rather than parallel to it. The deck plans don't show this so I modified that area to show the configuration...

Summit3112_zpsceb81bf8.jpg

The cabin was very nice. We enjoyed the location and it was generally quiet. There was a banging noise during the day when we were at the dock in San Juan and St. Croix, but it was very windy those days, and the dock was on that side of the ship, so it was most likely something using during docking that was swinging in the wind. Overall the cabin was smaller than the cabins that we have had in the past on Carnival ships, but there enough room for us and our stuff. Here are some pictures of the cabin...

11413554884_98644d952f_b.jpg

PC070218 by rclewen, on Flickr

11413670953_9ddbb8a6e6_b.jpg

PC070219 by rclewen, on Flickr

11413538936_89691f2178_b.jpg

PC070220 by rclewen, on Flickr

11413535535_8d288a8aaa_b.jpg

PC070221 by rclewen, on Flickr

thank you for posting those pictures. We will be in this cabin when we sail on the Summit in July 2016 :)