Does Cruise also allow carry on luggage

vibration

:eek: Are you really trying to take a cruise with only what the airline will allow for carry on things? That would be a huge challenge to me.

LuLu

~~~~

Perhaps to you, but many of us do it.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Our first cruise, Dec 22 on Carnival Freedom. We may just have carry on luggages. Can we just carry them with us or I need to put tag on and leave at check in? Thanks.

How did it turn out? Did you make your ship, and did you carry on?

@ Sandy Sails

How can you take enough in a carry-on when they have to be 3-oz and fit in a quartz size ziplock?

A quart bag holds a lot of 1-to-2oz vials. Only take the full 3 oz bottles if you will need it! My husband and I share most toiletries as I have short, barber-cut hair so that helps. I also just found out that the gel prescription medication DH uses (a tube a day!) does NOT have to fit in the 3-1-1 bag which will give me lots of breathing room in the future.

In two quart bags I took:

- 3oz shampoo

- 2x travel size antiperspirant

- 2oz toothpaste (not the smallest size)

- 3oz listerine

- 2x 1oz insect repellant

- 1 "after-bite" stick

- 1oz benadryl cream

- 3oz ZnOxide sun-block spray

- lip balm (sun-blocking)

- sm.tube Anbesol

- sm.tube camphophenique

- tiny vial tobramycin eye drops

- 1oz? antibiotic salve

- 3oz cortaid

- 2oz Lamisil balm

- 2oz cocoabutter lotion

- 1oz body lotion (inadvertent duplicate with the cocoabutter)

- sample sizes of foot cream, eucerin intensive, body-glide

plus 14 small tubes of DH's medication!

Additionally, for the cabin, I fit these in:

- travel pack of Clorox wipes -- these are bulky!

- 1oz screen cleaner to clean the balcony glass with

- 1 oz each vanilla and coconut extracts

In the future I would leave out the listerine (instead bring fastfood packets of salt in the "dry bag" for my gum health campaign), the clorox wipes (turns out we are not that paranoid about dirtiness of the cabin!), and the extracts which I brought for rum drinks but didn't use. But I would substitute cough suppressant for the listerine as I had to buy it ($$) on the ship.

I am not suggesting this is a universal list, because several items are specific to us and skin conditions we are coping with. It is just to show how much can be fit in a quart bag (or two if you travel as a couple).

Edited by crystalspin

I find it's not the clothes that take up all the room, it's the liquid items, etc. How can you take enough in a carry-on when they have to be 3-oz and fit in a quartz size ziplock? Ducklite, let me know.

Travel sizes, not everything has to be 3 oz. I could not possibly use 3 oz. of shampoo or conditioner in a weeks time, it's enough for a month for me. I think some people pour the stuff right onto their head when they shampoo. Shampoo only your scalp, condition only the ends, it works and you only need a few drops of either. Facial moisturizer or cleanser, less than an ounce is needed for a week or two. Sample sizes collected through the year work great. Toothpaste, we each bring a sample size tube we get from the dentist, plenty for a couple weeks. Switch to powder wherever you can, reduce the amount of toiletries you need to take (I use the same facial moisturizer and cleanser for the week, not separate items for day and night).

Although I don't travel with carry on only, I find the liquid part simple.

What about beach bag items? My beach bag is HUGE, filled with suntan lotions of different spfs. I guess we could buy it on the ship but it costs more.

Great ideas for the 3 oz items - thanks!

If you arrive the day before, just buy it in a local drug store, grocery store, Walmart, Target, etc. Even if you arrive the day of, you might have time. Have the cab or car service or whatever stop at a nearby drug store. Run in and buy the stuff and continue on.

What about beach bag items? My beach bag is HUGE, filled with suntan lotions of different spfs. I guess we could buy it on the ship but it costs more.

Last April, I went to CVS and purchased a bottle of sunscreen for 12.99 plus tax. It was amusing (to me) to find that same exact bottle of sunscreen onboard the ship for $13.00.

Sometimes, I think we all worry and plan too much ;)

I find it's not the clothes that take up all the room, it's the liquid items, etc. How can you take enough in a carry-on when they have to be 3-oz and fit in a quartz size ziplock? Ducklite, let me know.

On my last few cruises the toiletries have been either the H2O spa line or L'Occitane brand, so I don't bring along shampoo, conditioner, or shower gel, and only a small hand cream to use until I get there.

My 3-1-1 bag contains the following:

.85 oz face wash

2 oz All for hand washing my delicates (if I'm tight in room I'll omit this and use shampoo)

1.7 oz face cream

1.5 oz hair spray (this lasts me 1.5 weeks or so, on a longer trip I'll buy more locally)

.17 oz eye makeup remover (I bring a packet of make up remover wipes and this is for little bits I might miss with the wipe.)

2 oz hair creme

1 oz hand cream

Travel size toothpaste (one tube lasts me 7-10 days, so for a longer trip, I bring 2-3 tubes)

.15 oz Yankee Candle spray air freshened (this is a great little product which takes no space and is super concentrated, you only need one spray)

1.5 oz body oil

3 oz sunscreen (I buy more there if I need it)

If I have room, I also include a 1 oz bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release.

No need for different SPF's. Buy 30 and stick to it. A friend of mine sells sunscreen for a living and says that the key is to reapply frequently, wear UV protective clothing, and that SPF 50 is no more effective than 30.