Jinek Bay in Lifou marine reserve pass

Bronika

We have just come back from a RCI cruise and there was no mention of snorkelling at Jinek as it is your own arrangements. There was a $15 AUD charge per person and they gave you a wristband. We went early in the morning when it was a bit quieter so I'm not sure if there was an enforced time limit or passenger limit.

There was a sign to the side though whiff appears to indicate that Carnival offers this as a short excursion, and that tickets must be purchased on the ship and clearly states you are unable to purchase tickets at Jinek.

I would strongly recommend if this is something you want to do and the shop offers it as a shore excursion, to book your tickets through the ship.

It seems that they have an agreement with the cruise line that if the cruise line offers this as an excursion, the locals won't offer admission independently for that cruise.

Definitely worth the admission fee, amazing snorkelling but you do need to be careful as there is some pretty large corals.

Hi LuckiePuris

I appreciate this thread is a little old but hope you may see this and be able to respond :-)

I came across it searching for similar information as we are visiting Lifou with Celebrity Solstice next year (think by your signature we are on the same cruise!). So assume per your info for your last RCI cruise that we just 'show up' at Jinek Bay with AUD$15 each to pay the local guide sitting at the entrance?

The 100 person limit seems very small (I appreciate why - but just in comparison to the number of visitors coming off the ship!) so is there a mad rush to get there when there is nothing pre-booked via the ships excursions?

Also is there a safe place to put a bag with stuff we don't want to take into the water (towels, water, sunnies etc)? Of course that doesn't include any valuables :p

Hi QE2,

I'm wondering if you are on the same cruise as us? Solstice 22nd March 2015?

We visited Jinek bay for the 2nd time a few months back now & looking forward to it again. It's some of the best snorkelling in the Pacific & I'm a scuba diver so I've seen some great places throughout the Pacific & it's right up there!

Best to go snorkelling early in the day before it gets congested with too many people as it can get crowded & the visibility is better as not so many people stirring up the sand etc.

We always take one of the first tenders across & go straight to the bay - easy walk.

We find the area to the left of the steps facing the ocean is the best, you can swim out quite a way & some of the nicer stuff is away from the shore because it hasn't been trodden on by people that don't respect the reef.

Take your own snorkel gear as it's way better than the rental gear plus hygiene is something to consider.

I never saw them stopping people at 100, but later in the day they may.

As suggested, if the ship offers it then buy the ticket on board, I have only ever cruised Royal Caribbean before so not sure if Celebrity will do things differently.

Hope that is helpful.

Hi Avalon007. Yes indeed, that's the one we are on! Thanks dos the tips that's great! We have our gear and was going to take flippers also...a lot of people say reef shoes are fine but think the flippers will help move around the coral better?

We are travelling with another family and he is keen to do some scuba, but we both have not done it before so don't think we'll get the chance to learn on the trip. Maybe we should do a course at home (Melbourne) over the Summer!

See you over on our will call thread sometime, it's only a short wait for the cruise especially with Christmas in between!

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Avalon007. Yes indeed, that's the one we are on! Thanks dos the tips that's great! We have our gear and was going to take flippers also...a lot of people say reef shoes are fine but think the flippers will help move around the coral better?

We are travelling with another family and he is keen to do some scuba, but we both have not done it before so don't think we'll get the chance to learn on the trip. Maybe we should do a course at home (Melbourne) over the Summer!

See you over on our will call thread sometime, it's only a short wait for the cruise especially with Christmas in between!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

If you want to see the better parts of Jinek you need flippers, when people only wear reef shoes they often tend to have less mobility in the water so stay close to shore & end up standing on the coral, which destroys it for future generations.

Regards scuba, no time to learn on a cruise, you would be best to do a proper course at home, so you are more comfortable & also more knowledgeable - therefore safer doing it away from home. Once you learn it you never really forget how.

We may arrange to go on a dive in Noumea or Fiji this time round, so if you learn before we go you may want to do that as well.

We did some great dives over the last year or 2 in Hawaii, Tahiti, Vanuatu - so much of the beauty of these islands is below the water.

But snorkelling is still a great way to see it as well in many places. :)

Hi Matt,

If you want to see the better parts of Jinek you need flippers, when people only wear reef shoes they often tend to have less mobility in the water so stay close to shore & end up standing on the coral, which destroys it for future generations.

Regards scuba, no time to learn on a cruise, you would be best to do a proper course at home, so you are more comfortable & also more knowledgeable - therefore safer doing it away from home. Once you learn it you never really forget how.

We may arrange to go on a dive in Noumea or Fiji this time round, so if you learn before we go you may want to do that as well.

We did some great dives over the last year or 2 in Hawaii, Tahiti, Vanuatu - so much of the beauty of these islands is below the water.

But snorkelling is still a great way to see it as well in many places. :)

Thanks again for the Great info. Will research options for scuba lessons, might be a timely Christmas present for the boys!!

We just came back from a week in Hawaii then cruise home via Tahiti on Solstice. Was an awesome trip and the snorkelling in Bora Bora particularly was stunning (aside from swimming with the reed sharks and manta rays!!). We were also advised about not to stand on the coral yet it was annoying to see people disregard this.

Cheers!

We did a similar repo cruise on Radiance last year after having done a 12 day Alaska cruise tour that ended in Vancouver where we spent a week, then got back onboard for the 10 day Hawaiian Islands cruise, then the repo. We had good snorkelling at Hanauma Bay in Honolulu out past the breakwater.

Once of the best holidays of my life!

We did some nice scuba diving in Moorea on the way & some snorkelling in Bora Bora & Papeete, but I still think Jinek is right up there.

I especially like the sea turtles, they are beautiful & there are several that hang out on Lifou just off the beach where the tenders dock that you will probably see.

Yes annoying how people don't listen regards the coral, probably the same sort of people that throw garbage out the car window!

Hope you get the chance to learn scuba, it's a whole new world further down. :)

Hi Avalon007

Been reading about your experience at Lifou which has been helpful

We will be there in a few weeks and just wondering If you could help out with a couple of questions?

Frist up I wouldn't say we are experienced snorkelers but we have done it twice at the Great Barrier Reef where they had sort off a floating rest areas just wondering if there is something similar at Lifou

And also what did you do with your possession's eg: seapass card , wallet etc while you were in the water

Thanks

Hi Chester32,

No floating rest areas in Jinek Bay last time I was there.

It is reasonably shallow so you rarely need to do more than float along the surface to view the marine life, so it isn't very tiring. Just keep away from the shore near the cliffs if the tide is coming in & you will find it easy enough to get around if you have fins on.

If you need to rest then just float or lay on your back for a short time rather than tread water.

As with all water related sports know your own limits & start your return to shore before you feel exhausted.

We leave our towel with clothing, sea pass etc wrapped inside or in a beach bag leaning against one of the trees near to where you enter the water in view of the people collecting the money.

If you get there early you can do this, but if later on it may get a bit full.

Also I never take any other credit cards or cash apart from the small amount needed for Jinek entry ($15 pp) & maybe a few dollars more.

If you intend to spend up big, you can always go back to the ship, get cleaned up then return after for shopping.

If someone did steal your stuff then the dock crew will arrange for you to get a new sea pass, but at least you wouldn't lose much else.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for that Avalon007 helps a lot will just stay out in the water well within our limits , just found it when we were at the GBR the currents were strong and it was good to have a rest point

and will do the same and just take small amount of cash

thanks again

Also, if you walk the opposite direction to Jinek you will come across another larger church & nearby locals will take you to a cave/grotto just behind it for a small fee.

But I would say that if you don't go to Jinek Bay you are really missing a spectacular highlight of the island. It's an easy access snorkel even for those that have never done it before. Try to do it if you can. :)

Edited by avalon007

If you DON'T go to Jinek Bay, what is there to do on Lifou - is there just an ordinary beach near where the tenders go? It sounds like the tours aren't great.

If you plan on just swimming at the beach near the tender wharf make sure you take reef shoes. The sand is broken shells and quite harsh on your feet.

The markets are very small.

It's an easy access snorkel even for those that have never done it before. Try to do it if you can. :)

It's more that I have kids age 6 & 8, they don't like to be out of their depth in the water (and I don't want them standing on the coral!)

I can't swim so will definitely not want to be anything past waist height.

Would it be suitable for me???? I panic big time in deep water but would love to be able to see the fish. Am bringing snorkel set to use on isle of pines as I know I will be fine there. Did I read somewhere that you have to climb down a rope ladder to enter the water???? thought I did but cant find it now.

Thanks for your help

Hi Tara,

Definitely no rope ladders! Concrete steps are how you access Jinek Bay, it very easy access nowadays.

If the tide is low you could walk around with your head in the water with your mask & snorkel on & see fish & some coral.

When you get there you will see people in the water & you will be able to see how deep it is when they are standing.

If you are Ok snorkelling on isle of Pines I think you will find Jinek ok if the tide is low. But as always in the water you have to do what you feel safe doing of course.:)

Just be careful with standing that you don't step on any of the coral, it will damage it beyond repair.

Most definitely! A good example of that is on the Isle of Pines, left side of the rock protrusion facing the sea. We snorkelled around it last time we were there starting from the right side & as you come around & approach the shore on the left, you can literally see not only the past destruction, but the current feet of those trampling it. Dead broken bleached coral everywhere. Sad.

I wish on board the cruise they would get the message across to the uninformed more strongly before the ship docks at these beautiful islands.

Keep off the coral!

But ultimately it will be up to the islanders themselves to do what has to be done to preserve the reefs from the ignorant for the future generations.

The invention of reef shoes has probably created part of the problem, because people can't feel the sharpness of the coral, they just ignore it. If you tread on the coral with no shoes on a nasty coral cut can cause an infection not forgotten in a hurry! Maybe some people need to learn the hard way. :eek: :D

I can't swim so will definitely not want to be anything past waist height.

Would it be suitable for me???? I panic big time in deep water but would love to be able to see the fish. Am bringing snorkel set to use on isle of pines as I know I will be fine there. Did I read somewhere that you have to climb down a rope ladder to enter the water???? thought I did but cant find it now.

Thanks for your help

HI Tara,

I have only been to Jinek Bay once. It was at high tide. There was a strong current and deep water. On that particular day I would have only recommended snorkelling for confident swimmers.

Jinek Bay is not far from for the tender wharf. Take a walk there,have a look at the conditions on the day and make a decision for yourself. You don't have to pay until you get on the landing at the top of the steps that lead down to the water.

Edited by aussielozzie18

• 4 months later...

Just back from our cruise and we loved loved loved our day at Jinek Bay!! Didn't find currents too strong but not sure if it was high tide or not. Had to snorkel a fair way out from the steps you enter the water to see the best coral. A lot of it sadly close to the steps is dead and been trampled on by naive swimmers. Snorkelling to the 'left' of the steps provided the best scenery. A nice surprise was the lovely area to sit and place your belongings. A stall was there where you could buy fresh coconuts, or soft drinks and s small selection of snacks.

It is AUD/USD15 pp to enter...or local francs 1000 (we had some left over from Noumea). Many were unprepared in our cruise and were very angry to be asked to 'pay to swim' in the bay. Celebrity don't offer it as an official shore excursion but so which they mentioned the setup in their newsletter so people were better informed prior arrival.

Also definitely recommend the use of flippers considering the wide area to be discovered and the various depths the coral and fish can be found.

Will definitely be heading back to Jinek next time we visit!!3eb1488cbc54590ee1a81628016d9c37.jpg

722164f3b7fa76ee52f210111cf99417.jpg

18c1738ba5ab7429532dcec380ea4bb1.jpg

3937bf10cf520ebbacd09a275369187b.jpg

3a94ffc94a279e186bdce271b3c133b6.jpg

I snorkelled in Jinek Bay last year with a P&o cruise , you had to pay the $15.00 before you left the ship there was no one taking money at Jinek they just wanted to see your prepaid pass. There was a reasonabley strong current that day I am not an experienced snorkeler . I found it difficult to navigate between the coral and the rocks without damaging the coral , for me the current was too strong on the day to be comfortable going out too far , also it was very crowded so I did not stay in the water long . As I sat people watching and waiting for hubby i noticed There were a couple of People get out that were bleeding from what looked like coral cuts .

On the other hand Mystery Island was amazing snorkelling and I saw way more colourful fish and the sea was easier to swim around in. Am not going to bother with Jinek bay this year will be happy with Mystery Island . Just make sure you snorkle early at Mystery Island as I noticed later in the day when I went back after lunch the waters had been stirred and there were not quite as many fish

I've been to Jinek Bay twice recently:

The first time was just after Christmas on a Princess cruise. It was a little windy that day but the tide was high so plenty of clearance over most of the coral. It didn't seem too crowded that day.

The second time was last month, on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The tide was lower so you had to be careful. It was more crowded and some of those in the water seemed to have no respect for the fragile environment, or for their fellow snorkellers.

Both times I paid at Jinek Bay but I did notice a sign stating that only tickets would be accepted for P&O cruises.

Both times I paid at Jinek Bay but I did notice a sign stating that only tickets would be accepted for P&O cruises.

Yeah I think it's only P&O, possibly Carnival Cruises that provide ticket sales onboard. We paid at the steps where two guys were managing sales, but can't say there were any limits on the number of people going allowed to snorkel.

I had heard of a 100 person limit over each of one morning and one afternoon session. Possibly this is a P&O applied limit in their effort to assist protect the area.

• 8 years later...