Car Rental near the pier in Cozumel - help please

caral2004

Hello,

I would like to rent a jeep or a dune buggy for our day in Cozumel (we will be on Freedom). Does anyone can help me and advice me on where I can rent a car by a walking distance from the pier ? I found some places on Internet but I would like to hear from you on a good place to rent.

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

I would like to rent a jeep or a dune buggy for our day in Cozumel (we will be on Freedom). Does anyone can help me and advice me on where I can rent a car by a walking distance from the pier ? I found some places on Internet but I would like to hear from you on a good place to rent.

Thanks a lot!

The car rental facilities are right at the pier.

And is it safe to drive in Cozumel ?

Years ago there were reports of organized scams where some local would purposely cause an accident with a rental car. The renter would be taken to the police station and be required to pay a substantial cash "fine" in order to get back on the cruise ship. Haven't heard of this lately.

Last year in March we rented a car when we came in on Navigator. There were 3 rental companies right before you walk out of the pier gates to the street. My recommendation is DO NOT use Target rental, we had three of thier cars break on us in one day and had to switch each one out, budget rental has a desk right next door and for 10 bucks more I think you will be happier with a big name rental company that would have cars in better working order.

We were just there and rented a jeep from Avis. The jeep was in good working order, a/c, etc. Total cost was $83 with tax. We had to wait a good 20 minutes after we paid and threatened to cancel if they didn't get our car in 5 minutes (after we had waited 20 when they told us 5), then suddenly the car was there. Gas was $12...we went all around the island. Turn right out of the gate and just stay on the road, it will take you to the other side of the island where there are some GREAT bars (don't miss Coconuts, $4.50 margaritas and a BEAUTIFUL view, great food too) and beautiful scenery...unspoiled beaches. Well worth the money!! There's hardly any traffic once you are out of the port area.

We were just there and rented a jeep from Avis. The jeep was in good working order, a/c, etc. Total cost was $83 with tax. We had to wait a good 20 minutes after we paid and threatened to cancel if they didn't get our car in 5 minutes (after we had waited 20 when they told us 5), then suddenly the car was there. Gas was $12...we went all around the island. Turn right out of the gate and just stay on the road, it will take you to the other side of the island where there are some GREAT bars (don't miss Coconuts, $4.50 margaritas and a BEAUTIFUL view, great food too) and beautiful scenery...unspoiled beaches. Well worth the money!! There's hardly any traffic once you are out of the port area.

Would love to hear more about your day--what other places were great. Did you have trouble parking anywhere? Do most places charge for parking? Did you snorkel? LOL Sorry for all the questions, but trying to figure out what to do here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry this took me so long to get back to the board. I can't remember the names of the other bars we went to, my recommendation is to stop, take a look at the menu and prices (they are in pesos!) the exchange rate is around 11 or 12 pesos to the dollar. It is not difficult to drive in Cozumel once you are out of the port area, it's basically a circle around the island. Very beautiful on the other side of the island. No electricity! Everything on that side is powered by generators. Enjoy your day in Cozumel, rent a car or jeep, it's fun and you can do things at your own pace!

• 1 year later...

I was in Coz on 2-10 and rented a jeep from these folks at the pier where Carnival docks. Although I paid cash for rental they required I give them an imprint of a credit card in case I should damage or not return the jeep. When I returned the jeep, they gave me the imprint. Two days later, we received a call from the ship that there was a problem with the credit card attached to our sail and sign account. After talking to my credit card company I found out that had deactivated the card due to strange charges. it seems that someone was using the card on line for various dating and florist sites. I am sure it was someone from the car rental company as I had only used that credit card for the ship account. Beware of them!

Also, I gassed up the jeep at furthest station east of town and had them scam me with the exchange rate. The sign said 13.5 pesos to the dollar but when I told the attendant I needed $10 US worth of gas the pump went up to 100 pesos and he shut it off. When I questioned him about it he acted like he did not understand me. Not enough money so I did not go further.

I have been to Coz many times before and have only had great experiences. This the first time anything like this has happened. Maybe I was lucky before!