Solstice mast modification?

bbqoug

Has anyone heard when Celebrity is planning on modifying the mast on the Solstice so it can sail under the Lions Gate Bridge?

This topic interests me because we are on the April 2014 cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver that will be the first time the Solstice sails beneath the bridge.

Yes, the necesary modifications will be applied to Solly before she leaves from DownUnder.

From what I understand, both funnels will be refitted with collapsible components near the top, and the Mast will be re-fitted with a ''elbow''-type top part,capable of being slightly ''bent'' backwards.;all of which will be remote-controlled from the bridge of course.

The whole set of modifications can be carried out wet dock ; a matter of swapping the relevent parts for newly machined ones; I suspect one ''out of service ''day would be enough to remove/install and test the new components.....

All that's needed is additionnal clearance of ~~ 1 meter, max.

But, this is my opinion only...''I ain't no engeener''...:eek:

We've all marked 8th May2014 here in Vancouver and will be anxiously watching from the Stanley Park Seawall near the Lions Gate when she sneaks in ~~ 5'30am or so....And I'm booked on the last Alaskan sailing of the season 12th September as this one ends in Vancouver , from where she'll sail right thru to Hawaii & Sydney. Guess where we'll be around 5;30am 23rd September...;)

Cheers

Yes, the necesary modifications will be applied to Solly before she leaves from DownUnder.

From what I understand, both funnels will be refitted with collapsible components near the top, and the Mast will be re-fitted with a ''elbow''-type top part,capable of being slightly ''bent'' backwards.;all of which will be remote-controlled from the bridge of course.

The whole set of modifications can be carried out wet dock ; a matter of swapping the relevent parts for newly machined ones; I suspect one ''out of service ''day would be enough to remove/install and test the new components.....

We've all marked 8th May2014 here in Vancouver and will be anxiously watching from the Stanley Park Seawall near the Lions Gate when she sneaks in ~~ 5'30am or so....And I'm booked on the last Alaskan sailing of the season 12th September as this one ends in Vancouver , from where she'll sail right thru to Hawaii & Sydney. Guess where we'll be around 5;30am 23rd September...;)

Cheers

Thank you for the great information!

I plan on being somewhere on deck as we sail under the bridge on May 8, 2014.

And I'm booked on the last Alaskan sailing of the season 12th September as this one ends in Vancouver , from where she'll sail right thru to Hawaii & Sydney. Guess where we'll be around 5;30am 23rd September...;)

Cheers

We'll be on that Ultimate Alaska cruise, too. Sadly, the day she sails under Lions Gate is the day we have to disembark -- wish we could come with you on the extended journey. When you get a minute, come over and join the roll-call! :cool:

Cheers

I am an engineer and I wonder how the change in configuration will effect the air flow at the back of the ship. when we first sailed Solstice at her inaugural Caribbean cruise, we noticed a lot of soot on the aft cabin balconey we stayed in. I think most of that issue was cleaned up over time, but little changes sometimes have big consequences.