Lunch in the Dining Room?

I was on the Glory last week and ate lunch in the Dining room 3 times. I really reccomend u take advantage of the lunches offered in the dining room becuase the choices are all very good. I don't have the menus but I can tell u some of the things offered: pepper steak - it was by far my favorite meal on the whole cruise (i also had it for lunch last year on the Paradise and once again it was my favorite dish - Carnival makes a wonderful pepper steak dish), fish -n- chips, Italian focaccia, baby back ribs, chicken caesar salad, various starters such as soups, fruit salads, vegetable dishes. Plus the desserts in the dining room for lunch are better quality than those offered on the Lido deck.

But don't they just stick you at a table with a bunch of stangers, who may be 2/3 done with their meals at the time you sit down? I'd like to eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room many day, but that factor really turns me away from it. The last time we ate breakfast there we were seated with a group that just ignored us until they finished and walked away.

You'd think they have so many table they could afford to seat every group at their own table for those less busy meals, but I guess not.

But don't they just stick you at a table with a bunch of stangers, who may be 2/3 done with their meals at the time you sit down?
No. In "open seating" they fill the tables somewhat sequentially, so that you will receive your courses at the same time as everyone else at the table. Would be total chaos any other way.

That happened to us on the second day of last week's cruise. we walked in the dining room for breakfast at around 9:30 and got seated at a table where everyone had already ordered and were eating their meals before we even got a chance to order ours! However this only happened once on the entire cruise. The next few mornings if the waiter noticed that all the tables were full or people had already started eating, we were seated at the solo table, which i really liked because it gave us some privacy. just point out your concern to the waiter and I'm sure he/she will accomodate you.

On our two port days on the Valor, the capers indicate that there is open seating in the Pacific Dining Room. I've always eaten lunch on the Lido deck. Has anyone ever eaten lunch in the restaurant? Anyone have any menus?

Can I View a Sample Luncheon Menu Online?spacer.gifLuncheon Menu - Day 1

Starters and Salads

California Roll

SC Caribbean Pepper Pot

Chilled Avocado Soup

SC Medley of Garden and Field Greens

Main Courses

Mongolian Steak Salad

Oven Fresh Sun Dried Tomato Baguette

Spaghetti Zia Tereasa

SC Pan Fried Fillet of King Clip Nicoise

V Vegetable Fajitas

Create your Own Burger

Desserts

Strawberry Banana Mousse

Chocolate Gateau

Creme Carmel

Ice Coupe Black Forest

Ice Cream - Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry

Sherbet - Orange, Pineapple

Luncheon Menu - Day 2

Starters and Salads

SC Seasonal Fruit Platter

Jamaican Red Bean Soup

Chilled Curried Apple Soup

Medley of Garden and Field Greens

Main Courses

Chicken Caesar Salad

SC Oven Fresh Focaccia

V Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Ravioli

Fish n' Chips

Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

Create Your Own Burger

Desserts

Lemon Mousse

German Chocolate Cake

Bread Pudding Chantilly

Ice Coupe Belle Helene

Luncheon Menu - Day 3

Starters and Salads

Antipasto

Old Fashioned German Lentil Soup

SC Chilled Orange Sory

Main Courses

Neptunes Chefs Salad

Oven Fresh Whole Wheat Baguette

SC Hay and Straw

Pan Fried Fillet of Idaho Rainbow Trout Almondine

Chinese Pepper Steak

Create Your Own Burger

Desserts

Gingerbread Cake

Apple Hollander

Tropical Fruit Terrine

Chocolate Sundae

Luncheon Menu - Day 4

Starters and Salads

Fried Calamari Rings

SC Cream of Spinach Soup

Chilled Essence of Fennel and Celery

Main Courses

Nicoise Salad

Philly Steak Sandwich

Linguini Gigetto

SC Salmon Paillard

Chicken Parmigiana

Create Your Own Burger

Desserts

SC Pina Colada Cake

Chocolate Eclair

Grand Marnier Cheesecake

Ice Coupe Jacques

SC - Spa Carnival Cuisine: These items are lower in calories, sodium, cholesterol and fat. Salads are prepared with diet dressing. Desserts are are prepared with Sweet'n Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar.

V - Vegetarian Entrees

I always have b'fast and lunch in the dining room. To me, it's SO much nicer, quieter, better than buffet food on Lido.:)

Just remember - You can wear shorts for b'fast and lunch, but no swimsuits or coverups.

I always have b'fast and lunch in the dining room. To me, it's SO much nicer, quieter, better than buffet food on Lido.:)

Just remember - You can wear shorts for b'fast and lunch, but no swimsuits or coverups.

The carnival site states no bathing attire in the dining room for dinner. I was planning on wearing t-shirts and shorts over my suit for breakfast. Am I not supposed to do that?

I love having breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms. Isn't that why we choose these types of vacations....to be pampered....

Also, do they have lunch in the dining rooms on port days? I didn't think I saw them listed in the Capers when the ship is in port.....

A version:

STRAW & HAY PASTA

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Salads Pasta

Christmas

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

4 c Coarsely chopped tomatoes

1/3 c Olive oil

6 ea Garlic cloves, minced

1/2 ts Crushed red pepper

2 ts Salt

20 oz Fresh spinach fettucine

20 oz Fresh yellow fettucine

1 c Packed fresh basil leaves

-- slivered

Place tomatoes in a large serving bowl. In a skillet, over very low

heat, warm oil, garlic, pepper & salt. When garlic begins to sizzle,

turn off heat & let garlic sit in the hot oil for 10 minutes. Pour

over tomatoes.

Cook fettucine till al dente. Drain & toss gently with tomatoes.

Sprinkle with basil & toss again.

The carnival site states no bathing attire in the dining room for dinner. I was planning on wearing t-shirts and shorts over my suit for breakfast. Am I not supposed to do that?

Somewhere it states that swimming suits and coverups are not allowed in the dining room for breakfast or lunch. It may be in the Capers, or in the Welcome Aboard booklet...but it's printed somewhere. However, if your swimming suit is completely covered by shorts and top, nobody should have objection. On one cruise, there was a sign at the dining room entrance at b'fast and lunch about attire.

(Definitely no shorts, tees, or swimming attire for dinner in the dining room.):)

Somewhere it states that swimming suits and coverups are not allowed in the dining room for breakfast or lunch. It may be in the Capers, or in the Welcome Aboard booklet...but it's printed somewhere. However, if your swimming suit is completely covered by shorts and top, nobody should have objection. On one cruise, there was a sign at the dining room entrance at b'fast and lunch about attire.

Cotton: Thanks for responding. I'm in the middle of packing and was wondering about this issue. I would definitely wear something to completely cover my suit. I will have my son wear shorts to breakfast and then have him change into his suit. Thanks again.

Another version of Hay & Straw.....from Bon Appetit magazine, and this is more similiar to Carnival's version:

HAY AND STRAW

12-oz. pkg. linguini

12-oz. pkg. spinach linguini

2 cups frozen green peas, cooked & drained

2 cups finely diced ham

2 cups prepared Alfredo Sauce

Cook the linguini al dente. Add other ingredients and toss. Serve warm.

On Celebrity's Infinity last month we chose to dine in the dining room for lunch most days. We weren't crazy about the idea of being seated with a different set of strangers every day, so we asked for a table for only the 3 of us. We were always accommodated. Will Carnival not do this? Thanks

Thanks for the menu descriptions -- they sound wonderful! On our first (and last) cruise, we never thought of having breakfast and lunch in the dining room, as it just seems so easy and fast to go to the buffet with plenty of choices. Also, I've read posts of people who complained about slow service in the dining rooms for B or L. Now I'm tempted to try the dining room at least once for either B or L.

If you are assigned a particular dining room for dinner, do you have to go to that dining room for B or L, even though the seating is open seating? Or do they only open one dining room for B or L? If both rooms are open and you can go to either one, is one location better than the other?

.......Also, I've read posts of people who complained about slow service in the dining rooms for B or L. Now I'm tempted to try the dining room at least once for either B or L.

I don't think you'll regret it! I've always found the service to be very fast for B&L in the dining rooms. Far less folks than at dinner.:)

Archived