Two days to go and no assignment - what can happen?

Aqua's Mom

Just called about cabin assignment for new year's cruise on Eurodam. I was told that ship's inventory is still trying to figure everything out and it will be at least Monday before I find out if there are upgrade or up sell possibilities. They are completely sold out, but there are still possibilities for an improvement on our VD guarantee. So, we'll keep waiting. If we get an up sell offer to a suite, what do you all think a reasonable price would be? So far as a possible upgrade is concerned, the rep I spoke with said star mariner status is a factor in assigning upgrades. Is that everyone's experience? I thought not...

Just called about cabin assignment for new year's cruise on Eurodam. I was told that ship's inventory is still trying to figure everything out and it will be at least Monday before I find out if there are upgrade or up sell possibilities. They are completely sold out, but there are still possibilities for an improvement on our VD guarantee. So, we'll keep waiting. If we get an up sell offer to a suite, what do you all think a reasonable price would be? So far as a possible upgrade is concerned, the rep I spoke with said star mariner status is a factor in assigning upgrades. Is that everyone's experience? I thought not...

It been my experience that mariner status counts for nothing even though they like it say it does. On any cruises I have been on when notes have been compared it seems newbies and anything up to 5 star get treated the same.

... the rep I spoke with said star mariner status is a factor in assigning upgrades. Is that everyone's experience? I thought not...
I don't doubt that it's "a factor" but what weight it has in the total formula is known only by HAL. With all the information they have about repeat cruisers, it wouldn't make business sense to just throw darts to choose who gets upgrades. I agree with cruz chic that first-timers often get very good upgrades as a "hook", but after that it's all a mystery to us outsiders.

I don't doubt that it's "a factor" but what weight it has in the total formula is known only by HAL. With all the information they have about repeat cruisers, it wouldn't make business sense to just throw darts to choose who gets upgrades. I agree with cruz chic that first-timers often get very good upgrades as a "hook", but after that it's all a mystery to us outsiders.

I would suggest that with as much as they keep track of, our spending habits would most likely get us an upgrade rather than straight days at sea. That would partially explain the extra days for spending. Many of the "high days" posters on CC talk about their lack of spending - ie: no HAL excursions, not purchasing from the shops, no spa treatments. Rewarding those who spend a lot on the ships makes more financial sense for HAL than just rewarding number of days.

Edited by richwmn

If you don't find out tomorrow, the porters at the pier will have a manifest with the cabin assignments and can tag your bags right there. My bet is that you get higher than the SZ. Good luck! :)

That is exactly what happened to us when we did Norway and the Baltic States in August. When we went to board the ship we didn't know whether we were on Deck 1 or 8! The rep looked at the manifest and lo and behold, we'd been assigned to Deck 8! What an upgrade and it didn't cost anything which was even better.

Ozcruizer

We were just upgraded from a VD guarantee to a V for the Eurodam New Years sailing. They told me this was the "best" veranda category, but I'm a little concerned about the noise on New Years Eve, being just under the lido deck. No chance of up sell. On our previous HAL cruise! we were upgraded from a veranda guarantee to a VC or VB - can't remember which- very nice cabin and location.

We were just upgraded from a VD guarantee to a V for the Eurodam New Years sailing. They told me this was the "best" veranda category, but I'm a little concerned about the noise on New Years Eve, being just under the lido deck. No chance of up sell. On our previous HAL cruise! we were upgraded from a veranda guarantee to a VC or VB - can't remember which- very nice cabin and location.

Never had any noise from the Lido. This is a carpeted area. Dinner stops early. Not much movement there before 7 or 8 AM.

I would not worry. Emjoy your upgrade.

Edited by happyglobetrotter

We just got our cabin assignment on the Dec. 29 Eurodam Collectors Cruise. Had a V guarantee and got a V, so it's all good! 8 more days, they'll be busy, busy, I'll be really ready for our vacation. Now I guess I'll start wishing for Late Dining rather than Anytime, not looking forward to that, we like knowing our table partners, wait and wine staff. Any hints?

... wishing for Late Dining rather than Anytime, not looking forward to that, we like knowing our table partners, wait and wine staff. Any hints?
In the Open seating you can make reservations for three days at a time, so if you get Open and like your table partners on any of the first couple of nights (and they like you), start making reservations for the same table in 3-day blocks.

Or, if no one wants to do that, when you walk in just ask for a table with the same servers that you have liked on any of the first few nights.

Edited by jtl513

I booked a Cat V on the Eurodam and loved it. It was great to be close to the lido deck and the pool. Never heard anything or disturbed from being that close to the lido deck. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Aqua's Mom;40992796]We are leaving tomorrow to board the Zuiderdam on Friday. We have a SZ guarantee (which we paid too much for, another story for another time). As of now we don't have a cabin assignment. I know that can happen all the way up to the pier. What happens when I get to the pier without a cabin?? (Usually I seem to remember we just hand bags to a porter). What is the best or the worst that has happened to you? ANY cruise is a good cruise, and ANY cabin a good cabin, but is it still possible for that little fairy to wow us? Your experiences, please![/QUOTE]

How was your cruise? I hope you had a great time. What cabin did you end up getting?:) I hope it was a big upgrade!! Edited by geocruiser