snorkeling in Roatan - which beach? rental? Confused

nanacallie

We will be on the Carnival Dream in January and hope to snorkel in Roatan. Would you advise that we book with an operator (Victor Bodden for example?) or could we just hire a taxi and rent equipment on some beach? I don't know how much money we would save by doing that. It would be nice to see other things and wouldn't mind a group excursion, but we don't want to waste any of our time on shopping and want to have plenty of snorkel/beach time. If we took off on our own, what beach would you suggest? What charge should we expect for a taxi. We would need to go where it would be easy to get a taxi back to the ship. We will need to rent snorkel gear. With all those variables should I look into an excursion rather than going on our own?

I think you will find that the taxi rates are about as much as a private driver, unless there are just two of you, and with the driver at your service you can do anything else you might desire..You do not have to shop or sight see. The driver will just take you where you want to go. For easy snorkeling right off the beach I suggest West Bay beach near Tabyana, but I have little knowledge on renting gear

We will be on the Carnival Dream in January and hope to snorkel in Roatan. Would you advise that we book with an operator (Victor Bodden for example?) or could we just hire a taxi and rent equipment on some beach? I don't know how much money we would save by doing that. It would be nice to see other things and wouldn't mind a group excursion, but we don't want to waste any of our time on shopping and want to have plenty of snorkel/beach time. If we took off on our own, what beach would you suggest? What charge should we expect for a taxi. We would need to go where it would be easy to get a taxi back to the ship. We will need to rent snorkel gear. With all those variables should I look into an excursion rather than going on our own?

We normally book through Bananarama directly. They pick you up and drop you off at the port, on your schedule. The fee includes chair, facilities and a welcome drink. You can also add a snorkel rental. We tend to snorkel further up towards Tabyana because there is less boat traffic.

Another option is the freestyle tour through Rony. Then you can decide where you want to go and when, and tack on a bit of an island tour as well.

We normally book through Bananarama directly. They pick you up and drop you off at the port, on your schedule. The fee includes chair, facilities and a welcome drink. You can also add a snorkel rental. We tend to snorkel further up towards Tabyana because there is less boat traffic.

Great information! Bananarama seems to be the best buy that I've seen so far. How is the snorkeling there? Is Tabyana far from Bananarama?

I highly suggest you look into booking Maya Key with the cruise line (it's the only way you can go there now since they changed the name from Fins and Flippers).

The place is amazing. It's a private island with different things to do there, but the snorkeling is out of this world...as much as your little heart can desire. You walk down the pier and go right in and it's the best thing ever. You can follow a marked path which will lead you out to the deep blue ocean drop off that you can't see anything below or in front of you.

I have a full review of our day there last year with TONS of pictures (located in my signature line). Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. It's highly worth every penny. :)

Another option is the freestyle tour through Rony. Then you can decide where you want to go and when, and tack on a bit of an island tour as well.

Have you had any problem (as was reported by one poster) with them not taking you back to the ship when you wanted to?

Have you had any problem (as was reported by one poster) with them not taking you back to the ship when you wanted to?

Nope, never had that issue.

And one time (I'm not proud to say) I was so wasted from the rum punches that I can't even believe they knew what I wanted when I went to ask for a ride. Not sure I was even speaking English.

I will say our one vehicle was a bit sketchy...the airbag had deployed and then been stitched back up like Frankenstein! Part of the fun of vacation I guess. ;)

I always just take a taxi to Tabyana/Bananarama beach area on West End and snorkel off the beach at the far left end. There's a huge rock just offshore with fantastic snorkeling and plenty of little places to rent gear for cheap! Then when I'm ready to go back to the ship there's always taxi's waiting. Easy Peasy....and a cheap day!

I always just take a taxi to Tabyana/Bananarama beach area on West End and snorkel off the beach at the far left end. There's a huge rock just offshore with fantastic snorkeling and plenty of little places to rent gear for cheap! Then when I'm ready to go back to the ship there's always taxi's waiting. Easy Peasy....and a cheap day!

How much would a taxi like this cost?

Are you refering to http://www dot barefeetbar dot com/ ???

:confused:

My experience are very good with Ronny and I look fwd to going back soooon! :)

No, this was referring to Bananarama -- one poster on another thread was quite negative, the only really bad review I've read for them.