The REAL stuff that they don't tell you:

eelyak

We drove to Galveston and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express where we left our car for the 7-day Rhapsody of the Seas Christmas cruise. Worked out great. Don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable, not much more than parking alone at the pier, and we always like to get to the port the day before sailing. Enjoy! Oh, there are no clocks in the rooms, so you may want to remember to take one!

Did the hotel have a shuttle or did you take a cab? And how was it getting back to the hotel after you disembarked? I know one or two hotels have shuttles, but they are 200/night and I don't know if this is an absolute necessity... please advise!

Thanks!

if you are going to ports where you would like to learn about the culture and the history, make sure you take a ship's excursion.

People complain about the costs of these excursions - how they can do it themselves cheaper and I agree - they can do it cheaper - BUT - there are types of ports where doing it on your own will result in a little less feeling of security (you don't really know the safety of the areas of the port) - and it will result in your "missing out."

So, if you are watching your bucks, pick and choose those ports where you do your own thing - and don't look at all ship's excursions as "ripoffs" - I know they are expensive, but some can be well worth the price - in order to get a safer and/or deeper experience.

Can't speak about your particular area, but we've used "Park and Fly Motels" in various areas and it has worked so well that we try and do it everytime we can.

Some Park and Fly hotels/motels seem expensive, but factor in the cost of parking somewhere else and the price looks better.

All places we used that offer Park and Fly - offer free shuttle to the airport - and free pickup when you return.

Consider the advantage of already being near your airport - so you can sleep later and not worry about traffic jams. Consider the convenience of having someone drop you off at your gate and helping you get your bags out of the car - and - it looks better and better.

Add to that - we consider that night at the motel as Day 1 of our vacation - a sort of decompression time. We had to be ready the day before - we had to be completely packed - we had no time for last minute stuff. Takes alot of stress out of the morning of your flight.

There are also Park and Fly parking lots - probably near all major airports. However, I prefer sleeping near the airport - and not worrying about traffic.

Some Park and Fly hotels/motels seem expensive' date=' but factor in the cost of parking somewhere else and the price looks better.[/quote']

We have even used a Park & Fly from our home town. We had a very early flight, they had a shuttle, and the price was less than the cheapest lot at or near the airport.

Charlie

Archived