Only One US Outlet in SPLENDOR Stateroom - Bring a European Adapter

SailorInaPastLife

I read on a Splendor review that there was only one space for one plug in the staterooms, one space not one outlet with space for two plugs. I use a CPAP and the outlet is next to the vanity near the front door. What I did not expect was a European plug also by the vanity and two for the lights near the head of the beds. Also there is a European plug by the vanity. Housekeeping could not supply an adapter. Guest services said the onboard shops might have one for sale. I traveled to Europe this summer and bought 6 adapters for $6 but had not brought one because I forgot that the Splendor was supposed to have been a Costa ship. Anyways, until Carnival gets smart enough to make guests happy by providing adapters they could supply for 25 to 50 cents each, I recommend checking if your electronic chargers, etc. can support European power and bringing an adapter. We were able to use my CPAP and charge Ipods, Ipads, laptops, and phones on our European trip.

A power strip would help; but an adapter would allow you to uses both plugs near the mirror and unplug the lamp to use its outlet near the head of the bed if needed.

well since the only things we need to charge a cell phones and tablets, I guess the power strip will do. Not spending $$ on converters that will get lost in a short time.

I read on a Splendor review that there was only one space for one plug in the staterooms, one space not one outlet with space for two plugs. I use a CPAP and the outlet is next to the vanity near the front door. What I did not expect was a European plug also by the vanity and two for the lights near the head of the beds. Also there is a European plug by the vanity. Housekeeping could not supply an adapter. Guest services said the onboard shops might have one for sale. I traveled to Europe this summer and bought 6 adapters for $6 but had not brought one because I forgot that the Splendor was supposed to have been a Costa ship. Anyways, until Carnival gets smart enough to make guests happy by providing adapters they could supply for 25 to 50 cents each, I recommend checking if your electronic chargers, etc. can support European power and bringing an adapter. We were able to use my CPAP and charge Ipods, Ipads, laptops, and phones on our European trip.

Can't speak for the Splendor specifically, but did you check to see what voltage the European outlet was? Generally, these are 220v, which is not a problem for things like laptop and phone chargers, but would kill your CPAP machine in a heartbeat. An adapter will not change the voltage but will only change the plug pin shape and configuration.

Just about every ship only has one plug in the main cabin (standard stateroom) and some or most had an outlet high up in the bathroom. I've always cruised with a power strip and an extension cord. When I use my phone as an alarm (or clock) I like to have it near me when I sleep even if it needs charging.

My wife uses a 220/240 Volt CPAP machine,we are sailing on

Paradise what voltage are the outlets and what type are they on the ship. Hope theres the correct voltage outlets.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Forums mobile app

That will never happen.

Can't speak for the Splendor specifically, but did you check to see what voltage the European outlet was? Generally, these are 220v, which is not a problem for things like laptop and phone chargers, but would kill your CPAP machine in a heartbeat. An adapter will not change the voltage but will only change the plug pin shape and configuration.

There are adapters that also include a voltage converter. I have one by Samsonite that I purchased in Target about 13 years ago, and have used on many European trips.

I keep my adapter in my suitcase, and was on the Splendor over the summer, and that little light bulb in my brain never came on. Thanks for the tip for my next trip, OP.

Correct. You would need a 220 to 110 step-down transformer rated to the wattage of the CPAP machine (40 watts?). Not a small or light (3 lbs or so for a 200 watt model) item. Not sure I'd trust the $8 Chinese ones.

Had these all over the house in Germany back in the day.

My cpap will accept the 220 voltage. The Conquest outlets at the desk will both accept an American connector but only one of them is 110v. I used a normal black 12 foot extension cord and plugged my cpap into the 220 outlet so we could charge phones and cameras overnight.

Uh oh. We sail on the Splendor next week and I use a C-Pap also!

In the past I have plugged an extension cord into one of the "regular American" outlets I have managed to find in the cabin and then plugged my C-Pap into that. Are you saying that there are NO regular outlets at all? Sorry, if I misunderstood. I just can't live without that C-Pap!

Oh geez! Just hit the back button and saw that the title of your post does say that there IS one. Pheew!!

For the more electrically inclined people here: If I purchased one of the adapters, can I plug my iphone into it, or would it "ruin" it somehow, because of American vs. European voltage or something?

Thanks,

Oh geez! Just hit the back button and saw that the title of your post does say that there IS one. Pheew!!

For the more electrically inclined people here: If I purchased one of the adapters, can I plug my iphone into it, or would it "ruin" it somehow, because of American vs. European voltage or something?

Thanks,

Your Iphone will be just fine with only an adapter (you don't need a converter). The charger for the Iphone has a built in converter. Many charging device do.

However, don't plug your hair dryer into just the adapter. My daughter did this in a hotel in Barcelona. WOW did that hair dryer work! It was like a heated tornado. Fortunately I figure it out fairly quickly based on a burning smell.

My cpap will accept the 220 voltage. The Conquest outlets at the desk will both accept an American connector but only one of them is 110v. I used a normal black 12 foot extension cord and plugged my cpap into the 220 outlet so we could charge phones and cameras overnight.

Just off theConquest We had cabins 2470 & 6481. Both cabins had one American 110 outlet and one 220v European outlet. Thankfully I brought an adapter with me.

Just ordered this from Amazon

Simran SM-60 Universal Power Strip 3 Outlets for 110V-250V Worldwide Travel with Surge/Overload Protection

Can plug it in the European outlet and then use the American one as is. This I won't lose.

I don't think this will plug into the European outlet. It is wired for a US outlet. It will accept devices from other countries but will only plug into a US outlet.... I dint think will help you. Take a look and someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Just off theConquest We had cabins 2470 & 6481. Both cabins had one American 110 outlet and one 220v European outlet. Thankfully I brought an adapter with me.

It does, but if you look in it there are American spade connectors in it. They are the American format but at 220 volts so you wouldn't want to use a power strip or surge protector in that outlet.