How much time should we spend in Montserrat?

Turtles06

We have a port day in Barcelona next fall on a TA. Since we've been to Barcelona before, we'd already decided that we would use this day, or at least some of it, to visit Montserrat, so I was happy to see the very positive comments about Montserrat on another recent thread.

I am posting this here because I have a very specific question: we will probably be booking a private tour, likely with several others on our Roll Call. Should we plan to spend the entire time in Montserrat --- is there really enough there to justify that? (Assume we won't be hiking)

Or, can we truly do justice to Montserrat while still leaving ourselves some real time to see things back in Barcelona? (For example, we haven't been to Parc Guell, we might want to do that.)

(Our ship is scheduled to be in port from 8:30am-8:00pm.)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Turtles06

If you are not going to be hiking, you certainly don't need all day at Montserrat. If you are booking a private guide, they should be able to customize it for you. Parc Guell is a good choice if you haven't been there. A couple of hours there will probably do the trick.

Since recently or very soon Parc Guell Will have to be Pauw with a limited amount of tickets sold, i have heard so I think it is best to prepare well if you want to visit it

You are correct.

They started charging at the end of October 2013. This is just for the Monumental Zone (the part most tourists would want to see) and costs €8 per person (€7 if booked online in advance).

They are limiting numbers to 400 every half hour.

Expect about 2-3 hours in Montserrat. Maybe 4 hours if you want to go higher up on the funiculaire. The trip to and from will take you 1 hour each way. Using public transportation this will be all you do. On a private tour you probably have time for an extra site. The sagrada familia is great (even if you have been there before)