can I check-in but actually board hours later?

I would hate to cut things that closely because anything could happen to slow down or stall getting to the ship. An extra half hour or more would help.

Unfortunately that's not an option at all. But now that it appears very likely that I can teach from the ship I'm feeling much better. :)

Perfect! I'm so glad that I brought this up because I feel so much better about this situation. I'll check into the roaming charges but I'm not real worried about that!

The three US based carriers in Puerto Rico are AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. We have AT&T, and its just like being home - no roaming charges. Not sure about the other two. Verizon doesn't directly service Puerto Rico. They sold their coverage to a local company named Claro, and I don't know whether there is any reciprocity between the two anymore.

Edited by orville99

90 minutes before the scheduled sailaway is the deadline for being checked in, not the deadline for boarding. The OP will have checked in well before the check in deadline and is only concerned about how late she can actually board. That is usually one half to one full hour before the ship is scheduled to sail. The exact time should be available at the pier at check-in time.
This does not agree with what is posted at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=1166&faqSubjectId=330&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Leave&faqType=faq

which says in part:

Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail.

MAYBE RCI is not holding to this policy, but that is what is on their website.

Thom

The Sheraton Convention Hotel is 5 minutes by cab from the Pan Am pier; stayed there last year. It's the building to the left of this pic, on the other side of the air field, taken from my balcony on Adventure. There was free wi fi in the hotel. Plenty of cab availability at the hotel.

IMG_0225.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Here is my situation: my husband, brother, and two year-old daughter and I are sailing out of San Juan in January. Sail time is 8:30pm and check in is from 1-7pm. I teach an online class from 3:30-6:30pm that day and I plan to do so from the Sheraton one mile away. Can I go check in with my family at 1pm and then just leave and go to the Sheraton after we get checked in and get all our cards? Then I would quickly cab back and board at 6:30pm. If anyone can think of a better plan I'm all ears. I know that the internet on board will not be good enough for my class.

Thank you!

not sure what Sheraton you are at but Ole San Juan is a little more than a mile from the port. Muster our last two b2b's have been 6-630pm. Only ones that were coming onboard late were on royal caribbean transfers and coming in late due to the snow and weather delays. We had to be back on board by 5 pm on turn around day...that was all aboard posted time. Don't plan much until you actually get there and get onboard...then you can go back off ship but make sure you are back by the posted all aboard.

Thanks, everyone! This is so helpful.

I had not thought about the muster drill, but yes, it is the Jewel. I am assuming that they won't have muster until boarding time has closed, so if I'm on shortly after 6:30pm I would think that I'm safe.

What is the hotel closest to the cruise port? I had thought of staying at the Sheraton Convention Center (at 200 Convention Center, San Juan) because that appears to be only 1 mile and 3 minutes away, but maybe I'm confused about where the cruise port is.

I didn't know if the wireless system would be good enough there to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless transmitter, but if it is that is the best option. Can anyone confirm that you've used this? If it's good enough for Skype it will work for class. EDIT: I just checked and it's Verizon 3G coverage. Would that likely work?

Many thanks!

I'm not sure it's even a full mile. You could walk in 15-20 minutes, were it not for the airport runway that's between the hotel and the pier. You'll be fine.

90 minutes before the scheduled sailaway is the deadline for being checked in, not the deadline for boarding. The OP will have checked in well before the check in deadline and is only concerned about how late she can actually board. That is usually one half to one full hour before the ship is scheduled to sail. The exact time should be available at the pier at check-in time.

In all of our ports, all aboard was 30 minutes prior to sailing. I realize that embarkation is different because of muster drill, but if is going to be finished with her seminar at 6:30, then she has an hour before muster drill and should be just fine.

not sure what Sheraton you are at but Ole San Juan is a little more than a mile from the port. Muster our last two b2b's have been 6-630pm. Only ones that were coming onboard late were on royal caribbean transfers and coming in late due to the snow and weather delays. We had to be back on board by 5 pm on turn around day...that was all aboard posted time. Don't plan much until you actually get there and get onboard...then you can go back off ship but make sure you are back by the posted all aboard.

The OP is at the Sheraton Convention Center, which is not in old San Juan. It is very close to the port.

Verizon has no roaming charges in PR. I would encourage you to not try to cut it down to the wire. There can always be circumstances that could delay you and when the door is closed it doesn't open again! Even something so simple as going through security could cause enough delay if others are trying to board another ship in port.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I don't think that just 3G can support Skype... it's just a step up from dial-up/DSL, in my experience.

It's fine, we have 3 g and even some extended network (when the little o shows)in Maine and we can Skype and viber, not as well as LTE 4G but it works.

OP, so long as the ship is in port and you can get a cell signal to use your cell service that would be your best bet.

Jewel has experimented with different musters (5:30 and 8) in the past, but last month it was only one at 8:00 pm.

The folks right in back of us checking in were checking in and then heading right back out to OSJ- they were told to be on board 1/2 hour before muster; the all aboard time is different from check in time. Once you have checked in at least 90 minutes prior, you can leave and enjoy the port until all aboard time, which will be posted or you will be told when you "bong" out (if you decide to go that route!)

You all have been amazing--I really appreciate how you made my problem your problem!

So as of now the plan is to check how well the wireless works using my phone the day before the cruise. I'll certainly check in as soon as check-in begins, and then either teach from the ship (if the wireless is working well using the phone) or leave the ship and teach from the Sheraton a few minutes from the ship (if the phone just isn't cutting it). I will definitely report back as to how things go.

Again, thanks so very much!

Edited by alwaysflyin

Also be prepared you might have to tell your class...hang on I have to do the drill for about 30 minutes...depending on what time the captain has designated.

Are you on the Adventure or the Jewel? Teaching a class on a Saturday night or Sunday night depending on the ship is dedicated for sure.

Also be prepared you might have to tell your class...hang on I have to do the drill for about 30 minutes...depending on what time the captain has designated.

Are you on the Adventure or the Jewel? Teaching a class on a Saturday night or Sunday night depending on the ship is dedicated for sure.

With that, I keep thinking that if class ends at 6:30pm and the deadline to check in is 7pm, that they can't do muster before they have everyone there. Hope that I'm right!

I wish that I didn't have to teach and could just get on and enjoy, but I do, so at least this way I can work out all the logistics in advance.

I was thinking, if this were me, I would probably put up a podcast or two. Have the students listen to that and be prepared to discuss. I'd then shorten the class a little, and/or if technology completely failed me, I wouldn't fail the students. If you have access to BlackBoard you could track who clicked on the podcast links. Talk to your IT department and see if they have any suggestions. Distance learning has been a hot topic for a while.

I was thinking, if this were me, I would probably put up a podcast or two. Have the students listen to that and be prepared to discuss. I'd then shorten the class a little, and/or if technology completely failed me, I wouldn't fail the students. If you have access to BlackBoard you could track who clicked on the podcast links. Talk to your IT department and see if they have any suggestions. Distance learning has been a hot topic for a while.

I appreciate your thoughts, but it's just not an option. My company's requirement is that there be two live teachers teaching all classes, without exception. I can get a sub for one class in the course, but I already have a sub for something else during the course, so this one I have to teach live.

After talking with all of you great people I know that I can make this work! I think that my brother in law has either an ATT or Sprint phone and I'm going to test the wireless on that as well.

As I don´t think this has been mentioned. If you Need to leave for the Sheraton again, I would not only check-in, but actually board the ship and then leave again. This way you have your photo taken and attached to the seapass already and are registered as boarded and on shore again opposed to "just" checked-in.

It will save you some time if cutting it Close when returning to the ship, as you don´t have to go through the pic taking procedure.

As I don´t think this has been mentioned. If you Need to leave for the Sheraton again, I would not only check-in, but actually board the ship and then leave again. This way you have your photo taken and attached to the seapass already and are registered as boarded and on shore again opposed to "just" checked-in.

It will save you some time if cutting it Close when returning to the ship, as you don´t have to go through the pic taking procedure.

exactly...not sure if that subject was mentioned but great advise. I am so hoping that the OP doesn't have to leave the ship. Also get to the ship and checked in and on board as soon as you can so that you can get a compass and see when muster is and all aboard in case you have to adjust your situation.

exactly...not sure if that subject was mentioned but great advise. I am so hoping that the OP doesn't have to leave the ship. Also get to the ship and checked in and on board as soon as you can so that you can get a compass and see when muster is and all aboard in case you have to adjust your situation.

OP will also be able to confirm the "all aboard" time as she is leaving the ship.

With that, I keep thinking that if class ends at 6:30pm and the deadline to check in is 7pm, that they can't do muster before they have everyone there. Hope that I'm right!

I wish that I didn't have to teach and could just get on and enjoy, but I do, so at least this way I can work out all the logistics in advance.

our musters on the adventure in feb were at 615 and lasted thirty minutes. Captain did them at that time to not interfere with dining. We saw people boarding with rccl reps as our station person told us 160 people were missing still due to the storms that had delayed flights. told us busses were at airport waiting to bring them to the port. We saw 40 or so and people were clapping that they made it...all had heavy coats on...we felt for them...that is why we always fly in a day early in the winter time...

some of the folks that missed muster from getting in late had to do it that night with our room attendant. We had three cabins by us and they told us about their adventure...they were supposed to stay a day earlier but flights were jacked up from earlier in the days before departure...but they made it. Marie went over everything with them and then took them to their muster station and they signed off they did the info with her and then went to dinner. They told us next morning they came right back to bed...exhausted from traveling but so thankful they booked their air with choice air so royal knew where they were at all times.

Now there is another report on the boards somewhere where a young couple showed up at 245 to board their ship in fort lauderdale and 230 was the deadline for checking in and people saw them walking away from ship with their luggage and they were denied boarding.