Power Strip

djhsolara

Does Carnival now permit power strips to be brought onboard?

We attempted to do this a few years ago on Pride and it was confiscated from our luggage (we had been told directly by Carnival to bring it and then they confiscated it and we waited in our stateroom for a few hours the first night for a solution from maintenance). We need a power strip to plug in both of our CPAP machines (since most rooms only have one outlet).

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad

Does Carnival now permit power strips to be brought onboard?

We attempted to do this a few years ago on Pride and it was confiscated from our luggage (we had been told directly by Carnival to bring it and then they confiscated it and we waited in our stateroom for a few hours the first night for a solution from maintenance). We need a power strip to plug in both of our CPAP machines (since most rooms only have one outlet).

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad

This is pasted from the Carnival website: " power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard". Usually this means that the cord and plug needs to be in very good or new condition. I usually get flamed for this, but what most cruise lines object to are power strips that have a surge suppressor integral to them. A power strip that does not claim to be a surge suppressor, but that has an on/off switch (which also acts like a circuit breaker) is normally acceptable. These are normally the cheaper power strips, and the surge suppressor is not required and normally won't be effective anyway.

We were on the Pride in October 2013 and we used a UL approved power strip in our cabin. I plan on taking one in January when we cruise again on the Pride. Have fun and enjoy. :)

Edited by JMAE

This is pasted from the Carnival website: " power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard". Usually this means that the cord and plug needs to be in very good or new condition. I usually get flamed for this, but what most cruise lines object to are power strips that have a surge suppressor integral to them. A power strip that does not claim to be a surge suppressor, but that has an on/off switch (which also acts like a circuit breaker) is normally acceptable. These are normally the cheaper power strips, and the surge suppressor is not required and normally won't be effective anyway.

This.

It also seems to be hit or miss. Safest bet is to just take a cheap extension cord or power tap.

I have been on six cruises and have carried on a power strip all six times and had no problems bringing it on, I wasn't even asked about it.

So you carried it on rather than having it in your checked luggage?

Sent from my iPad

Off the Victory this past Saturday and had 2 new surge protector with on/off swith in our checked luggage and no problem getting them. I have read on multiple sites that if for medical use, to keep it with the machine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Off the Victory this past Saturday and had 2 new surge protector with on/off swith in our checked luggage and no problem getting them. I have read on multiple sites that if for medical use, to keep it with the machine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Ours was in the case with the machine ( sleep ) & our charger for our scooters.

They took out of the case & brought us a 50 foot exention cord. What a goat rope that was. I picked it up the mornin' of our turn around B2B2B & had it in the cabin for the next two cruises.

We were on the PARADISE & they had a lot of training going on. When I ask was told that there were four collages going at one time. I guess when they are training there is no gray.

I have brought power strips on every one of my 20 cruises (including 5 Carnival). Sometimes in carry-on bags. Sometimes in checked luggage. Through out each cruise, the power strips have been left out on the desk all day. Sometimes plugged in charging a camera battery. Sometimes unplugged.

It has never been an issue. No one has ever even mentioned it.

Probably, just common sense... don't bring something that is damaged, worn, or can be a fire hazard. For those who have had it confiscated, there's probably a bit more behind why...

I have brought power strips on every one of my 20 cruises (including 5 Carnival). Sometimes in carry-on bags. Sometimes in checked luggage. Through out each cruise, the power strips have been left out on the desk all day. Sometimes plugged in charging a camera battery. Sometimes unplugged.

It has never been an issue. No one has ever even mentioned it.

Probably, just common sense... don't bring something that is damaged, worn, or can be a fire hazard. For those who have had it confiscated, there's probably a bit more behind why...[/QUO

There was nothing more to it. It was a new cord that never comes out of the case. We have cruised 15 or 16 times this year ( would have to check ) and have never had a problem. Still just like new. Like I said there was a lot of training going on.

I have a CPAP, which I didn't have last time I cruised. I contacted the special services department and they told me that I could bring a power strip and an extension cord onboard, provided they were in good condition. They also STRONGLY recommended carrying it on in the same case as my CPAP. As it's medically necessary, it's allowed.

I have a CPAP, which I didn't have last time I cruised. I contacted the special services department and they told me that I could bring a power strip and an extension cord onboard, provided they were in good condition. They also STRONGLY recommended carrying it on in the same case as my CPAP. As it's medically necessary, it's allowed.

That's exactly what they told us when it was confiscated. I'm thinking of requesting an email stating that I can take it onboard.

Sent from my iPad

Hi :)

I also use the Belkin. No cords & no issues with customs. I simply

pack it in my carry-on along with my camera equipment..

powerstrip_zpsa6dfd261.jpg

:)

Is this the 2.1 AMP. This is the third adapted I have ordered and returned. The regular 1 AMP can slow down charging if three phones are doing it at the same time. Also with the 2.1 AMP you can get a rapid charge. Does the 1 AMP version swivel like the 2.1 AMP version does. BTW, it was almost double the cost of the lower amp one.

Is this the 2.1 AMP. This is the third adapted I have ordered and returned. The regular 1 AMP can slow down charging if three phones are doing it at the same time. Also with the 2.1 AMP you can get a rapid charge. Does the 1 AMP version swivel like the 2.1 AMP version does. BTW, it was almost double the cost of the lower amp one.

Is this just for charging or can it be used for medical equipment?

Sent from my iPad

I did this on a B2B on the Breeze this summer and no worries. Just put it in your CPAP case and carry it on.

• 6 months later...

My power strip was confiscated on the Carnival Dream last week! It left us in bad shape....the steward provided an extension cord to provide more outlets thank goodness. Now i know to bring only a simple power strip.

I've got the Belkin also. Love it. I always bring it in my carry on with my camera stuff. At the same time I can charge both my reader and mp3 via USBs, and charge both my camera batteries in the outlets.

Sticker on back: Max Load is 15A 125V 60Hz 1875W