Pearl balcony vs mini suite

3DBeach

Has anyone stayed in both a balcony cabin and a mini suite on the Pearl? I'm wondering if there's a huge difference in either the room size or balcony size between the 2 categories. I saw the square footage difference in the website but looking for opinions from my fellow cruise crazy friends lol.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've stayed in both. Nothing wrong with the balcony cabins, but we much prefer the minis. The cabin is bigger, curtain around bed, tub, full length couch, and the actual balcony is slightly bigger. Here's a link to Pearl mini pics from a couple of years ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite?sort=2&page=1

The mini definitely feels more roomy to us.

Deck 11 has an overhang from deck 12 above and it extends way out over the deck 11 balconies that are midship. Farther forward or aft you will get more direct sunshine as there is no overhang there. If you find a photo of pearl, jade, gem or jewel, you will see what I'm talking about.

Still I'd take the balcony or the mini to be on a cruise! :)

Edited by mizlorinj

• 4 months later...
We've stayed in both. Nothing wrong with the balcony cabins, but we much prefer the minis. The cabin is bigger, curtain around bed, tub, full length couch, and the actual balcony is slightly bigger. Here's a link to Pearl mini pics from a couple of years ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite?sort=2&page=1

Hey Roger,

I am currently booked in 10662 to Alaska. I noticed that the price for a guarantee mini-suite is now the same price. I really want to move to a mini-suite but am concerned about what others have said on CC about the noise from deck 12 above the mini-suites. Since it would be a guarantee, I would not be able to pick my cabin and need to be ok with any of them. Having said this, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Since you are familiar with balcony and mini-suite cabins on the Pearl.

Thanks, John

How many folks in the room? If more than 2, then the mini is clearly the winner due to the layout. In the balcony there's a thin flip out couch between the main bed and balcony door for the 3rd person. If a 4th person, a bunk pulls down in front of the balcony door, blocking it.

In a mini none of this is an issue. There's a queen -sized couch bed next the balcony that doesn't obstruct access to the door, plus a curtain to separate that couch from the other bed.

Having said that, I would not take a mini GTY. Why? You can get under a very loud teen club or a gym that will be full of early risers running on treadmills. How much is it to upgrade to a non-GTY mini? Can't be much more

Edited by sdmike

Having said that, I would not take a mini GTY. Why? You can get under a very loud teen club or a gym that will be full of early risers running on treadmills. How much is it to upgrade to a non-GTY mini? Can't be much more

It is actually about $350 more per person to get a non-GTY mini. That's why I was only considering the GTY mini as it would be the same as my balcony on deck 10. I've already spent over $1200 on some bucket list excursions in Alaska so don't really want to spend $700 more just for some extra space, especially since there are only 2 of us in the cabin. Thanks for your advice. I feel better now about sticking with my balcony. Maybe I'll see if there are mini-suite upgrades available once on-board where I know the cabin location. But doesn't sound worth the risk of taking a GTY.