"Dress up" night on Epic

Midwest Cruisers

We are sailing the Sunday to Sunday Epic Cruise 03-30-14. Our sea days are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Does anyone know which sea day would be the dress up, formal dinner night? We want to make restaurant reservations on a night that isn't the formal night. The meal in the main dining room on formal nights is usually great and we don't want to miss out on that one!

We are sailing the Sunday to Sunday Epic Cruise 03-30-14. Our sea days are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Does anyone know which sea day would be the dress up, formal dinner night? We want to make restaurant reservations on a night that isn't the formal night. The meal in the main dining room on formal nights is usually great and we don't want to miss out on that one!

The fact that you will be on Epic does not matter. NCL does not have formal nights on any ship, on any sailing, at any time.

You are, of course, free to dress up on any or all of the nights of your cruise if you wish to do so. However, NCL will NEVER require you to dress up. No venue will EVER turn you away for not being dressed up.

Resort casual is all that is ever required.

We're afraid we're going to MISS having formal nights! We love them! In fact, one of the reasons we're going on this cruise is because I can fit back into my little black dress I last wore on formal night on a RCCL cruise in 2002!! I told mr.cool IF I ever get back in that dress, you're taking me on a cruise! We were hesitant to book on NCL for this very reason, but we've already done all the ports available on RCCL. Will people look at us funny if we DO show up kinda formal???

Is there even any correlation between "dress up or not" nights and the dining room menus anymore? On my Star cruise in April it seemed that which nights were optional dressy were chosen not by the hotel staff but the photography department--after the first one, the other two were announced in the Daily only in tiny print in the photographer's section, and the dinner selections were no more remarkable than any other night. Like the OP I too am curious about the Epic as I am contemplating grabbing one of their last-minute deals for January.

Edited by fishywood

I wore a tux several times aboard NCL ships. I've noticed that the amount of passengers who wear formal wear is largely dependent on time of year and location. I tend to cruise NCL during the peak seasons in the Caribbean, and on those cruises only a handful of passengers bothered to dress up. Even then, they usually wear dark suits and cocktail dresses, nothing that would really fit the standard definition of formal. Some passengers commented on my tux, but I don't remember anyone gawking or trying to make me feel awkward. If you don't mind sticking out like a sore thumb, go for it. For what it's worth, I don't bother bringing my tux anymore when I cruise NCL.

Just off the Epic 12-07 sailing and according to the 12-08 Freestyle Daily, the night of the first sea day was indeed officially "Dress Up or Not Night" despite those who insist it no longer exists. "Tonight is a great night to dress up. Get all decked out and look like a million!". Not mandatory of course. Later in the week is Norwegian's Night Out as well. You will see people on any night who like to dress up a little. Feel free to dress up as much or little as you like whenever you like.

As far as something special in the MDR that night, there was lobster ( nothing special ), but you might consider booking a specialty restaurant like Cagney's instead. We were pretty impressed with the steak we had there, and IMO the atmosphere is much more elegant. The MDR is very loud although the live music is a nice touch.

Just off the Epic 12-07 sailing and according to the 12-08 Freestyle Daily, the night of the first sea day was indeed officially "Dress Up or Not Night" despite those who insist it no longer exists. "Tonight is a great night to dress up. Get all decked out and look like a million!". Not mandatory of course. Later in the week is Norwegian's Night Out as well. You will see people on any night who like to dress up a little. Feel free to dress up as much or little as you like whenever you like.

As far as something special in the MDR that night, there was lobster ( nothing special ), but you might consider booking a specialty restaurant like Cagney's instead. We were pretty impressed with the steak we had there, and IMO the atmosphere is much more elegant. The MDR is very loud although the live music is a nice touch.

Thank you for the update from the Epic. As for lobster night, the one thing carved in stone for me is that I will be in one of the specialty restaurants that night whether or not it is dress-up-or-not. On the Star in April lobster night was a regular night--but at 8:15 there was still a 45 minute wait for Aqua or a 60 minute wait for Versailles. We and many others were still sitting with a pager at the normal closing time waiting to eventually get our straight-from-the-freezer lobster tail. (Which was still better than the half-a-tail they serve on Celebrity, but never again if there is any wait).

Thank you for the update from the Epic. As for lobster night, the one thing carved in stone for me is that I will be in one of the specialty restaurants that night whether or not it is dress-up-or-not. On the Star in April lobster night was a regular night--but at 8:15 there was still a 45 minute wait for Aqua or a 60 minute wait for Versailles. We and many others were still sitting with a pager at the normal closing time waiting to eventually get our straight-from-the-freezer lobster tail. (Which was still better than the half-a-tail they serve on Celebrity, but never again if there is any wait).

I was told by someone on our Roll Call that you could get lobster at Cagney's for no extra up charge on "lobster night", but never spoke to anyone who did that. We did go to the MDR and also got a pager. Was told 30 min and sat at the bar right in front of the door with our free drink for some people watching. Not sure of the exact wait, but not 30 minutes for sure. My experience was that the wait anywhere was waay less that the time they gave you. All the restaurants have beautiful and comfortable areas to sit if there is any wait, couches and chairs or a nice bar area. Unlike the standing room only cold drafty halls at home. ;)

Is there even any correlation between "dress up or not" nights and the dining room menus anymore? On my Star cruise in April it seemed that which nights were optional dressy were chosen not by the hotel staff but the photography department--after the first one, the other two were announced in the Daily only in tiny print in the photographer's section, and the dinner selections were no more remarkable than any other night. Like the OP I too am curious about the Epic as I am contemplating grabbing one of their last-minute deals for January.

I wasn't aware that there ever was any correlation between "dress up or not" nights and the menus....especially given that NCL has done away with the concept of "dress up or not" since it doesn't differ in any way from a non-dress up or not night.

You are right...photographers set up more stations on sea days as this is when most passengers who want to dress up will dress up.

Easy to remember....the dress code is resort casual on every day, on every sailing, on every ship. You are free to dress "above" resort casual if you wish, however, this will never be required and no venue will ever turn you away for not dressing up.

No worries.

Just sailed on the Epic, you will find more people dressed up than not. So wear your fancy outfits. you will not be alone. Its more like an nice evening on the town is the atmosphere. I had more folks look at me crazy because i wasn't dressed. LOL but its freestyle so i gave them the hard 'says something' stare back and I didn't have any problems.

You have options. If you feel like putting on the heels, then fine...if not...you are still fine.

No worries.

Just sailed on the Epic, you will find more people dressed up than not. So wear your fancy outfits. you will not be alone. Its more like an nice evening on the town is the atmosphere. I had more folks look at me crazy because i wasn't dressed. LOL but its freestyle so i gave them the hard 'says something' stare back and I didn't have any problems.

You have options. If you feel like putting on the heels, then fine...if not...you are still fine.

You said it right tiffygirl. It's "FREESTYLE". so if I want to wear my tux or dinner jacket or a suit I will. I like to quote a very special philosopher whenever this topic comes up. " Every girl crazy bout a sharped dressed man"....:D