Distilled Water

HGVGuy

Hey all!

My dad uses a CPAP, and uses distilled water. I know he can bring it on the ship, but does it have to be unopened? He just opened a new one, and I need to know if I should buy a new unopened one.

Thanks!!

My dh uses a CPAP also. Before the first cruise he took it on he asked his doctor about using the tap water on board. Dr. said that the filter system on cruise ships makes the tap water as safe as distilled for the CPAP. He's used it on 5 or 6 cruises, not a problem.

I have a BiPAP/CPAP, and had no problem with using tap water in the cabin. I had checked before with my equipment provider, and was told that it would be fine.

Be sure and take a good extension cord, as there is only one outlet in the cabin. Or, on our last cruise on the Conquest, I went to Guest Services and got a heavy extension cord with 3 outlets- just had to leave a deposit which was returned when I took it back.

Sent from my iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

Edited by WazAnOkie

My dh uses a CPAP also. Before the first cruise he took it on he asked his doctor about using the tap water on board. Dr. said that the filter system on cruise ships makes the tap water as safe as distilled for the CPAP. He's used it on 5 or 6 cruises, not a problem.

Thanks for this information -- good and helpful to know for many. :)

LuLu

~~~~

As many others have posted, the use of ship's water for short periods will not damage (cause deposits to form) CPAP machines. Ship's water generally has less minerals than even softened water, and is nearly distilled. I know some lines sell distilled water for use in these machines, and other lines will provide it for free, but what they are generally doing is taking a gallon jug down to the engine room and having the engineers fill it directly from the evaporator that makes much of the ship's water.

It depends on the line and the port, but in many cases, all beverage containers (water bottles, soda, etc) must be sealed, as this is one way to smuggle alcohol onboard.