Gluten Free Cruiser Review/Information

hscbaseball15

My son is 6.5, he was diagnosed with Celiac shortly after his 5th birthday. We cruised last August and he was in heaven - and I was in heaven watching him. The nutritionist came around every night at dinner with the next night's menu... and I was pleasantly surprised at how many things they could accommodate/alter for him... I would say... "well, he can't have x or y, right?" and she would say, "yes, we can do that." He enjoyed the GF pizza on deck too, though it was sometimes a long wait. We are going again this August and I can't wait.

Thanks for your post. We are bringing a first time cruiser with Celiac on Dream in April. She is obviously always concerned about dining out, and when I was telling her some of the things I'd read about the GF offerings on Carnival she was in disbelief. Your reviews of the foods and the locations onboard to get GF will be very helpful for her.

Glad that you had a good experience. To be honest, I don't think the individual cruise line matters that much, as opposed to the individual staff members you work with on the ship that you're on.

All of the lines handle gluten free (and other special diets) more or less the same way, which was nicely described by the original poster. So if you enjoy Carnival, great! But don't feel you need to restrict yourself to just one particular line thinking it's the "best" for your dietary needs.

Good and bad stories abound for every single cruise line. Best thing you can do to ensure the best experience possible is become better informed about how the cruise lines handle special diets (my free online guide is a good start).

We just returned from one week on RCL and one week on Carnival. The main dining rooms do great! Waiting for them to both offer more for dessert and a snack. Princess seems to be pulling ahead in that department. If you wanted something to go with a coffee it is non existent on the other lines. I do appreciate what we do get! It really does depend on the staff. Some bend over backwards to help you and others treat you like an inconvenience. Other than the desserts I was happy with Carnival.