Coast Guard medevacs woman from cruise ship Grandeur of the Seas

A great job by the Coast Guard. It must be very difficult to hoist and load a gurney with a patient on it while hovering over a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. The pilot did a great job of maintaining position. Hope the patient is doing better.

I spent way more then my far share of time in helicopters and was really impressed with how steady that pilot was holding above the ship.

Two years ago, I saw them medivac a woman, her husband, and a ship's nurse from the Liberty of the Seas from my forward facing cabin.

Since there were around 50 MPH crosswinds, it made the whole thing even more amazing.

The Coast Guard people deserve all the kudos they get. To them it is a job. To the people they save, it is life and death!

. . . The Coast Guard people deserve all the kudos they get. To them it is a job. To the people they save, it is life and death!
They certainly do. Thanks to the Coast Guard personnel everywhere for what they do and for making the amazing seem routine.

The article said the patient was stable. Praying she recovers fully.

OMG! They couldn't get her in - she must have been terrified! She looks young, dark hair.

They got her in just fine. Nothing in that footage that is out of the ordinary for a stretcher lift. The basket litter being used is larger than the normal "rescue" basket that is used (you sit up with your legs bent, and is narrower), so the winch is perfectly sited to bring the basket up to the door. Even then, the crew chief generally needs to swing the basket to get it parallel to the aircraft, which he did just below the helicopter here. A little pressure to get the basket out beyond the side of the helo and in she goes. The process of getting a basket litter into the helo is also complicated. Because the winch head is outside the helo, he needs to lower the winch as he pulls it into the body of the helo, which requires some coordination. Also, the crew area of the helo is pretty crowded, and he is shoving stuff out of the way (the rescue basket for example) to get the basket litter into position so he can then move back to the winching location and bring the rescue swimmer back up.

Believe me, when you need an air evac, you are not in much condition to worry about what is happening during the lift.

Anyone know what determines whether they send a helicopter or return to port? We had a medical emergency 3 hours into our FOS sailing earlier this month and returned to Port Canaveral. I am not sure why they chose to do that over sending a rescue vehicle or pulling into a port closer to the turn around point. I really hope the ill person has been able to recover.

Anyone know what determines whether they send a helicopter or return to port? We had a medical emergency 3 hours into our FOS sailing earlier this month and returned to Port Canaveral. I am not sure why they chose to do that over sending a rescue vehicle or pulling into a port closer to the turn around point. I really hope the ill person has been able to recover.

From what various Captains have said in their talks, a helicopter evacuation has many inherent risks, and they weigh the condition of the patient against the risks of the helicopter evac.

Weather, medical condition, and relative availability of the assets (is it quicker to get back to port in 3 hours, or send a helicopter from somewhere 2 hours flying time away). Helo's are much slower than airplanes. While the Coasties make these rescues look routine, all of them are dangerous to the helo crew, the rescue swimmer/paramedic, and the patient. If the patient can maintain stable condition while the ship returns to port, that is generally a better option.

You can't take most cruise ships into just any port. If the ships do not routinely call there, the pilots and the Captain will not have the necessary local knowledge to bring a large ship into an unknown port. You have to consider wind, current, channel width and depth, whether the ship can make all turns, whether there is sufficient dockage available, many, many considerations.

Believe me, when you need an air evac, you are not in much condition to worry about what is happening during the lift.

I think if I was in that situation I would need to be heavily sedated... if it was for something like a heart attack, I think being pulled up there and dangling over the sea might just seal my fate.

This photo was taken as we were leaving St. Maarten a few weeks ago when we were on the Jewel. The passenger was being taken off of the Grandeur. What is going on, on that ship?

gosmed.jpg

Nothing is going on, on this ship?

It is common place somewhere everyday for these medical incidents or accidents to happen,

whether you are at home, playing, working

or traveling on a cruise ship, airplane or by auto!

Its real life!! Life goes on!

Buy insurance

Enjoy your vacation while you can!

Edited by ssb

We were in the dining room when she became ill. The "Alpha" call was immediate and crew ran to her immediately. We were on the other side of the room so we aren't aware of the nature of the emergency. Our prayers go out to her and her family.

Nothing is going on, on this ship?

It is common place somewhere everyday for these medical incidents or accidents to happen,

whether you are at home, playing, working

or traveling on a cruise ship, airplane or by auto!

Its real life!! Life goes on!

Buy insurance

Enjoy your vacation while you can!

I was being sarcastic, since it was two not too common ordeals on the same ship within two weeks. All your comments are obvious.

Edited by lv2bcruzin