What Would You Do If You Were Carnival CEO?

Florissouri

I would enjoy living in South Florida so I could set aside a few hours each week to walk onto a ship in port unannounced and have lunch at the buffet on Lido Deck.

This would give me an opportunity to chat with guests and employees to ask where they're from and what they like or dislike about cruising on Carnival.

I would schedule not only occasional staff meetings onboard the ships, but Board of Directors meetings as well in the unused conference rooms. I've heard they even have caterers in house.

Then I would stroll over to Swirls and see how good the soft serve ice cream is.

Edited by Florissouri

I would hire teams of cruise "mystery shoppers" and have each ship in the fleet "shopped" once a month, more if needed, to evaluate the Carnival product from the perspective of the guest to ensure product quality fleet-wide.

And yes, I am available to volunteer! ;)

Edited by sanmarcosman

There's something to be said about moving (or at least getting a second home) where your cruise line has its headquarters.

When Kevin Sheehan was appointed CEO for NCL, he immediately bought a condo in Miami where he could actually watch the ships sail in and out (and what a condo! It was shown on Undercover Boss).

It's no secret that NCL has made a huge 180 degree turn in the right direction since Mr. Sheehan has been the CEO. Maybe Carnival's CEO can learn a thing or two.

I would hire teams of cruise "mystery shoppers" and have each ship in the fleet "shopped" once a month, more if needed, to evaluate the Carnival product from the perspective of the guest to ensure product quality fleet-wide.

And yes, I am available to volunteer! ;)

In order to do that, though, you actually have to live near a port. You couldn't live in say St Louis and make that work.

Anyway...You take San Diego and I'll volunteer for Ft Lauderdale.

I would get rid of all the carbon copy so called " ART "on Carnival Corp ships :rolleyes:.

Here's a clue , if the auctioneer tells people that the Art is worth thousands, while starting the bidding in the fifty dollar range , you may need a stiff drink afterword's .

CNBC Special.

I would appoint myself as the hotel director of ice cream and all problems would be solved. :D

I'm sorry, but Hotel Director is a very important position on a cruise ship and you have to actually know how to assemble a Taylor Soft Serve Ice Cream machine and instruct others on its proper use. ;)

Find out what $50 per person more per fare ($150,000 per 3,000 persons onboard) could restore from what has been cut. Then I would market the experience $50 more could put back.

I'd definitely consider an increase in fare to bring back some of what has been lost.

One thing would be for darn sure. No ship would have a faded "funship funnel" (cough-Victory-cough). Your company's icon should not have dull/faded paint.

I'd consider a Fantasy Class ship to sail from San Juan to Dominica, Grenada, Antigua, Martinique, etc... Where Valor doesn't go.

Edited by seannyice81

I'd definitely consider an increase in fare to bring back some of what has been lost.

One thing would be for darn sure. No ship would have a faded "funship funnel" (cough-Victory-cough). Your company's icon should not have dull/faded paint.

I'd consider a Fantasy Class ship to sail from San Juan to Dominica, Grenada, Antigua, Martinique, etc... Where Valor doesn't go.

When Fantasy was in Mobile, the funnel had turned a dark shade of pink. LOL

What "you people" don't understand about modern day cruising is it's not about cruising. It's about ancillary revenues from gambling, alcohol, gift shops, excursions and those terribly annoying photographers. It's like Las Vegas where they draw people with entertainment, cheap buffets and low price hotel rooms so they can get gamblers.

When Fantasy was in Mobile, the funnel had turned a dark shade of pink. LOL

When I was on Valor a couple weeks ago, I noticed there had been some touching up. At least they were trying.

Every time I see a Victory review here, the funnel looks downright chalky. You could probably write obscenities on it with your bare finger.

If I was CEO I would put back some of what was taken away....

Steel drum band back on lido

New ports--less dependency on Bahamas and Mexico

Purchase a private Island for Carnival ships to use and develop it so two ships can visit at the same time

Production shows--the new Playlist is OK, but the old shows weren't bad...have ONE production show, one variety show, a passenger talent show, and three nights of comedy in the big lounge.......

Turn the night club into the a Red Frog Pub on each and every ship and have a band playing in the pub.

Get rid of the art auctions

Lido food--every ship must have a Cuchina del Capitano, Guy Burger, and Blue Iguana Cantina.....

Bingo--limit the bingo's and have more fun games/activities in the big lounge. Bring back The Quest for the late night adult fun...

Pricing of the cruise will have to be raised slightly, but it would be worth it to have some of the old fun back...

Naturally, head office big wigs would need to have twice annual trips on various ships to see what is going right and what is wrong....Send in "secret shoppers" on each ship each quarter to evaluate the ship and crew...

There is probably more, but I can't remember it now...working all day hurts my brain..

To name a few...

Add the Steel drum band back to lido deck

I would study the MDR usage. Create a MDR opt out option and if you want to eat in the MDR you must use any time dinning and be charge a fee.

Use the past guests as part of the quality control review process. After completing an evaluation the guest would receive a discount on their next cruise.

Reduce the number of tables for wait staff

Improve communication

Improve the VIFP program

Change the ports

Add no fee drink in the staterooms (non alcoholic)

I'm relieved to know they I'm not the only one that notices these things. I know that some will say that they don't care if the funnel is faded, but it does contribute to a negative image.

5. Remove Freeport from all future sailings

Call me crazy, but I actually like Freeport more than Nassau! :o

Edited by Tapi

1. Really get out there and publicize the changes that have happened post-Triumph. So many potential cruisers have an "anyone but Carnival" mentality because of the sound bites they have heard on the news a year ago. Carnival has invested in hundreds of millions in new equipment and has a new CEO, so they should use that to devise a very clever PR strategy to address the lingering aftertaste of the media circus from last year.

2. This is more of a Carnival CORPORATION issue than a Carnival CRUISE LINES issue but: create an "alliance" of loyalty programs between Carnival Corporation brands so they all become one big program. Airlines do this (you can use your United miles to fly Lufthansa to Germany since they're in the same alliance). Hotels do this (same corporate parent, same loyalty program for Hilton vs. Hampton Inn). Over a lifetime of cruising even your best passengers will want to try different cruise experiences, and making VIFP work on Princess will nudge that VIFP member towards Princess rather than Celebrity in the future.

3. Institute a program where over the next few years, with each ship's next drydocking, every Carnival ship gets the new post-Farcus decor.

4. Greater variety in ports. New York-to-further-south-than-Grand-Turk closed loop itineraries. Better balance in HMC calls (more of them) vs. Freeport/Nassau calls (a few less of them). Perhaps do what RCCL did with Labadee in addition to CocoCay and acquire a second exclusive beach location (get to keep more shoreside revenue that way!).

1. Really get out there and publicize the changes that have happened post-Triumph. So many potential cruisers have an "anyone but Carnival" mentality because of the sound bites they have heard on the news a year ago. Carnival has invested in hundreds of millions in new equipment and has a new CEO, so they should use that to devise a very clever PR strategy to address the lingering aftertaste of the media circus from last year.

I don't think Carnival really wants to publicize all of the changes such as suspending retirement benefits for crew members in order to cut costs.

And I don't think this is very clever PR...

Donald also disputed a CNN report regarding the Triumph and called a lawsuit by passengers against the company "frivolous."