What Would You Do If You Were Carnival CEO?

Florissouri

I am a very New to cruising person, but even with my limited experience, I can tell you that no tablecloths is not good for business. I would like to see a route from Florida to Bermuda, currently everything sails out of s. Carolina or New York I believe to go there. I would definitely want the CEO down here at least 4 months of the year in Florida as we have the most ports of any state, with Miami being their major location. I would set up a deal with the NBA and the Heat to give discounts on tickets if you sail with Carnival, kinda like a hotel +airfare deal you get now. Also, I would the Performing Arts centers and the Miami Art Museum, people will sail from a particular location if they know they will have alternative things to do both before and after they sail. Good for the cruise business and good for the city which promotes it. Would like to see more advertisement of the clubs on the boats, only the punchliner is every really promoted. Until I read this website had no idea the Piano Bar was even that interesting much less something we might want to check out. Definitely do the "undercover" work to ascertain that product quality is still strong. It is one thing to get the customers view point, quite another if you are the ceo, or coo, who actually knows what they company's goals are.

I would hire teams of cruise "mystery shoppers" and have each ship in the fleet "shopped" once a month, more if needed, to evaluate the Carnival product from the perspective of the guest to ensure product quality fleet-wide.

And yes, I am available to volunteer! ;)

I'm applying!:D

There's something to be said about moving (or at least getting a second home) where your cruise line has its headquarters.

When Kevin Sheehan was appointed CEO for NCL, he immediately bought a condo in Miami where he could actually watch the ships sail in and out (and what a condo! It was shown on Undercover Boss).

It's no secret that NCL has made a huge 180 degree turn in the right direction since Mr. Sheehan has been the CEO. Maybe Carnival's CEO can learn a thing or two.

I am very anxious to see what Sheehan had led NCL to. Have seen so much positive over the past few years

Line has fallen behind the curve on new builds and needs to correct quickly. I think the need to take 2 or 3 of the fantasy class ships and do the following:

Bolt a wrap around promenade around deck 5.

Hang the life boats under it.

Add balconies to almost all rooms from deck 6 up.

Redo the pool decks putting cabanas or suites where the boats used to be.

If I was CEO I would put back some of what was taken away....

Steel drum band back on lido

New ports--less dependency on Bahamas and Mexico

Purchase a private Island for Carnival ships to use and develop it so two ships can visit at the same time

Production shows--the new Playlist is OK, but the old shows weren't bad...have ONE production show, one variety show, a passenger talent show, and three nights of comedy in the big lounge.......

Turn the night club into the a Red Frog Pub on each and every ship and have a band playing in the pub.

Get rid of the art auctions

Lido food--every ship must have a Cuchina del Capitano, Guy Burger, and Blue Iguana Cantina.....

Bingo--limit the bingo's and have more fun games/activities in the big lounge. Bring back The Quest for the late night adult fun...

Pricing of the cruise will have to be raised slightly, but it would be worth it to have some of the old fun back...

Naturally, head office big wigs would need to have twice annual trips on various ships to see what is going right and what is wrong....Send in "secret shoppers" on each ship each quarter to evaluate the ship and crew...

There is probably more, but I can't remember it now...working all day hurts my brain..

Your hired. :p

If I were carnival CEO that means I am paid extraordinary well right?

I have loads of stock and stock options right?

What would I do? I would retire!!!

It amazes me that people who are very rich even bother to show up at all. Who needs the pressure

Begin a Carnival Overhaul Program that would

1. Remove the 50 foot TVs from the Lido deck and replace them with live bands.
  2. Remove "Comfort Food" from the menu
  3. Start a trial project that would overhaul two ships removing the MDR and replacing them with multiple specialty dining rooms
  4. Announce a fleet wide face-lift of all ships to take place over 5 years to transform the interiors of all ships from the disco 1970's look to something more modern
  5. Increase the staff in all MDR's
  6. Overhaul all MDR menus with a goal to have a significant improvement in quality of food offered
  7. Commit to holding the line on fare increases for 5 years to rebuild the Carnival commitment to the customer.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

3. Start a trial project that would overhaul two ships removing the MDR and replacing them with multiple specialty dining rooms
  4. Announce a fleet wide face-lift of all ships to take place over 5 years to transform the interiors of all ships from the disco 1970's look to something more modern
  6. Overhaul all MDR menus with a goal to have a significant improvement in quality of food offered
  7. Commit to holding the line on fare increases for 5 years to rebuild the Carnival commitment to the customer.

Other than quality food and a freeze on fares, it sounds a little like NCL. Specialty restaurants (surcharge) are a trademark of NCL.

Good thinking! I like many of your ideas.

I would try competition lines (RCL, NCL, etc) and see what their products offer. Then improve!!!!! starting from entertainment, pool size, amenities, service. I mean, Carnival has a great disadvantage to most lines we've sailed.

If I were CEO, I would add more ports to go too, go back to Europe, build more ships comparable to oasis, when sailing out of LA do pacific coastal, ask passengers how they can improve. Combine all the loyalty among princess, costa etc so if you book on another cruiseline you can still get credit.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I like your ideas, however the last one does not seem realistic if you're looking to spend so much on the prior listed initiatives. Everything you want takes $$, but you want the fares to remain the same...

Sent from my iPad

What Would You Do If You Were Carnival CEO?

I would probably make a lot of mistakes, as that's a role I'm definitely not trained for.

But I would start by making two decisions that would definitely be beneficial for this company as a whole.

I'd consult with a real estate relocation expert to find the best purchase deal possible for two particular home properties in the city. I'd also contract with a quality moving company, and arrange a large number of boxes.

I'd walk unannounced into the office of Vickey Rey and advise that her efforts were recognized, but her role with CCL was no longer needed. I might even end with the statement, "Betcha didn't see that one coming". ;)

I'd then do close to the same with James Doucheberra, but would hand him a blank sheet of paper and a pen, and ask him to list his best timely accomplishments since arriving on the scene five years ago. Once he got to number 4 and started staring at the ceiling and scratching his head I'd fully realize my next step was indeed necessary. I'd take the keys to the company vehicle and suggest he share a cab with Vickey. :)

Yep, that's how I'd get started. :D

I would probably make a lot of mistakes, as that's a role I'm definitely not trained for.

But I would start by making two decisions that would definitely be beneficial for this company as a whole.

I'd consult with a real estate relocation expert to find the best purchase deal possible for two particular home properties in the city. I'd also contract with a quality moving company, and arrange a large number of boxes.

I'd walk unannounced into the office of Vickey Rey and advise that her efforts were recognized, but her role with CCL was no longer needed. I might even end with the statement, "Betcha didn't see that one coming". ;)

I'd then do close to the same with James Doucheberra, but would hand him a blank sheet of paper and a pen, and ask him to list his best timely accomplishments since arriving on the scene five years ago. Once he got to number 4 and started staring at the ceiling and scratching his head I'd fully realize my next step was indeed necessary. I'd take the keys to the company vehicle and suggest he share a cab with Vickey. :)

That's good , don't forget Rob Borden, Vice President of Customer Marketing

I think Yogi would have done a better job than James LOL

I'd fire some folks for the mess they have created with the cruise line. change the entertainment back. put table clothes back on the tables, fire the dj and replace him with live music. id return the midnight buffet as well as the chocolate buffet. might even bring back the pillow mints. Id put the funships back in the funships.

I'd fire some folks for the mess they have created with the cruise line. change the entertainment back. put table clothes back on the tables, fire the dj and replace him with live music. id return the midnight buffet as well as the chocolate buffet. might even bring back the pillow mints. Id put the funships back in the funships.

How much would you raise prices?

Bill

I would get live entertainment from local performers at the ports we are visiting. It might be possible to use performing art schools for bands and vocalist to entertain on the lido deck, especially on sea days. I always enjoy listening and singing with piano bar muscians and watching people dance.

I would continue MD meals with table cloths and business casual or formal attire required. It is a must for those who appreciate nice dining. Other options are available in the pizza area or buffet.

More changes are in order for sure.