Dry snorkel and Optical mask?

jarand

DH and I will be headed to Cayman Islands, Cozumel, and Princess Cays for several B2B cruises in a couple of weeks. I am so excited to try snorkeling for the first time, and my dreams are that it will lead to low-key scuba diving in the future. I definitely want to be sure it goes well for DH, who is less comfortable in the water than me.

We live in Colorado. NO chance of getting to a scuba store in time to try and buy prescription masks or dry snorkels. So my questions are:

1. Will we be able to rent optical masks in Cozumel and at Grand Cayman (Edens' Grove?) that would at least allow us to see "good enough"? Anyplace in particular? What do we watch for?

2. My understanding is that most rental places don't provide dry snorkels. Is there an inexpensive dry snorkel I could buy online that we could use with a rental mask and fins?

Thanks!

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/tusa-liberator-plus-dive-mask/

Call and buy this mask with the appropriate lenses which they also sell for $25. each. I have used these masks for scuba and snorkeling for over 20 years--bought a new one recently from diversdirect and had them install the lenses. If you have a recent prescription--google the proper formula or whoever you talk with may be able to help.........the mask and lenses are $100. snorkel will be around $20. This will fit most but not all faces--a local diveshop could be useful here............

the dive shop at EDEN ROCK does not rent 'optical correction' masks as far as I know ... they certainly don't list them on their web price list

The ONLY place I know that rents them for day use is Discovery Cove in Orlando . . . Sea World

Given the cost of the item, I'd NOT recommend buying unseen/untested over the web.

BUT IF you can visit a Divers Direct store en route your cruise you MIGHT be able to build a corrective mask for about $100 . . . . (might = basic near/far they have in stock but say a bad stig' nooooooo .... been down this road with dd btw)

You can buy 'dry snork' over the web safely ... expect to pay $20

'dry snorkel' is a myth btw ..... just learn how to clear properly . . . you'll be better in the long run and it ain't hard . .

what eye issue do you have? The water and plain mask apply a magnification factor on their own . . .

do you wear contacts? DD and DW dive in contacts ... both for over 100 dives. Check with your dr.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 2 weeks later...

A 'dry snorkel' won't allow any water to get in the breathing tube such that you might get it in your mouth or inhale it.

They've been designing these things for 50 years .... I saw my first one when I was about 10 and dd just bought the current version. If it worked they wouldn't keep 'improving' them would they?

The dry ones have various flaps and valves to keep the water out, and direct the water that gets in anyway, away from your mouth.

these are $50 dry snork's

ScubaPro-Nexus-Semi-Dry-Flex-Snorkel-1-Big-2.jpg

My snorkel has a mouth piece and a tube about 1 inch diameter. When water gets in I clear it by blowing thru the tube .. blowing the water out.

Basic snorkel skill . . .

038038_big.jpg

$20 but curiously, basic snorkels like mine can cost as much as dry ones because of "improvements" in THAT design too!